Car Hire

Car Hire

Author
Posted Tue 29 May 2018 1:52 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Was planning another trip to Ireland, but in order to do that I need the use of a car. To bring my own car over it's rather expensive. The least expensive option is to fly over and hire a car, the car hire rates are cheaper than the mainland but the security deposit required is way too expensive. On the mainland the deposit is around £200 to £300 for a bottom of the range car but on Ireland it is £1500. Does anyone know why this is or if there's any way around it. Surely this must have a negative effect on tourism to the country.
Tags
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 29 May 2018 3:21 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello John, 

I'd love to help you on your search for the right car rental! Which companies have you looked at so far? Every car rental company in Ireland will have the mandatory CDW (Collision Damage Waiver), and it reduces your personal financial responsibility for damage to your vehicle. The cost of CDW can greatly vary between different car rental companies, so make sure to get in touch with them to find out about the daily rate. You can find more information, and a complete overview of all tourist board approved rental companies on the Car Rental Council of Ireland page.

Another tip that might be useful, is to ask the car rental company of your choice about the Excess Insurance/Super Damage Waiver. This insurance is not via a third party, but the car rental company itself, and it will result in a lower or no hold on your credit card at all. And last but not least, there is another helpful thread called 'Rental Car Requirements' which I think might come in handy. 

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any questions! :)