Dublin to Cork and surroundings, tips wanted

Dublin to Cork and surroundings, tips wanted

Author
Posted Tue 16 Jan 2018 9:49 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
We've booked in April a week because of a wedding near Rosscarbery and Clonakilty. Me and my partner arrive in Dublin 21 April and leave from Cork airport on the 27th. We would like to know a nice route off highway and tips for the trip Dublin to Cork on April 21st. What would you advice?  And for the days in the area Rosscarberry/ Cork. I am also curious for nice things to do. A hike, but also villages or SURPRISE me. Accommodation is already booked in Rosscarbery. 

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 17 Jan 2018 12:19 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 2:02 PM Visits: 76K
Dag Susan,
Welkom op Community Ireland! 

That's great to hear you'll get to discover Ireland in April while attending the wedding.

To start your journey from Dublin to Cork, we'd suggest you to follow this Ancient East Coast itinerary. How many days do you have before the wedding? Since this is a 5 days itinerary, feel free to pick the stops you'd like.

Once you are in County Cork, there are plenty of things to do. We can for instance recommend you the Drombeg Stone Circle, the Old head of Kinsale or the marine nature reserve of Lough Hyne. Here's another 2 days trip that includes some of the suggestions above.

I'm sure other community members will have great suggestions about County Cork as well.

Een heel prettige dag gewenst,
Antoine

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 17 Jan 2018 12:28 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
I'm very pleased already, love stone circles and the coastal route seems very nice. Thanx a lot!
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 17 Jan 2018 12:41 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Susan!
West Cork is just gorgeous, you will find so much to discover in the area, I would dedicate a few days to leisurely exploring there if you can. There's nothing nicer than a walk on Inchydoney or Owenahencha strand, very close to Rosscarbery. There are so many lovely restaurants and cafes in Clonakilty and the surrounds, especially Kinsale, and so many walks, hikes and treks in the area too - coastal, village, country and hillside. A kayaking trip on Lough Hyne is a fabulous experience too. You could literally walk and eat your way around West Cork for weeks and never be bored!! If you want to drive straight from Dublin to Cork you could take the M8 motorway and veer off at Cashel to see the famous Rock of Cashel,  or take the M9 and take in Kilkenny, and Midleton and Cobh. Enjoy! 
Áine
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 17 Jan 2018 8:45 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)Community Expert (8.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 2:02 PM Visits: 76K
Dag Susan!

Sounds like you are progressing in the planning of your trip.

I can definitely endorse what  Love Ireland said about the surroundings of Rosscarbery and Clonakilty. Since you seem to enjoy hiking, i'd also suggest you to take a look at this page.

Please keep us up to date as your plans develop.

Groet,
Antoine
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 18 Jan 2018 4:19 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Susan, 

Sounds like you have a lovely trip in store for yourself and your husband, and you pick a lovely time of year yo visit Ireland everything will be in bloom!

Cork is such a beautiful County it has almost everything you want in a holiday destination, however, you would need to plan yourself very well to make it easy to see and do in Cork all you can while there. The first thing you would need to see in Cork is the Blarney castle and it is only customary to schedule time to kiss the Blarney Stone, the stone has been known to mystically gift those that kiss the stone with the gift of eloquence popularly known as the "gift of the Gab".

Then, of course, The English Market is a roofed food market and has been trading since 1788. The Market is one of the oldest markets of its kind in the world.

And finally, I would suggest, if you are a fan of a Titanic movie you definitely need to visit this small village next to Cork City, Cobh. There is a lot to see and learn about the Titanic and its visit to Cobh. Cobh, known from 1849 until 1920 as Queenstown, is a tourist seaport town on the south coast of County Cork, Ireland. One of the major transatlantic Irish ports, the former Queenstown was the departure point for 2.5 million of the six million Irish people who emigrated to North America between 1848 and 1950.

If you haven't arranged a car for your trip, I would like to offer you a discount when renting your car from Car Rental Ireland.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Best Wishes,

The Team at Car Rental Ireland