This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

McQuade/ McQaid

McQuade/ McQaid

Author
Inactive User
Inactive User (4.7K reputation)Inactive User (4.7K reputation)Inactive User (4.7K reputation)Inactive User (4.7K reputation)Inactive User (4.7K reputation)Inactive User (4.7K reputation)Inactive User (4.7K reputation)Inactive User (4.7K reputation)Inactive User (4.7K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 4 Sep 2019 7:42 AM Visits: 0
My name is Michael McQuade. What little I know is my name was changed when my great great great grandfather came to the united state for a new life. The States changed our last to from McQaid to McQuade. Wish to learn more about my family line. I hear I have a family crest and possible once had a family caslte. I don't trust ancestry.com. supposably my great great, great, grand dad was a lieutenant in the civil war. Anyone out there have any idea?

Posted Fri 8 Apr 2016 11:21 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (22.3K reputation)Supreme Being (22.3K reputation)Supreme Being (22.3K reputation)Supreme Being (22.3K reputation)Supreme Being (22.3K reputation)Supreme Being (22.3K reputation)Supreme Being (22.3K reputation)Supreme Being (22.3K reputation)Supreme Being (22.3K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 10 Nov 2016 12:32 PM Visits: 906

Hello Mike!
One of our community experts shared hints and tips that will help you get the most out of your family history. Please have a look at the following link: https://goo.gl/ilxLhh.
Let us know if you have additional questions. :)

Posted Fri 8 Apr 2016 11:46 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (8.2K reputation)Industry Member (8.2K reputation)Industry Member (8.2K reputation)Industry Member (8.2K reputation)Industry Member (8.2K reputation)Industry Member (8.2K reputation)Industry Member (8.2K reputation)Industry Member (8.2K reputation)Industry Member (8.2K reputation)
Ireland - Portland, Oregon
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 21 Aug 2019 10:24 AM Visits: 169
HI Michael! Your family name is mostly known in Limerick (Quade)  and Monaghan counties, but also concentrated more around Ulster (N. Ireland) mainly due to the Scots-Irish influence Mc/Mac Qaid, Quade, Quad. You can start researching records online with information that you DO know and build your own profile on facts.  Record repositories are PRONI (public records office Northern Ireland) or the National Library, among many others can be searched online and in person to further explore your heritage.  Also, the Civil War records would be available in the States and a very good resource is Damian Shiels website http://www.irishamericancivilwar.com and his research is ongoing. There is a vast resource of information within the civil war records in America for genealogical research in Ireland and making those elusive connections.  Also, here is an article I recently authored at Ireland Reaching Out project, you could also reach out to other McQaid's there and to the community here. http://www.irelandxo.com/ireland-xo/news/planning-tips-research-trips  Happy Hunting!! Ginger 

Posted Fri 8 Apr 2016 12:08 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (31.3K reputation)Industry Member (31.3K reputation)Industry Member (31.3K reputation)Industry Member (31.3K reputation)Industry Member (31.3K reputation)Industry Member (31.3K reputation)Industry Member (31.3K reputation)Industry Member (31.3K reputation)Industry Member (31.3K reputation)
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 11 Sep 2019 4:41 PM Visits: 993
You will find that in the context of Irish historical records there are many spelling variations of the same name. From the 17th century Gaelic surnames of Irish and Scottish origin were translated, and in many cases mistranslated, into English;others were changed to similar-sounding English names. 

Check out McQuade family crest at  https://www.houseofnames.com/mcquade-family-crest 

Also do surname search at  www.irishtimes.com/ancestor  to explore the location, frequency and history of this Irish surname.

Posted Fri 8 Apr 2016 6:12 PM
Question