Help!

Help!

Author
Posted Sat 25 Nov 2017 9:23 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello! I want to plan a trip to Ireland, preferably a trip where I can drive around myself (in a hire car). I have done Dublin a few times, but would like to see the countryside side of Ireland! Please can you recommend places to visit, including any hotels/B&Bs etc. It would be in early January that I would like to go? Thanks!

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 26 Nov 2017 1:57 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hello Rebekah,

Thanks for taking the time to join us on the Community.

I hope that you'll benefit from some of the really great discussions going on throughout the Community, as well as from some of the ideas that will be shared here under your very own discussion.

As you've visited Ireland before and mostly spent time in Dublin, it will for sure be nice to have a little change of scenery and explore some of the other lovely parts of the island.  There are some really excellent trip ideas to consider - you may like to have a browse.  Do any particular areas catch your eye?  

As for accommodation, take a look at our accommodation section - it's a great starting point, and ideal for locating suitable accommodation options. 

Although, some of our members may have specific location and accommodation recommendations to share with you.

Are there perhaps any iconic attractions that you are eager to check out during your visit?

Be sure to keep us posted on your plans - we love seeing it all come together and January is just around the corner.

Speak soon,
Colin
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 26 Nov 2017 2:55 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Colin! Thank you for your reply! I don't really have any ideas of where I want to see - I have a vision in mind of just beautiful scenery and a couple of lovely little Bed and Breakfasts! I would ideally like to rent a car and head around Ireland for a week or so. Obviously, something like the Causeway would be great to see - I will have a look through the trip ideas now! Would you say that hiring a car would be the best thing to do?

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 26 Nov 2017 3:27 PM
View Quick Profile
It definitely sounds like you've pictured your perfect experience here in Ireland, Rebekah.  That's definitely a great start!

Exploring the stunning Causeway Coastal Route could be a really amazing idea.  There is lots to get up to along the route.  I've put together a scrapbook which contains some information in regards to the route and what you could expect.  It's a really popular choice amongst visitors to the island.

A week is a great amount of time to explore the Causeway Coastal Route, in fact - it would give you a few extra days to spend more time in certain areas, or explore a little further afield.  You'll see that our ready-made itinerary, which is included in the scrapbook, takes about 4 days to cover the route as a guideline.  

As for car rental, it really does come down to personal preference.  Although, if you want complete flexibility, it would be a good option.  The route itself does cover quite a bit, so it could be lovely to travel along and stop in certain areas and send a night or two.  

In the scrapbook, you'll also find a direct link to the vehicle rental section - it has lots of information and the option to search for vehicle rental companies that can assist with arranging a rental.  You may also hear from some of them here on the Community!

Let us know if anything else springs to mind.

Speak soon,

Colin
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 1 Dec 2017 12:56 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Rebekah,
It is great to hear that you will be visiting Ireland in January.
When your here why not take a railtour around the Emerald Isle with Railtours Ireland.
We run tours the length and breath of Ireland taking in some of the most popular tourist attractions like the Cliffs of Moher and The Giants Causeway too.
We have a selection of one day up to eleven day tours.
By traveling with us you will be taking the hassle free way of traveling in comfortable and modern trains and luxury coaches too.
A full list of our tours can be found at our website: https://railtoursireland.com/
I hope this will help with your planning.
Railtours Ireland - Car Free Care Free
Kind Regards
Mervyn

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 1 Dec 2017 3:17 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Rebekah,

I hope you are well. You've gotten some really great advice there. Ireland is beautiful in the winter time but can be a bit chilly, so make sure to wrap up warm!

We have a list of suggested road trips you can take around Ireland on our webpage here.

