Thinking of coming to Ireland for a weekend at Christmas, what should I expect?

Thinking of coming to Ireland for a weekend at Christmas, what should...

Author
Posted Fri 17 Nov 2017 3:42 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
From mid-November, the island is awash with twinkling lights and festive spirit as Christmas markets begin to emerge in cities like Galway, Belfast and Dublin. You can indulge in mulled wine in the wood cabins in Galway after some fun on the seasonal ice skating rink, or explore the exotic foods on offer in the continental village in Belfast City Hall.

After you’ve warmed the body and soul at the markets, definitely enjoy a night on the town. Don your sparkly dress or your warmest jumper and divulge in the great nightlife these cities guarantee. We’d be very surprised if you didn’t hear the tune of Fairytale of New York at least once during your evening out! For an Irish twist, hunt down some traditional tunes at The Cobblestone Pub in Dublin, An Sailfin Finch in Cork or the Duke of York in Belfast!

Over the festive season most high street stores are open late on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays so retail therapy is at your fingertips. Dublin’s Grafton Street is illuminated by a spectacular light display from mid-November, while Belfast’s Victoria Square twinkles with fairy lights and good cheer.

Festive time in Ireland is family time, too, when all the people who’ve left this island for foreign shores return home for huge hugs and hellos. Even the airports get in on the magic of families reunited, with gatherings of people and plenty of smiles. So be prepared for when you land… there’ll be a buzz wherever you go. And it’s truly something special.

Any Community members out there want to share more information about the lead-up to Christmas in Ireland?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/17-11-2017/f9ea7031-4c53-4d7a-948a-9121.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 23 Nov 2017 11:40 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K

Here in the Causeway Coast and Glens Christmas lights are already in place and switch on ceremonies have already begun.  In the countdown to Christmas we are anticipating Christmas parades featuring Santa and his Clydesdale horses, carol singing from local primary school children, speciality Christmas markets with great-tasting artisan food and unique gifts, family entertainment in the streets and squares, late night shopping from independent and national retailers, a pantomime at the Riverside theatre and seasonal craft activities in different venues. For details check out our website http://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/Events-and-Festivals-A86  Come and join in the festive atmosphere in the streets and shops, in cafés, pubs and restaurants  - lots of chatter and craic as folk come backhome for Christmas. 

It’s good to be home this Christmas!

Mary

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 24 Dec 2020 11:45 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Another tradition is going out for a refreshing swim in the sea on Christmas Day! 

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 24 Aug 2022 10:52 AM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 10
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 31 Jul 2023 2:31 PM Visits: 752
Brrrrr - I'm not so sure about taking a dip in December!

I have been asked to come and judge a sheep show in Cork early this December. I think it might be associated with the Christmas Celebration and to join in the spirit of the festive season I would like to organise a small Christmas party with local entertainment for the breeders.

Any suggestions about hiring a local traditional musician to get our toes tappin' would be grand. The selection here is quite overwhelming.

Attachments
wedding band dressed as pirates.jpg (235 views, 70.00 KB)
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 24 Aug 2022 12:41 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Come on Eddie, it will be a nice way to end the celebrations! 😁

Regarding traditional music, I know that each region and area has groups called Comhalts that would know musicians that can offer this service. You can check the Comhalts' site and contact the one near where you are going.

Are you going to spend some time discovering the area too?
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 24 Aug 2022 1:35 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)Gaining Respect (175 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 10
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 31 Jul 2023 2:31 PM Visits: 752
Thanks Elodie
I hadn't heard of Comhalts...what a splendid recommendation - A brotherhood of musicians! Tricky site to navigate if you aren't familiar with the Country but I'll persevere.

Thanks for the heads up!