Accessible Ireland, wheelchairs welcome!

Accessible Ireland, wheelchairs welcome!

Author
Posted Mon 13 Aug 2018 4:58 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
My husband travels in a wheelchair and we were thrilled to find how accessible Ireland is for the disabled. My husband is paralyzed on his left side but we rented an adapted car through Enterprise at Shannon Airport and drove around the west of Ireland for 12 days. Everywhere we went the hotels, theaters, restaurants, shops, taxis and many ancient historic sites could accommodate a wheelchair.  Our highlights were especially accommodating: Siamsa Tire, The National Folk Theater, had reserved seating for wheelchairs and a companion.  Trad on the Prom in Galway actually taped off an area on the ground level to reserve a spot for my husband.  At Bunratty Folk Park we had ground level seating for Irish Night and my husband even got a summons for speeding in his wheelchair. As for the places that my husband couldn't get to, there was always a lovely view, a friendly face or a cup of tea to be had. Best vacation ever whether you're on four wheels or two.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/13-08-2018/934448f6-bac3-4186-a0ed-d00f.jpg 

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 13 Aug 2018 5:20 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Krysia, 

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful story here. :) It's so good to read that you felt so welcome, and that many of the attractions are wheelchair accessible. What was your favourite part of the trip? 

Warm regards, 

Melin