However, the top 5 trips I would recommend for their scenic value would be the following:

• The Ring of Kerry: This is one o the popular road trips to do in Ireland, with excellent views at every corner, it’s no secret that Ring of Kerry exists on tourists’ must do lists. With a 4.5 star rating on Tripadvisor, it’s safe to say that those who have taken the route loved it.
  • The Giants Causeway: Located in Northern Ireland, the Giant's Causeway and Causeway iconic route has been regarded as one of the world’s ultimate road trips by Lonely Planet. Giant’s Causeway Coast is a United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization site (UNESCO) and more recently heavily associated with ‘Games of Thrones’ locations.
  • The Wild Atlantic Way: The Wild Atlantic Way remains Ireland’s most popular touring route. The route captures the entire beauty of Ireland which covers over 2500 km stretch along the west coast. 
  • The Copper Coast: This route will bring you over beautiful scenic roads, through stunning beaches, and through mountain gaps. This is a good introduction to County Waterford’s landscapes and beaches in all their splendour. We recommend having the cameras or camera phones at the ready, this is quite a beautiful scenic route. 
  • Clifden and Sky Road: Clifden, the largest town in Connemara, is nestled between the Twelve Bens mountain range and the Atlantic Ocean, at the mouth of Clifden Bay. The area is known for its rich landscape and heritage. Clifden has an impact on all who visit. It is a charming little town, with something to suit everyone.
If you haven't already organised a rental vehicle for your stay I would like to offer you a discount on one of our rental cars, available from Dublin, Cork, Galway, Shannon, Mayo and Kerry.  

Hope you enjoy your trip here to Ireland, and I hope you get back to us and let us know how you got on in Ireland and what trips you took. 

Best Wishes, 

The Car Rental Ireland Team

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 2 Dec 2017 11:22 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)Community Expert (70.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 minutes ago Visits: 13.3K
Hi Rebekah,

Special thanks to Mervyn at Railtours Ireland and to Car Rental Ireland for their wonderful suggestions! 

As January is just around the corner, we are sure that some of these ideas will be useful to your planning. Have you started to complete your itinerary or are you open to some more suggestions?

Bed and breakfasts are a wonderful way to see the countryside, we often find that the knowledge of the owners on must-see places is invaluable.

If you decide on seeing the Causeway Coast, a little further west is Derry~Londonderry which is famous for its historical walls and beautiful Guildhall. The drive along the coast road is stunning, there will be plenty of places to tempt you to stop and take a photo or two. 

We are all looking forward to hearing what you have decided to see and do on your visit with us,

Best wishes,

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 2 Dec 2017 11:22 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K
Hi Rebekah,

It's great to hear you are thinking of travelling round Ireland for a week and would like to visit the Giant's Causeway. It is located in the Causeway Coast and Glens region and as Colin has already mentioned it is best reached by the Causeway Coastal Route heading north along the beautiful, rugged coastline from Belfast.  There are plenty of other attractions to visit in the area such as Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge, Mussenden Temple, Bushmills Whiskey Distillery and Dunluce Castle. 

If you are lucky enough to get a good day at the Giant's Causeway and fancy a really good walk after getting your bearings at the excellent visitor centre there, I can give you a few pointers.   After going down the hill to the foreshore and taking some time to scramble over the multitude of hexagonal basalt columns that disappear into the sea, maybe finding the special "Wishing Chair" and making your wish, then keep walking east along the edge of the sea until you reach the Shepherd's Steps.  There you can climb up onto the cliff path and continue walking east (away from the visitor centre) for as far as you wish, enabling you to take in some of the unique rock formations and amazing strata, all of which contributes to the World Heritage Site status awarded by UNESCO.  On a clear day there are spectacular views of Rathlin Island, Scotland and the Scottish Isles.  It really is a brilliant walk!  If you decide you would like to walk the cliff path one direction to Dunseverick Castle (about 5 miles) then there is a bus stop there where you can catch the 172/402 bus back to the Giant's Causeway Visitor Centre to pick up your car.  It is also advisable to wear sturdy walking shoes.  If you would like a guided tour for the cliff walk, there is a company called Away a Wee Walk that does one on a daily basis.  If you would like to find out more about this option please visit: www.awayaweewalk.com  If you would prefer not to walk down to the Giant's Causeway stones from the visitor centre, there is a shuttle bus service that ferries people up and down the path.

There are plenty of options for B&Bs in the area and if you would like to find out more about booking one of them or further information about the region, please visit our web site: www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com

If you find yourself in the town of Coleraine, please call into the Visitor Information Centre in the Town Hall and we can give you free maps and information.

Regards,
Anne