"Main" co. Derry

"Main" co. Derry

Author
Posted Thu 24 Aug 2017 9:38 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I have ancestors who were born and married in "Main", co. Derry in the early 1800's. The information is on the birth certificate of Alexander McKay. (1855) His mother , Matilda Martin , was born in Main, co.Derry and his father, Alexander Mckay born in Mosside,co.Antrim. They married in 1837 in Main, co. Derry. Can anyone tell me where Main is? I can see Mosside on the map, but no "Main". Thanks.
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 25 Aug 2017 9:57 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi, Wendy.

I'm over the moon that you have joined us here on the Community - all the way from our Irish Family History page!

Although I am not too familiar myself with there being a 'Main' we do have some members located in the county that may have some expert insight who may be able to shed some light on this.

Are you considering visiting the Emerald Isle to possibly check out the particular area?

I'm looking forward to hearing more about this!

All the best,

Colin
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 25 Aug 2017 11:34 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 16
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 20 Jul 2022 7:52 PM Visits: 328
I wonder do you mean "MALIN" and I do understand that I am directing you towards Co Donegal.

Malin Head is located on the Inishowen Peninsula, County Donegal, Ireland and is the most northerly point of the island of Ireland. The northernmost tip is the headland named Banba's Crown located at latitude 55.38ºN.

Conor
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 25 Aug 2017 5:23 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 9:20 AM Visits: 5.9K
Hi Wendy

Thanks for your inquiry. Initially, I wasn't familiar with Main in County Derry but I have looked further into this. I have researched town-lands throughout the county and have found information on an area named Maine. I am wondering if this is maybe the place that you are interested in? Maine seems to be divided into two regions; Maine North and Maine South. I have found a little bit of information these from this website.

Firstly, Maine North is shown in the map below. This highlighted in blue and is situated between the towns of Limavady and Dungiven. More information on Maine North can be found here.
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/25-08-2017/fbf3c7a1-a349-4678-90da-9334.jpg

The map below highlights Maine South in similar fashion and is shown in blue. Again located between Limavady and Dungiven. More information this can be found here.
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/25-08-2017/c4b06f99-1919-4308-b47e-0fc0.jpg

I hope you find this somewhat helpful and if you require more assistance please do not hesitate to contact us again. Our details are listed below:

Visit Derry
44 Foyle Street, Derry, BT48 6AT
Web: www.visitderry.com
Tel: +44 (0) 28 7126 7284
Email: info@visitderry.com 

Kind Regards

Barry 

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 26 Aug 2017 6:34 AM
View Quick Profile
Thanks so much Colin, Barry and Conor. I am visiting Derry, Belfast and Portrush (from Australia) in a couple of weeks to see where my ancestors lived before emigrating to Scotland. I'm attaching part of the birth certificate I mentioned. Perhaps it is Maine or Malin. The writing is a bit hard to make out...Thanks again for your help https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/26-08-2017/10e8855e-875a-4460-a1b5-bea0.png
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 26 Aug 2017 8:51 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Wendy

Search PRONI's historical map viewer for both Maine North (Balteagh) and Maine South (Carrick).
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 28 Aug 2017 11:25 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi, Wendy.

Hopefully, your research is going well.  It's very exciting to hear that you'll be visiting in a couple of weeks time to explore where it all began for your ancestors.  I'm sure you're really looking forward to it.  Have you thought about what you are planning to get up to whilst you're visiting?

Derry~Londonderry, Belfast, and Portrush are great places to include in your itinerary and there's certainly no shortage of things to check out.  There are some trip ideas that are specific to these particular areas that you may wish to browse to gather some additional ideas.

How's your itinerary looking so far?

All the best,

Colin
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 10 Sep 2017 6:10 PM
View Quick Profile
Thanks ColinWe are here now in Portrush. We spent today walking and catching the bus along the coastal way to Dunluce, Giant's causeway and the rope bridge. What a beautiful part of the world this is! We are going to take a taxi in the morning to Mosside to see where my Alexander McKay was born. Then we are heading to Derry in the afternoon, Cheers Wendy
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 11 Sep 2017 1:42 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi, Wendy!

Great to hear back from you!  I'm really over the moon to hear that your trip is going wonderfully. Superb choice choosing to explore the wonderful Causeway Coastal Route - hopefully, you managed to snap up some great photographs!  If so, feel free to share some of them with us!

How did your visit to Mosside and Derry~Londonderry go?  Looking forward to hearing more about your experience.

All the very best,

Colin