Fletcher Family

Fletcher Family

Author
Posted Fri 1 Sep 2017 4:42 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I am researching my mother's family history with little or no luck so far. Can anybody help me with this? Mum's maiden name was FLETCHER, her father (William Stewart) was born in Dublin on 7 Sept 1880. His parents were Hugh Croal Fletcher (who was born in Scotland) and Harriett Hawers (maiden name was Cooper). I know the family lived in Charlemont Mall Dublin in 1911. They also lived in Curzon Street Dublin in 1901. William Stewart Fletcher had 4 siblings 1) Kathleen Harriett Fletcher (born 23 May 1875), 2) Hanna Fletcher (born 1878), 3) Jessie Fletcher (born 1883) & 4) Evelyn or Evelyn (born 1886). All siblings were born in Dublin. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 1 Sep 2017 7:26 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Noel,

Searching for family history can be very rewarding, and a little frustrating as you have found out trying to research your mothers side of the family. You have a lot of great information so far and have made some excellent head way.

We have several community posts on the subject of Ireland Family History, which have some excellent resource links and help from our fellow members. There is one in particular from Brian Mitchell, our favourite family history contributor, regarding Tracing your Irish Ancestors, which has a wonderful collection of resource sites to have a look at.

What in particular are you interested in finding information on? Is it your mother's Aunts you are trying to trace and the possible cousin's, nieces and nephews?

I'm sure our fellow community members will have a few suggestions and tips they have used to find the information you are looking for.

Keep us updated on your progress,

Best of luck

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 2 Sep 2017 6:43 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thanks for your reply Martin.
I suppose the only way I am going to discover any further information about my maternal grandfather's family is by locating any of his siblings ancestors.
My grandfather died when I was only 3 years old, so I never knew him, and by the time I started taking an interest in family history, his wife, my mum and her siblings had all died.
Now I have discovered this site (and others), hopefully I might just get lucky.
Noel

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 4 Sep 2017 10:56 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Noel

It would appear from an examination of civil records at http://www.irishgenealogy.ie that a marriage was registered in Dublin North in 1871 register , Volume 12 Page 485, of Hugh Croal Fletcher to Harriet Hawers Cooper. To acquire this marriage certificate, which should record the names of the fathers of both bride and groom, you should approach the General Register Office. Details of how to apply can be found at https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/i-want-to-get-a-copy-of-a-certificate-what-do-i-do
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 4 Sep 2017 1:21 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Brian.

Many thanks for the info. I will certainly apply for a copy of the marriage certificate once I can sought out how I can pay in Euros from the UK! I've never purchased anything before where the price is in Euros!

Noel
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 4 Sep 2017 1:53 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi, Noel.

Once again, great appreciation to Brian for some excellent research and a wonderful link for you to follow up on. There is a Contact Us option under the Feedback tab if you need to have anything clarified before ordering the copy of the certificate.

As far as paying for a copy on their site, the transaction will appear on your credit/debit card and you will be charged the Sterling equivalent. 

Let us know again how you get on.

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 4 Sep 2017 3:54 PM
View Quick Profile
Many thanks Martin. I will let you know how I get on.

Noel

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 7 Sep 2017 9:46 AM
View Quick Profile
Brian,
I have only just realised that amidst all of my notes etc I have my Grandfather's parents details! Hugh Croal Fletcher was born in Scotland and, according to census records, I have discovered his parents names also. As for my grandfather's mother, I found a newspaper article reporting her marriage to Hugh Croal Fletcher. The article also gave her father's details.
In view of the above, I am on a mission to try and locate the ancestors of my grandfather's (William Stewart Fletcher, born 7th Sept 1880) siblings, namely:
1)    Kathleen Harriett Fletcher, born 1875 in Dublin
2)    Hannah Fletcher born 1878 in Dublin
3)    Jessie Fletcher, born 1883 in Dublin
4)    Eveline (Evelyn) Fletcher, born 1886 in Dublin.
I think that maybe Kathleen Harriett Fletcher may have married in June 1902 (in Dublin) to possibly a Michael Fitzpatrick, or a Henry Walker, or a John Branan!
Any help on this would be fantastic.
Noel

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 7 Sep 2017 12:53 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K

Hi Noel

To follow through your Irish line you should search ‘Civil Records’ of births, marriages and deaths http://www.irishgenealogy.ie
On searching index, which returns name, event type, year and name of Superintendent Registrar’s District, a pdf of the full register page in which that birth, marriage or death certificate appears can be downloaded by selecting ‘image’. 12.5 million index records are now linked to 2.5 million images from historic registers of births, marriages and deaths. At present, images are available for Births 1864-1915, Marriages 1882-1940 and Deaths 1891-1965. Images of pre-1882 marriages and pre-1891 deaths will follow later.

To follow your Scottish line there is one standout source, namely the phenomenal ScotlandsPeople website at https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 7 Sep 2017 1:26 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Noel,

Truly wonderful to hear and see that you've discovered some additional details and information that could prove useful for your search.  

Today would be your grandfather's birthday - so hopefully the information Brian has suggested will prove useful for the occasion!  Thanks very much Brian!

Be sure to keep us posted on your findings.

All the very best,

Colin