This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

I'm thinking of renting a car in Ireland - what do I need to know?

I'm thinking of renting a car in Ireland - what do I need to know?

Author
Community Expert
Community Expert (500 reputation)Community Expert (500 reputation)Community Expert (500 reputation)Community Expert (500 reputation)Community Expert (500 reputation)Community Expert (500 reputation)Community Expert (500 reputation)Community Expert (500 reputation)Community Expert (500 reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Visitor Last Active: Fri 3 Aug 2018 4:37 PM Visits: 27
If you want to get off the beaten track and discover an Ireland you won’t find in the guidebooks, it’s hard to beat renting a vehicle and setting off on your own adventure. Whether it’s a car, a campervan or a motorcycle, the rental process is pretty straightforward but it’s always a good idea to do your homework before you come here so you understand just what is covered by your rental agreement. You can check out our guide to vehicle rental in Ireland for helpful tips and advice but here are the answers to some quick questions you may have: 

What do I need to rent a vehicle in Ireland?
You will need a valid driver’s licence and a credit card if you want to rent a vehicle on the island of Ireland. 

How does insurance work with vehicle rentals? 
Insurance is generally included in the cost of your vehicle rental and your rental company may offer additional protection that can reduce the amount you pay out of pocket in case of an accident, injury or theft. Always check your rental agreement so you understand the terms of your cover and if you have any questions, be sure to ask your rental company. Also, if you’re planning on travelling between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland, you should let your rental company know. The Car Rental Council of Ireland and the British Vehicle and Leasing Association websites are great sources of information on what you need to think about. 

Do I need to pay a deposit? 
Depending on the company, you may need to pay a deposit on your rental vehicle. In most cases, provided you return your vehicle in the same condition, your deposit will be returned but just to be sure, have a thorough look at your vehicle before you leave the rental company. If you notice any signs of damage, make sure both you and the rental company are made aware so you can avoid liability. 

Are there age restrictions on vehicle rental?  
Most rental companies will not rent to drivers under 25 but there is no upper age limit. However, if you are over 75, you will be asked to meet additional requirements – your rental company can give you full details. Age restrictions for motorcycle rental on the island of Ireland vary, but are generally around 23-25 years.  

Can I get a vehicle with an automatic transmission in Ireland? 
Most vehicles in Ireland have a manual transmission but automatics are available on request. If you want to rent an automatic, you should reserve it ahead of your visit, as they tend to get booked up quickly.  

Have any other questions about vehicle rental or have any tips for those looking to take a road trip around the island? Ask and share below!

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/10-07-2018/9395b0c3-cb4f-4752-9275-011d.jpg
Posted Tue 10 Jul 2018 10:26 AM
Question