This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Rental Car Requirments

Rental Car Requirments

Author
Inactive User
Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)Inactive User (4.3K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 4 Sep 2019 7:42 AM Visits: 0
I am traveling to Ireland with a friend in September.  We are planning to rent a car.   I can't seem to find a list of what is required to rent a car.  What insurance is required?  We are on a budget so I would like to shop now and get the information and not be surprised when we arrive.  

Also, what does fuel go for in Ireland?  

See ya in September!!!  I can't wait!!!  DREAM TRIP! 

Posted Fri 15 Apr 2016 6:49 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (22.3K reputation)Supreme Being (22.3K reputation)Supreme Being (22.3K reputation)Supreme Being (22.3K reputation)Supreme Being (22.3K reputation)Supreme Being (22.3K reputation)Supreme Being (22.3K reputation)Supreme Being (22.3K reputation)Supreme Being (22.3K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 10 Nov 2016 12:32 PM Visits: 906
Hi Karen!
Renting a car is a great way to explore Ireland. You will have lots of fun. :)
To rent a car in Ireland you will need a valid current driving licence and a credit card. There are several different types of insurance in a rental agreement so it's very important that you verify this information directly with the car rental company.
Cars in Ireland come in both, petrol and diesel. Make sure you know what type of fuel your car takes. :)
I would recommend you to have a look at carrentalcouncil.ie where you will find helpful information about renting a car in Ireland. The Car Rental Council of Ireland is the representative trade organisation for the car rental industry in this island.

You will find lots of suggested itineraries and road trips on our website. These range from the Causeway Coastal Route to the Wild Atlantic Way and so much more. And an overview of festivals and events in Ireland can be found on this link.

Let us know if you have additional questions. :)
Posted Fri 15 Apr 2016 8:48 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 5 Apr 2018 9:45 AM Visits: 27
Hi Karen,
Hope you are keeping well.
It is very easy to rent a vehicle here in Ireland - and a great way to see lots of what Ireland has to offer.  There are so many fabulous places to visit - Dublin, Belfast, Galway, Cork, Wexford etc etc....  To rent a car you will need your full clean driving licence, plus a credit card in the driver's name.
With regards to insurances there are a few options - some renters travelling from the US would have cover on their credit card - you would need to check this out with your credit card provider.  However, the simplest method may be to take out a package including insurance.  The following are the standard insurances that are normally included - Collision Damage Waiver ( CDW ) and Theft Protection ( TP ) - but this would be subject to a damage excess.  There is another insurance called Super Cover ( SCDW ) which reduces the damage excess to Zero - which gives great peace of mind.
With regards to fuel - vehicle's come in either petrol or diesel. - and fuel prices will vary slightly in different parts of the country.  If you log onto www.pumps.ie this will give you an idea of fuel prices.  With regards to the rented vehicle, they are normally provided with a full tank of fuel, and if returned full no additional fuel charge will be applied.  It is probably best to refuel your vehicle before returning to the car rental company. 
I work for Hertz Rent a Car here in Ireland - so if you wanted me to provide you with a quote for your trip please contact me on - nfurlong@hertz.ie - and I will assist however I can.  If you have any further questions let me know.
Many Thanks
Noeleen

Posted Mon 18 Apr 2016 9:24 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (8.2K reputation)Industry Member (8.2K reputation)Industry Member (8.2K reputation)Industry Member (8.2K reputation)Industry Member (8.2K reputation)Industry Member (8.2K reputation)Industry Member (8.2K reputation)Industry Member (8.2K reputation)Industry Member (8.2K reputation)
Ireland - Portland, Oregon
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 21 Aug 2019 10:24 AM Visits: 169
To add to Noeleen's offers, please be advised that as a US Tour operator, NO credit card company covers ANY car rentals in Ireland for insurance. You will need to take a CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) and depending on which car you should be advised that were there an accident, no matter whose fault, you would also be liable on your CDW.  For an average mid sized car this can run upwards of over $3000.00 and would be taken as deposit at the time you rent the car from your credit card that is in your name. There is no way around this so don't get caught when you arrive and not have funds available on your card to cover just a CDW or the Super CDW at the extra day rate for that car.  Also, if you take the Super CDW, this will cost in upwards of over 30.00  Euro per day to have NO out of pocket expenses on a car should something happen.  Renting a car in Ireland is expensive. Petrol runs at current time around 4-5.00 Euro per gallon or about 1.19 Euro per litre (4 litres in a gallon roughly).  I would advise also that you get a diesel as they are the most economical to drive and diesel is cheaper.   A manual (stick shift) will be your most economical as well as automatic transmissions run almost double for the same car in rental price.  

Going back to insurance, also travel insurance companies in the USA  WILL NOT COVER ANY car rental in Ireland.

When shopping for cars by price, AutoEurope will beat any price given as well as allow you to prepay most of the car rental. I think  you can go through Hertz to do the same, or you can go through a tour operator or agent if you are planning your trip/tour with someone. 

I hope this helps! There are great drives around and I would encourage you not to rely on google maps for distance or accuracy all of the time, especially in rural areas. The best way is to buy an Ordnance Survey Map before you arrive or at a bookstore upon arrival for accurate road maps.   An Ireland expert can guide you or there are several companies like Good Food Ireland that offer itineraries for good food routes and experiences or someone like myself that travels here all the time. (any specialized Irish travel agent locally where you live would also be great for going over driving times and places to visit). 

Also, since you are on a budget, remember that there are tolls on most of the dual carriageways there ranging from 1.90 Euro to 2.90 Euro. Average spend going between Dublin / Galway is 10.00 Euro RT. 

Tolls in Dublin on the M50 (Ring Road around Dublin) is paid with your car rental and will be charged typically after you leave Ireland to the credit card you provide. 

All the best and Happy Travels! 
Ginger
Posted Mon 18 Apr 2016 10:07 AM
Question