This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Which Type of Rental Car?

Which Type of Rental Car?

Author
Inactive User
Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 4 Sep 2019 7:42 AM Visits: 0
Hello all!

My two friends and I will traveling to Ireland in July. Being from the US and never trained in art of manual transmission, I'll be renting an automatic. We will be traveling from Dublin to Cork, Galway, Donegal, Belfast, and back to Dublin over 2 weeks. I am wondering what kind of rental car would be best? We are three women (which means larger luggage) but mostly I am wondering about the roads. Would a standard/compact car be sufficient or would you all suggest a SUV? Any advice would be helpful. Thank you and Happy Easter!

Cheers!
Brianne

Posted Sun 27 Mar 2016 10:15 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)
Hi Brianne, welcome to the forum!

How exciting that you and your friends are coming over to Ireland in July. I would go at least for a medium people carrier size car, that allows you 4 bags. The rental companies include the baggage allowance with all of the cars in their fleet and you can see how much you are bringing over for your trip. You can find all the car rental companies on the Car Rental Council of Ireland website. 

I don't know where in Ireland you will be visiting but there might be a fun event you can join along the way. :)

Posted Mon 28 Mar 2016 8:55 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Hi Ghyslaine,

Thank you so much for your suggestion! I am currently playing "who's cheapest?" will all the rental companies but I'll be booking sometime this week.

Our agenda for our visit is about three days in each city, from July 9th-22nd: Dublin, Cobh, Killarney, Galway, Donegal, and Belfast. Being an Irish-American, I am very excited to be returning back to my roots (West Cork and Carndonagh, Donegal)!
Posted Mon 28 Mar 2016 4:55 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Hello Brianne, it's great to see Ghyslaine's suggestions were helpful to you! I'm sure that, depending on the car and car rental company you choose, you will find a great deal.

Your itinerary sounds wonderful, by the way! It gives you a great chance to compare two museums dedicated to the Titanic: the impressive Titanic Belfast, where the transatlantic was built, and the Titanic Experience in Cobh, which was the ship's last port of call. West Cork is a stunning area and you will definitely love sites like the Old Head of Kinsale, Sheep's Head (our narrowest peninsula!) or the Beara Peninsula - you could even take the only cablecar in Ireland and reach the unspoilt Dursey Island.

In Killarney you will find lots to do with many nice restaurants: it is the starting and ending point of the scenic Ring of Kerry as well as the gateway to the Killarney National Park, so rich in not only history (with Ross Castle and Muckross House) but also the loveliest fauna (red deer live there!). Galway is well-known for its colourful, lively atmosphere and this will be enhanced during those days thanks to the Galway International Arts Festival taking place from 11 to 24 July. Lastly, you'll love Donegal: it will feel like standing at the edge of the world, facing the Atlantic Ocean on its high Slieve League Cliffs and reaching Ireland's northernmost point, Malin Head. Returning back to your roots will be fun, being surrounded by so many exciting adventures! You're going to drive along the Wild Atlantic Way and, when heading from Donegal to Belfast, make sure you drive on the Causeway Coastal Route as the amount of legendary sites there will amaze you (my profile picture, Mussenden Temple, is proof of that)! On top of that, the city breaks at Belfast and Dublin will provide lots of musical and cultural experiences.

I've collected all this information in this online album for you. If there's anything else we can help with, please do ask. :) 
Posted Mon 28 Mar 2016 6:39 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Alessandra,

Thank you so very much for your suggestions. As a history buff, I have already planned both Titanic locations for visits! I can't wait to visit. Thanks again!

Slainte,
Brianne
Posted Mon 28 Mar 2016 11:24 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (18.3K reputation)Industry Member (18.3K reputation)Industry Member (18.3K reputation)Industry Member (18.3K reputation)Industry Member (18.3K reputation)Industry Member (18.3K reputation)Industry Member (18.3K reputation)Industry Member (18.3K reputation)Industry Member (18.3K reputation)
Dublin, Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 3 Oct 2019 10:12 AM Visits: 336
I would recommend an SUV for comfort and purely so you can see in over ditches as you wander along the gorgeous windy roads of Ireland!! It's great to be able to really see the countryside, the animals in the fields and discover quirky sights as you traverse through the landscape. And of course to carry all your luggage!! There are loads of great gift shops, boutiques and curiosity shops around the country, not to mention fabulous local cosmetics, and handcrafts such as locally crafted candles. You will definitely pick up lots of gifts and treats for yourself, so the extra storage might come in handy! Have a wonderful time!
Posted Wed 30 Mar 2016 11:51 AM
Question