Driving between Shannon and Cork

Driving between Shannon and Cork

Author
Posted Sun 15 Apr 2018 7:05 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi, we are planning our first trip to Ireland some time this summer. Cheapest flights arrive into Shannon and depart from Cork -so I'm wondering what's the best driving holiday route between the 2? I'd really like some coastal drives but realise we probably can't do the Wild Atlantic Way for the whole journey in the time we have (likely to be 5-6 days). Any suggestions on how to see the best of this part of the island?

Many thanks
Dawn
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 16 Apr 2018 9:26 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Dawn, 

While the "Wild Atlantic Way" is the entire stretch of the West coast, however, there are plenty of coastal sections to do. 
It all depends how much driving you would like to do. 

Cliffs of Moher is an hour drive north from Shannon Airport which you can do and then hit the coastline down towards Ring of Kerry via Killmer - Tarbet ferry then across to Cork?

Notable places to see- 
  • Dingle
  • Ring of Kerry
  • Skellig Islands
  • Blarney Castle
  • Kinsale
This article on road trips in Ireland might provide ideas for an itinerary. 

Disclaimer, I work for Europcar and if you need advice on hiring a car, I'd be happy to help

I hope that helps, 
Lianne
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 16 Apr 2018 10:56 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Dawn,

Located in County Clare, Shannon Airport puts you right in the middle of Irelands’ busiest Tourist County. There are so many things to do in Clare starting with a visit to Cliffs of Moher - Ireland’s most visited natural attraction that will capture your imagination and your heart; it remains visited by over one million guests every year.

If you truly want to enjoy the view this beautiful location has to offer to get there just before sunset in the summer months and watch as the sun goes down though this can mean getting there from 8pm. We would recommend hiring a car in Shannon Airport, to make your trip a little more convenient allowing you to travel to any destination in Ireland on a whim. Shannon is one of the most beautiful areas in Ireland. It is home to the Ring of Kerry, The Burren, Bunratty Castle, Shannon Estuary Drive and these iconic trips are just some of the attractions Shannon has to offer.

We offer a discount to our customers, 5% off your car rental. We would highly suggest renting a car to ensure you get to see everything at your own pace. 

Hope you enjoy your visit. 

Best Wishes,

Car Rental Ireland
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 16 Apr 2018 12:21 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Dawn, 

I see you've already received some lovely suggestions for your trip. :) Depending on how you would like to travel, you can plan your own personalised itinerary. If you're thinking of touring around by car, take a look at all of the available tourist board approved car rental companies here. You can also choose to explore Ireland by going on a tour, or by using public transportation

Shannon and Cork Airport are about a two hour drive apart, so you have a lot of time to explore this part of the island. It is possible to see only certain parts of the Wild Atlantic Way, and I have collected a few suggestions for your itinerary below. 
These trips take you along the Wild Atlantic Way, as well as some of Ireland's most iconic and spectacular sight seeing spots. You can mix and match the things you want to see and do until you have the perfect itinerary. 

Hope this helps! 

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 5 Jul 2018 6:21 PM
View Quick Profile
Hey Dawn,

What did you eventually decide? Are we going to have you on our wee island anytime soon? 
I'd love to hear about your experience! I'm considering a road trip around that area too, so any feedback or suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated. 

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Jorge
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 23 Aug 2019 10:08 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 10
India
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 5 Oct 2021 7:42 PM Visits: 131
There are several noteworthy stops between Shannon and Cork, so the best way to reach here is by hiring a car at Shannon airport.  Cork is 73 miles from Shannon and it takes almost one hour and thirty minutes here without making any stops in between. Even though you can drive this distance without stopping anywhere, but there are several beautiful spots on the way that you cannot help but take short breaks. If you want to stop on the way to explore, here are the spots you can visit:
•King Joh’s Castle
•Patrickswell
•Charleville
•Mallow
•Blarney
•Castle.