This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Search for Barrons and Byrnes in Carlow

Search for Barrons and Byrnes in Carlow

Author
Inactive User
Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 4 Sep 2019 7:42 AM Visits: 0
Hello there.
I'm emailing from Stoke-on-Trent, England. I'm planning to visit Carlow next month (also Mayo where other ancestors came from).
 Carlow is the birthplace of my great grandfather, Patrick Barron, and my great great grandparents, Catherine and Terrance Byrne. Patrick married their daughter, Margaret Byrne, in Stoke-on-Trent in 1876. It was his second marriage. He married Eliza Brien in 1873, again in Stoke-on-Trent. She died the following year, probably in childbirth.
I have documents etc relating to their lives/deaths in Stoke-on-Trent, but I'm struggling to find anything at the Irish end, hence my visit.
I understand there isn't a genealogical centre in Carlow, so my query is who do I contact to make an appointment before I arrive in Carlow? My purpose is to find out where they lived and any other information about their lives.
Patrick's father was Thomas Barron. I have found one Thomas Barron at 12 Stonecutter's lane in Dunleckny in Griffiths Valuation. There's also a baptism of Thomas Barron in Sept, 1805, father Michael, mother Nancy, with Borris as the address. But I have no way of knowing if either of these is my Thomas Barron.
As for Catherine and Terrance Byrne, I know they had four or five children including Margaret. I do not know if they married in Carlow or Stoke-on-Trent. Terrance was described as a labourer on Patrick's second marriage certificate. Patrick, an ironstone miner, was killed in a pit accident in 1892.  I have been searching for information for years now, hence this appeal. I'd welcome any information at all.

Posted Tue 19 Apr 2016 3:06 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (15.8K reputation)Supreme Being (15.8K reputation)Supreme Being (15.8K reputation)Supreme Being (15.8K reputation)Supreme Being (15.8K reputation)Supreme Being (15.8K reputation)Supreme Being (15.8K reputation)Supreme Being (15.8K reputation)Supreme Being (15.8K reputation)
Great Britain
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 17 Jan 2019 2:27 PM Visits: 724
Hello Virginia, welcome to our Ireland Community! Have you tried getting in touch with the St. Mullins Heritage Centre? Another great source of information is the National Archives of Ireland, and the Tullow Historical Society. If you contact them they would love to see what they can do to help. :) More useful tips for researching your Irish roots can be found on the Helpful Research Tips thread. 

If there is anything else you would like to know about your upcoming trip, please feel free to give me a shout! 
Posted Tue 19 Apr 2016 5:31 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 4 Sep 2019 7:42 AM Visits: 0
Hello Melin
So, so sorry, I've only just seen your message! I've been so busy on other sites re the Barrons/Byrnes  from Carlow and the Brogans/McHughs (from Mayo).
It's very remiss of me not to check before now, but thank you so much for replying. You are so kind.
I'm no further forward with the Byrnes at this end, though I've got one or two leads on Thomas Barron. It's so frustrating, as you will only be too well aware. For example, my great great grandmother Catherine Byrne's former name before her marriage to Terrance was Byrne! I've discovered that from my great grandmother's birth certificate.
I've leaving for Ireland tomorrow, going initially to Mayo and then on to Carlow. I have an appointment with Bernie Walsh at the Carlow Family Heritage Centre. I wasn't aware of the St Mullins centre or the historical society. I'll try to fit them in as well.
I may well be back in touch with you!
Take care.
Kind regards,
Virginia
Posted Sat 14 May 2016 12:29 PM
Question