Castle Stay 3 Nights?

Castle Stay 3 Nights?

Author
Posted Thu 4 Jan 2018 2:37 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello,
I'm planning a trip for my family for Summer 2018.  We are two adults and 2 children.
We'd like to stay in a castle.  We don't have castles in New Jersey, US, where we live!  We are hoping for a very unique and memorable stay.  From the research I've done so far, I believe that a Tower House stye, that is rustic, and not too fancy would be great for us.
For our 10 day trip, I am contemplating 3 main bases for lodging: Donegal (staying with Family), Outside Dublin (accessible to Dublin city and also the Boyne Valley) and Outside Galway (access to The Burren and Galway, Connemara areas?).
Could you recommend a castle accommodate either outside Dublin or Galway, where we can stay less than a full week?
2-3 nights would be ideal.
Thank you,
Norma

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 4 Jan 2018 11:58 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hello Norma,

A 10 day stay with us in the Summer sounds like a wonderful way to spend a vacation!

There are plenty of Castles throughout the island of Ireland to visit with several offering accommodations as well. I have created a scrapbook of information on Castle accommodation for you to have a look at in the Galway and Dublin general areas. These would make wonderful bases for your time in the locality.

Within the scrapbook, I have included some information on the Brú na Bóinne area of Ireland's Ancient East,  Connemara and County Clare, part of the Wild Atlantic Way.

Will your family in County Donegal have a few interesting places to show you during your time with them?

I am sure other members will have some helpful suggestions too. 

Speak soon,

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 8 Jan 2018 11:58 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
http://www.claregalwaycastle.com

Happy New Year Norma...Claregalway castle is stunning and only 5 miles from Galway city.  I hope this helps.  Let me know if you'd like to take a boat trip to the Aran islands, best wishes and happy planning.  Bill O Brien 

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 8 Jan 2018 12:48 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 26
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 1 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 833
Hi Norma
Welcome to the community :)
You mentioned the Burren as a possible location - what about staying in Gregan's Castle

This may be particularly interesting for your children if they are interested in Lord of the Rings, as when this castle was the private residence of Dr Florence Martyn, a certain Professor JR Tolkien stayed there, when he was a visiting lecturer at the University of Galway.  It is a widely held belief that the stark landscape of the Burren inspired Tolkien to create Middle Earth!  You can read more here in this blog 
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/08-01-2018/32dbaece-b47e-4240-aae0-3068.jpg

On another wizarding theme, did you know that the sea cave in Harry Potter's Half Blood Prince is actually located at the Cliffs of Moher?  You can see this cave from a Cliffs of Moher sea cruise.  
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/08-01-2018/6af260e2-f3ba-4295-9c5d-4310.png

Sure we are just full of magic in Clare ;) Hope this helps, if you need anything further, just let me know!
Joan
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 8 Jan 2018 2:55 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Norma,

Welcome to the Community!  I'm delighted to hear you are planning your vacation to Ireland this summer and totally agree that to stay in a Castle is a wonderful idea. Have you considered a stay a little further inland, in the Midlands of Ireland?

Kinnitty Castle Hotel might be your ideal base and is great fun for families to stay in. We have Twin/Family rooms which have two double beds. We are a true authentic Irish Castle, with history going back for hundreds of years, check out our website and Instagram feed to get a real feel for the ambience and history of the Castle (@kinnittycastleireland).
We are only 15 minutes drive from Birr Castle & Gardens - I'm sure your children would love to visit the giant treehouse and telescope there - and only 20 minutes drive from the beautiful Lough Boora Parklands, County Offaly, with wide open spaces, fascinating sculptures and bike hire. There's plenty to keep you entertained for a midweek three day stay, and we can even provide you with picnics to send you on your way exploring every day. We are located in County Offaly, at the foot of the Slieve Bloom Mountains, and you can experience activities such as Horse Treking, Archery and Clay Pigeon Shooting (over 16s only) along with plenty of walking trails both on site and in the local area. 

Below are some links you may find interesting and useful.
www.kinnittycastlehotel.com 
www.birrcastle.com
www.loughboora.com
www.visitoffaly.ie 

Wishing you good luck in planning your itinerary.

Kindest regards,
Clair Donogher
Sales & Marketing Adminitrator
Kinnitty Castle Hotel,
Kinnitty, Birr, County Offaly R42 CY50