First Trip to Ireland

First Trip to Ireland

Author
Posted Mon 30 Oct 2017 4:20 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Me and my partner have always wanted to visit Ireland. We'd love some sort of self catering cottage in a village with local pubs and nice countryside walks to go on. We're planning our trip for February time. Can anyone recommend anywhere in particular? Thanks for your help
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 30 Oct 2017 4:52 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hello, Charlotte.

It's a pleasure to have you here with us on the Community.

I'm sure it'll be really great to finally tick Ireland off your list and I am sure that myself and many of our community members will have some useful ideas to share with you to help you decide some aspects of your trip.

I have put together some nice little ideas and suggestions to browse in a personal scrapbook, which you can refer back to at any time, as well as add some of your own links to by clicking the little heart icon on the left side of the page.  The scrapbook has some trip ideas, information about some of Ireland's quirky little pubs, as well as some walking and trail suggestions.All of this combined should help narrow down where exactly in Ireland you would like to visit.  As mentioned before, I am also sure that many of our members will have their very own suggestions to share with you - there's going to be plenty of options to choose from!

I also wanted to ask if you have decided on particular travel dates in February, or how long you both are planning to visit for?

Looking forward to hearing more,

Colin
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 31 Oct 2017 11:30 AM
View Quick Profile
Check out www.letsgoselfcatering.com which has a great selection of self catering properties all over the country.  This site shows you properties who have availability for whatever dates you require thus saving on numerous emails back and forth!  Hope this helps!
Bernie Ryan
Botanic View B & B
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 1 Nov 2017 9:36 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi There Charlotte,

I hope you are well. 

You and your partner are choosing a lovely time to visit Ireland! The weather tends to be nice and crisp then and usually, we don't have too much rain in February.

It's hard to know where to begin, there is so, much to do in Ireland. I would start by suggesting you rent a car - Ireland is a small country and you can squeeze a lot in if you are not relying on public transport. It also gives you the freedom to come and go as you please. 

As the weather tends to be quite nice in February I would suggest maybe going for a hike and experiencing Ireland's beautiful countryside in person. 

Some of the popular hiking routes are:
  • Wicklow Mountains: Ireland’s first waymarked trail, due to its proximity to Dublin, has remained one of the most popular walking routes in Ireland. Despite being only 90 minutes from Dublin Airport, the walk contains 130 kilometres of beautifully unspoilt mountain trails and a huge variety of scenic marvels, including some truly remote upland experiences.
  • Dingle, Co. Kerry: This walking tour follows the original trail of the Dingle Way, a 179-kilometre-long National Waymarked Trail around the Dingle Peninsula. The official beginning and end of the circular route a is Tralee, the capital of Co. Kerry.
  • Connemara, Co. Galway & Co. Mayo: This trail, beginning in Oughterard, 30 minutes north of Galway City, and ending at Westport in Co. Mayo. This is a popular route for walkers who love the stunning and scenic wilderness that is Connemara.
There are also some beautiful driving routes across Ireland that will really give you an opportunity to see all that Ireland has to offer. Some of these routes are: 
  • Ring of Kerry Drive: This is one of popular road trips to do in Ireland, with excellent views at every corner, it’s no secret that Ring of Kerry exists on tourists’ must-do lists. With a 4.5 star rating on Tripadvisor, it’s safe to say that those who have taken the route loved it.
  • Giant's Causeway Coastal Drive: Located in Northern Ireland, the Giant's Causeway and Causeway iconic route has been regarded as one of the world’s ultimate road trips by Lonely Planet. Giant’s Causeway Coast is a United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization site (UNESCO) and more recently heavily associated with ‘Games of Thrones’ locations.
  • The Wild Atlantic Way: The Wild Atlantic Way remains Ireland’s most popular touring route. The route captures the entire beauty of Ireland which covers over 2500 km stretch along the west coast. The route stretches from Donegal all the way to West Cork. You will literarily be exploring the edge of Europe along the wild Atlantic, it has various UNESCO heritage sites, covers over 150 discovery points, and over 3500 attractions and activities.
Another slightly more unique thing to do while you are in Ireland is experiencing some of our traditional pubs. These little charming pubs contain live traditional music on a weekly base, they offer you the chance to experience Irelands culture in a fun and new environment. Or maybe visit some of Irelands famous Whiskey distilleries.  

Taking some time out to visit the capital of Ireland, Dublin, is a must there is so much to do in this little city. While in the city centre you can take part in various activities like touring the town on the tour buses, visit the National Museum and other historic buildings like the GPO (General Post Office) which is strongly associated with 1916 rising right in the heart of O’Connell Street.The famous Temple Bar is located in the city centre where you can enjoy the rich Irish culture from any of the bars where you can indulgence in a little Irish music, we know you will feel just at home.The city offers a wide range of highbrow, low-cost attractions and Dublin is home to Ireland’s national museums and galleries, most if not all of which offer free admission.

Really looking forward to hearing how your visit went. 

I hope this helps. 

Best Wishes,

The Team at Car Rental Ireland.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 1 Nov 2017 1:19 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Charlotte
West Clare comes to mind immediately
you will find many lovely homes for rent around Lahinch and Spanish Point
If you visit Dublin, do please visit us in Howth too
Happy planning
Regards
Majella
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 3 Nov 2017 11:55 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K
Hi Charlotte,
You might like to consider travelling north to explore the Causeway Coastal Route which stretches from Belfast to Derry along the beautiful northern coastline. It takes in stunning coastal scenery and passes many interesting attractions such as the Glens of Antrim, Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge, Bushmills Whiskey Distillery, long sandy beaches, the Giant's Causeway, Dunluce Castle and several Game of Thrones film locations. There are quite a few seaside towns and villages dotted along the route and you will find there is a great selection of self-catering cottages to choose from. It is also an area that has lots of good restaurants, quaint pubs and entertainment venues.
If you would like to look at this option please visit: www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com  This web site provides information about accommodation, attractions and entertainment.

Regards,
Anne