This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

How to join in with the Musicians

How to join in with the Musicians

Author
Posted Mon 21 Aug 2017 2:16 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm hooked
I'm hooked (479 reputation)I'm hooked (479 reputation)I'm hooked (479 reputation)I'm hooked (479 reputation)I'm hooked (479 reputation)I'm hooked (479 reputation)I'm hooked (479 reputation)I'm hooked (479 reputation)I'm hooked (479 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
United States
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 21 Aug 2017 2:16 PM Visits: 4
I am planning a trip next summer for my talented granddaughter's graduation from high school.  She plans to go on to music school and her wish is to play fiddle with the musicians in the Irish pubs.  She has been playing and studying violin since age 4.    We have not booked any accommodations as yet but plan to spend a few days in Dublin before taking a tour - perhaps by small van.  It would be great if she could visit many pubs along the way and perhaps meet with the musicians and get invited to join them.  Thank you, Grandma Byrne
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 21 Aug 2017 8:13 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.9K reputation)Community Expert (65.9K reputation)Community Expert (65.9K reputation)Community Expert (65.9K reputation)Community Expert (65.9K reputation)Community Expert (65.9K reputation)Community Expert (65.9K reputation)Community Expert (65.9K reputation)Community Expert (65.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 27
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 14 hours ago Visits: 4.5K
Hello, Katherine.

Thanks for taking the time to post on the forum, I remember your question from our Facebook page.

I remember mentioning the Traditional Irish Pub Crawl in Dublin as a possible idea to start things off. It would be great if our fellow members have any more suggestions.

As your itinerary isn't fixed yet, I would also suggest starting with, Irish Music Tours as a possible tour toperator who specializes in music tours. Another that springs to mind is Authentic Ireland, who offer a host of different tours that could fit the bill.

There is another community post regarding Traditional Music in Ireland, take a look and see if this is of any interest too.

I will leave it there for more suggestions from the community.

Regards
Profile Picture
Els
Posted Thu 24 Aug 2017 3:32 PM
View Quick Profile
Esteemed User
Esteemed User (2.8K reputation)Esteemed User (2.8K reputation)Esteemed User (2.8K reputation)Esteemed User (2.8K reputation)Esteemed User (2.8K reputation)Esteemed User (2.8K reputation)Esteemed User (2.8K reputation)Esteemed User (2.8K reputation)Esteemed User (2.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 16
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 4 Jul 2020 8:34 PM Visits: 188
Hi Katherine!

Your granddaughter is so lucky! :)

If you have not yet decided on when to come, I will advise you to maybe check the dates of some of the Music festivals.

There are few during the summer including the Fleadh Cheoil. This festival is an all Ireland music festival which is generally mid/end August. Not sure where it will be next year but during this festival, the town becomes a stage for anyone who wants to play!

Ciaran did list as well some pubs on this thread last year, have you read it?

About tours, I do not know much but I saw some tour companies in this community, they should be able to help you!

Good luck with the planning!

Elo
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 24 Aug 2017 4:05 PM
View Quick Profile
Forum Expert
Forum Expert (939 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 22 Mar 2018 4:33 PM Visits: 50
Hey Katherine! I would definitely recommend the Fleadh Cheoil (music festival) too! Derry had the pleasure of hosting the festival in 2013 and I have to say, the experience was something else. Sounds like exactly what you're after too - musicians playing everywhere and anyone is welcome to join in. If your dates are flexible, I would keep an eye out on the dates/location for the 2018 event.

I wish you all the best with the planning!

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 24 Aug 2017 4:37 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (26.5K reputation)Industry Member (26.5K reputation)Industry Member (26.5K reputation)Industry Member (26.5K reputation)Industry Member (26.5K reputation)Industry Member (26.5K reputation)Industry Member (26.5K reputation)Industry Member (26.5K reputation)Industry Member (26.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 25
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 8 Jul 2020 8:33 AM Visits: 512
Hello Katherine

What a lovely way to celebrate your granddaughter’s graduation. Ireland is the perfect destination for your granddaughter to use her wonderful talents and also enjoy the craic of a traditional Irish music setting. Here are a few links that I hope will be of use to you.

A Guide to Ennis in County Clare     What's on in Donegal   To Explore an Island is to Risk Obsession

You mention that you haven't yet booked your accommodation. May I suggest that you book B&B accommodation in the location of Traditional Irish Music Festivals. Bed and Breakfast homes also tend to be a stroll away from the local pubs that host trad music sessions. Your granddaughter maybe able to join in or request to play a few jigs of her own. B&B hosts will be happy to advise you.
B&Bs in Ireland - The Perfect Holiday Accommodation in Ireland.

I hope you and your talented granddaughter enjoy a wonderful trip to the Emerald Isle.

Regards
Claire
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 24 Aug 2017 6:02 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (6.1K reputation)Industry Member (6.1K reputation)Industry Member (6.1K reputation)Industry Member (6.1K reputation)Industry Member (6.1K reputation)Industry Member (6.1K reputation)Industry Member (6.1K reputation)Industry Member (6.1K reputation)Industry Member (6.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Sat 30 Jun 2018 1:40 PM Visits: 79
Hi Katherine
Most sessions are very open and friendly.Best advice is to get chatting to the musicians when they are on a break, tunes can be pretty lively for a newcomer to slot in with but there will be lots of encouragement I am sure

Depending on where you are going the following are venues with sessions, although best to email or phone to be 100% sure.
Dublin
The Cobblestone - most evenings 
O'Donoghues Baggot Street - every night 
Nancy Hands Parkgate Street - Saturday night 
The Villager Chapelizod - Wednesday night 

Limerick 
Dolans - every night 

Clare
Bellbridge House Hotel, Spanish Point - believe it is Tuesdays

Tipperary
Rohans, Nenagh - Wednesday night 
Ballina/Killaloe
Liam O'Rians - Tuesday night
The Washer Woman - Wednesday night and Sunday afternoons
The Anchor - most Friday nights 

You will have a fab time, Ireland is awash with music and wonderful musicians
Enjoy!
Majella
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 11 Jul 2018 3:37 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (20.9K reputation)Community Expert (20.9K reputation)Community Expert (20.9K reputation)Community Expert (20.9K reputation)Community Expert (20.9K reputation)Community Expert (20.9K reputation)Community Expert (20.9K reputation)Community Expert (20.9K reputation)Community Expert (20.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 34
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 7:11 AM Visits: 6.1K
Hello, Katherine.

I just wanted to check on how your daughter's trip went and if she had a great time with the musicians over here.

Looking forward to hearing about it. Please, do not hesitate to share with us all the best moments, photos and videos, your daughter had during the journey.

Francesco