Things to do in Ireland

Things to do in Ireland

Author
Posted Mon 5 Feb 2018 9:03 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Any suggestions.

I am considering taking my teenage children to Ireland, some time this year. I am looking for advice on sites to see and places to go.

I am interested in learning as much of the history and culture as possible but I would also want to do some activities to interest teenage children.

I will try and cover as much of Ireland as possible in a two or three week period, so I’m open to suggestions from any part of the country.

I don’t know what time of year I’ll be coming, so again I’m open to suggestions but I doubt I’ll be able to get there by St.Patricks Day.

We did a similar thing in Scotland last year and it was an amazing holiday.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 6 Feb 2018 10:43 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 26
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 1 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 833
Hi there Al,
You would be hard pressed to get a better destination than North Clare for teenagers - there really is so much to keep them busy!  All the better if it is after St Patrick's Day, as most activities will be open for the season then.

Lahinch is a great spot surfing, indoor rock climbing, archery - check out Ben's Lahinch Adventures for more information

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/06-02-2018/c3a98012-8cee-4055-a7a3-6eba.jpg

There are great places to explore for free in the Burren, let them off hiking for the day and wear them out ;) 

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/06-02-2018/bcbbc7f7-1a4e-4c77-825d-48ce.jpg

And of course, there is at least one full day's worth of activity on our boat trips, with choices to go to one of the Aran Islands, or take a Cliffs of Moher Cruise, or both in same day :)

Doolin would be an excellent base for you - there is free Irish music in all of the bars in the evening (no problem bringing younger people). Lots of accommodation options in the area too, whether it is self-catering, B&B, hotel or hostel. Check out our Doolin village site for more information.

I hope this helps give you some food for thought, we would love to have you visit and hope you enjoy your holiday in Ireland.

All the best
Joan
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 6 Feb 2018 10:50 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Al,
Its great to hear that you will be visiting Ireland.
When you are here why not take a tour with Railtours Ireland.
We run tours the length and breath of the Ireland visiting all the top tourist attractions like the Cliffs of Moher and the Giants Causeway.
We use spacious and comfortable trains as well as coaches for all our tours around the Emerald Isle.
We run one to eleven days tours which can be found here on our website: https://railtoursireland.com/travel-tours
Railtours Ireland Car Free Care Free.
Kind RegarDS
Mervyn

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 6 Feb 2018 11:29 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Al...welcome, we are in a stunning part of Ireland where you will have multiple choices of activities and lots of culture and heritage...in Co Clare and on the Aran Islands.  

We are in the Burren which is a stunning karst landscape and a Geo Park where you can enjoy lots of walking, surfing, hiking and lots of great places to eat and stay.  This part of Co Clare is very well connected to the following gateway towns of EnnisCo ClareLimerick and Galway. Doolin Pier is the closest access port to the iconic Aran Islands...its only a journey of 15 minutes with us on the Doolin Express.  All around Doolin there are so many things to do and see.  Many of our customers buy a Total Cliffs of Moher Experience with me.  This gives you access to both the top and bottom of the cliffs...by boat with us for a stunning cruise and live witty commentary AND entrance to the visitor centre at the top of the Cliffs.  If you feel up to it you can walk between Doolin and the Cliffs centre on top!  This will take up to 3 hours and is truly breathtaking.  Alternatively you can jump on the bus service that is a hop on hop off service connecting several access points to the cliff walk along the road,between the cliffs and the near by villages of Doolin and Liscannor. 

If all this along our wonderful costal route known as the Wild Atlantic Way appeals to you my boat company will be open for all the days during your stay in Ireland so if you need to book any of these days on our new state of the art passenger ferry the Doolin Express to the Aran Islands or along the total expanse of the cliffs just send me an email to:  

Bill O Brien, sales@doolinferry.com or phone me on 00353 87 235 9918

Happy Planning, All the Best. 

Bill

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 7 Feb 2018 3:40 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Al,

It seems like you received loads of great advice and ideas from other members.

It can be overwhelming when looking at ideas and activities.
Are you planning to travel by car?

If you are planning 2 to 3 weeks travel, you will be able to cover a good part of the island.
We have some great itineraries ideas that may help you. If you like ancient and historic places, you have to check-out the Great Ancient East for sure!

Regarding your children, do they have any passion or interest? Ireland offers loads of activities, watersports are popular, but there is more to check-out. On this article, we have some suggestion and tips from travel bloggers who traveled with their family. 

Hope this helps! 😊

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 8 Feb 2018 2:14 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K

Hi Al,

You were interested in suggestions for your trip to Ireland.  Perhaps I might share about the Causeway Coastal Route!

You may approach from Derry/Londonderry and go clockwise to Belfast, or anti-clockwise having first made your way from Dublin, for example, to Belfast. 

This really is one of the world’s great road journeys, and indeed, along with Belfast – see http://titanicbelfast.com/ - was voted Best inTravel 2018 by Lonely Planet.  

The Giant’s Causeway, Northern Ireland’s only UNESCO World Heritage Site, with its hexagonal–shaped, basalt stones and columns is fascinating, no matter what age you are. Not far away is the atmospheric, ruined Dunluce Castle on its rocky site, Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge for those who have the nerve to cross, and many locations used in the filming of the Game of Thrones Series.  

Besides walking a section of the Causeway Coastal Way on a sunny spring day, http://www.walkni.com/d/walks/186/Causeway%20Coast%20Waymarked%20Way%20Guide.pdf

your teenagers might enjoy a round of golf, or a fishing trip, various watersports or adventure sports. (Check out the Things to do section of our website: http://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/

This is a stunningly beautiful area, peopled with warm-hearted folk.  It could easily become part of your itinerary for a memorable trip to Ireland.

I wish you a great Irish adventure!

Mary.

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 8 Feb 2018 2:21 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 9:20 AM Visits: 5.9K
Hello

Sounds like a great trip you're planning and already some fantastic suggestions have been made. As someone that has a keen interest in history and culture, I would encourage you to consider a visit to the Historic Walled City of Derry-Londonderry. 

The Walled City of Derry-Londonderry is an excellent historical and cultural location with a series of visitor attractions steeped in history. The Historic 17th Century City Walls are likely to be of interest to you with all of the wonders which the Walled City has to offer. The city also boasts the accolade of the only entirely walled city in Ireland. Other excellent cultural and historic landmarks throughout the city include Guildhall, World Famous Murals, St Columb’s Cathedral as well as many fascinating museums and exhibitions. The city also provides great options for tours, leisure, shopping and dining which can help to provide further options for your family to explore. There are many excellent accommodation options, throughout the city, should you choose to spend the night here. Derry-Londonderry provides the perfect base for exploring Ireland as we are located on the gateway to Donegal/Wild Atlantic Way and the Causeway Coastal Route. More detailed information on what the city has to offer can be found in our official visitor guide here.

We would also invite you to contact us should you have any inquiries or questions at all. We are more than happy to help.

Kind Regards

Barry 

Web: www.visitderry.com
Tel: +44 (0) 28 7126 7284
Email: info@visitderry.com 

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 11 Jul 2018 4:38 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 34
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 2:22 PM Visits: 13.9K
Hello Al!

Did you manage to visit Ireland with children or are you still looking for some inspirations? I am excited to hear about what you've seen and done during your time on the Emerald Isle. It will be a pleasure for us to read all your personal experiences you've lived!

Have a great day.

Francesco