This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

How Many Days?

How Many Days?

Author
I'm hooked
I'm hooked (593 reputation)I'm hooked (593 reputation)I'm hooked (593 reputation)I'm hooked (593 reputation)I'm hooked (593 reputation)I'm hooked (593 reputation)I'm hooked (593 reputation)I'm hooked (593 reputation)I'm hooked (593 reputation)
United States
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 9 Mar 2018 3:14 AM Visits: 6
I have just starting to plan a trip to Ireland. Hoping to go in 2019. I currently live in America and have traveled outside the country but never to Ireland. What are recommendations for how much time I should plan? I can take anywhere from 1 to 3 weeks off of work for the trip. I don’t plan on going anywhere else during this trip. Thanks in advance!
Posted Wed 7 Feb 2018 3:10 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (14.8K reputation)Industry Member (14.8K reputation)Industry Member (14.8K reputation)Industry Member (14.8K reputation)Industry Member (14.8K reputation)Industry Member (14.8K reputation)Industry Member (14.8K reputation)Industry Member (14.8K reputation)Industry Member (14.8K reputation)
#1 Doolin Pier, Co Clare, Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Mon 8 Apr 2019 12:32 PM Visits: 429
Hi Jennie, 
I would suggest  7 days as a minimum ....3 week if you have it. You could include all parts of Ireland north and south east and west and become totally immersed.  You'll find our little island is sectioned for marketing purposes roughly along the following groupings:  
Wild Atlantic Way (= iconic western seaboard costal route)
Ancient East (= other half basically of this island on the east side)
Northern Ireland (= integrated with also both of the above west and east) 

Hope that helps?  All the best
Bill 
Posted Wed 7 Feb 2018 8:15 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (19.1K reputation)Community Expert (19.1K reputation)Community Expert (19.1K reputation)Community Expert (19.1K reputation)Community Expert (19.1K reputation)Community Expert (19.1K reputation)Community Expert (19.1K reputation)Community Expert (19.1K reputation)Community Expert (19.1K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 1 hour ago Visits: 3.1K
Hi Jennie,

How exciting to be planning your first trip to Ireland!

Bill already gave you some great ideas on itineraries that I am sure are helping you have a better idea of the time you may need.

To help you further, could you tell me what is attracting you to the Island? The green landscape or maybe the historic sites?
More you tell us about what you would like while here will help us give you the best recommendation.

This video may help you decide the best time to come. 😉

Posted Thu 8 Feb 2018 6:39 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (16K reputation)Industry Member (16K reputation)Industry Member (16K reputation)Industry Member (16K reputation)Industry Member (16K reputation)Industry Member (16K reputation)Industry Member (16K reputation)Industry Member (16K reputation)Industry Member (16K reputation)
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Yesterday @ 10:20 AM Visits: 1.3K

Dear Jennie,

It's great that you have such flexibility with your leave allowance!  I am hoping you will choose to holiday in Ireland long enough to enable a visit to the Causeway Coast and Glens on the northerly coast of Northern Ireland.  The area is famed for its rugged coastline, long golden beaches, coves and cliffs.  There are plenty of towns and villages to stop off for a meal and drink and a great variety of attractions in a relatively small area.  Because it is a popular holiday destination there is an excellent range of accommodation to choose from.  

A good way to explore the area is by taking the well signposted Causeway Coastal Route (A2) heading north out of Belfast. The first attraction you will come upon is Carrickfergus Castle built by the Normans over 800 years ago. As you travel on you will come to the area known as the Glens of Antrim.  The Glens are beautiful green valleys surrounded by forested hills and edged by the Atlantic Ocean.  The scenery changes round each corner of the coastal road as you head for Ballycastle where the ferry crosses to Rathlin Island.  On a good day Scotland can be seen on the horizon. 

From there the route heads west going past attractions such as Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge, the Giant’s Causeway, Game Of Thrones film locations, Bushmills Whiskey Distillery, Dunluce Castle and the Mussenden Temple. There are loads of activities to choose from, anything from water sports to horse riding to spending time relaxing in a traditional pub.

You can find more info here - http://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/

Good luck with planning your trip!

Anne

Posted Sat 10 Feb 2018 2:34 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (12.3K reputation)Industry Member (12.3K reputation)Industry Member (12.3K reputation)Industry Member (12.3K reputation)Industry Member (12.3K reputation)Industry Member (12.3K reputation)Industry Member (12.3K reputation)Industry Member (12.3K reputation)Industry Member (12.3K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Yesterday @ 10:27 AM Visits: 664
Hi Jennie
Always good to plan in advance ;)  
If I can offer any advice, it is to decide what it is you want to see in Ireland - cities, coastal landscape, cultural heritage, all of the above?? And work from there.  Even though Ireland might look small on a map, the roads are tricky enough to navigate and remember you will be on the "Wrong" side of the road for you... If you have a week, pick maybe 3 locations, no more so that you can truly experience the visit, otherwise you will end up just driving to get it all covered in time.

We are based in Doolin, Co Clare on the west coast, near the Cliffs of Moher on the Wild Atlantic Way.  This region is definitely worth exploring, and this video on our village will give you a better flavour of what our visitors love about this area :)

I hope this helps Jennie - call and say hello if you do come to Clare!
All the best
Joan
Posted Thu 15 Feb 2018 9:20 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
I'm hooked
I'm hooked (593 reputation)I'm hooked (593 reputation)I'm hooked (593 reputation)I'm hooked (593 reputation)I'm hooked (593 reputation)I'm hooked (593 reputation)I'm hooked (593 reputation)I'm hooked (593 reputation)I'm hooked (593 reputation)
United States
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 9 Mar 2018 3:14 AM Visits: 6
Thank you all for the wonderful advice, it is much appreciated. It’s hard to know what all to see and do when you don’t know what you don’t know. I am definitely interested in historical sights. The Causeway Coastal Route sounds wonderful! I’ll reach out for more information when I get further into planning. Thanks again all.
Posted Fri 9 Mar 2018 3:12 AM
Question