Fitzpatrick kilt

Fitzpatrick kilt

Author
Posted Wed 11 Oct 2017 6:09 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello,
My Name is Veronica and my great-grandfather was Daniel Fitzpatrick, who was born in Cork 4th December 1887 and died in Argentina 9th May 1949. Apparently he arrived at Buenos Aires with the ship "City of Dresden" the 15th of February of 1889, when he was 2 years old, with his parents (Mathew Fitzpatrick and Bridget) and 4 brothers (Bridget, Ellen, Francis and Geraldine). The ship came from Queenstown, currently Cobh. And previously they lived in 48 Brady Lane, Cork (currently St Finbarrs Road).
I would like to confirm and have more info from my family, so is there anyone that can help me on this?
Additionally, we are planning a trip to Ireland next year. We would like to wear some distinctive costume, and we found the tartan from Fitzpatrick clan on internet. But at the same time, we read that in Ireland it is used the tartan from the conty and not the family. Can anybody explain me how it works?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Veronica.

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 12 Oct 2017 10:03 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hello, Veronica.

It's really lovely to have you here with us on the Community.

I am sure that it is very exciting to make such discoveries in relation to your family history, and it will be even more exciting to visit your roots during your trip to Ireland next year.  

We have some really excellent discussions here on the Community that may help guide you in the right direction in relation to diving into more family history research.  Check out the Tracing your Irish Ancestors:  A Three-step Guide - It is really excellent.

I am not too familiar myself with regards to the types of tartans throughout Ireland, although, I am sure that some of our community members may be able to share some information about that with you.  Although, there is another discussion on the Community, where one of our other members was curious about their clans tartan.

Hopefully, some of this information proves helpful, and as mentioned before, I am sure that some of our other members will have some great guidance to provide!

All the very best with your search.

Colin
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 16 Oct 2017 11:54 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Veronica

The 'Scotch Corner' displays Irish tartan for Fitzpatrick at http://www.scotchcorner.com/mill/irish-tartan-pages/fitzpatrick.html 

You may also wish to consider exploring RootsIreland database at http://www.rootsireland.ie for your family history. A quick search of the index to this database reveals 62 marriage records for a Mat/Mathew/Matthew Fitzpatrick, 3 of which are to a bride with first name Bridget and one of these in time period 1870 to 1890; namely marriage entry of a Mathew Fitzpatrick to Bridget in County Cork in 1882.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 16 Oct 2017 12:24 PM
View Quick Profile
Huge thanks to Brian for providing some great insight into both the tartan and the family history queries!

Hopefully, this will prove helpful to you, Veronica - I can imagine that you'll be wanting to find out as much as possible before your big trip.  Speaking of your trip, how are your plans coming along?

Speak soon,

Colin

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 16 Oct 2017 1:56 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Also search 'civil records' at http://www.irishgenealogy.ie 

For example this source records the following birth:
Born: 15 December 1886 at 48 Brandy Lane, Cork
Daniel of Matthew Fitzpatrick, carpenter and Bridget Colman

The location of Brandy Lane is recorded in 'old lanes and alleys of Cork' at http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/oldlanesandalleysofcork/    

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 16 Oct 2017 5:49 PM
View Quick Profile
Brian, Thanks a lot for all the findings!!!! It is incredible to have this information!!! I am currently making my family tree in www.myheritage.es, and this has been really very helpful.
Speak to you soon!

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 17 Oct 2017 10:16 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi, Veronica.

Thanks so much for checking back in with us to share your update - amazing!  I'm glad to see that your search is well underway.  

Have you decided when you are planning to visit the Emerald Isle next year?   I and many others members would be delighted to help you along the way with any plans you may have.

Speak soon,

Colin