Rental Car and Ireland road trip

Rental Car and Ireland road trip

Author
Posted Thu 4 Oct 2018 2:10 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi everyone!! My name is Aleksandra and I would like to make a road trip in Ireland, in March, and I have a question about Ireland and Northern Ireland. Can we rent a car from Dublin airport and go with it for one day in Belfast (stay for the night there) and then the next morning after the Giant's Causeway go to the Letterkenny etc? We have in mind to organize this trip for 7 days and rent a car for these days. What is needed to have with us to get in the Northern Ireland with a rental car? The borders are making problems to us with a rental car? Are there any extra payment about this?
I am looking forward to hearing from you!!
Thank you in advance!
Have a nice day,
Aleksandra

Tags
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 4 Oct 2018 7:37 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 34
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 4:14 PM Visits: 13.9K
Hi, Aleksandra!

It's wonderful to see you're planning a 7-day road trip around Ireland! As you want to rent a car at the Dublin airport and travel around the island of Ireland, please have a look at the following threads:
It's really easy to pass between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland and reach all the destinations on your wish list. Just make sure to mention this to the rental company as there may changes to insurance coverage and other policies.

Regarding your itinerary, you can take a look at our Trip Hub and go through our favourite road trips: they are plenty of info and details on how long to stay and what to see in a particular area. Here are two itineraries you may consider for your trip: Causeway Coastal Route and Northern Headlands.

Have you already booked the accommodation for your stay? Please let me know if you need any further information.

Francesco

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 9 Oct 2018 3:36 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K
Hello Aleksandra,

You mention that you would like to spend a day travelling from Belfast to the Giant's Causeway and then on to Letterkenny.  May I suggest that the nicest way to drive from Belfast to the Giant's Causeway and on to Derry is along the Causeway Coastal Route.  That way you will get to see the beautiful coastline, taking in the Glens of Antrim and quite a few local attractions as you journey.  You will pass castles, beaches, quaint coastal towns, the Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge, Game of Thrones film locations, Bushmills Whiskey Distillery and much more.  For more information about the Causeway Coast and Glens please visit our web site: www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com 

Once you reach the town of Coleraine you can cross the River Bann and continue your journey along the Causeway Coastal Route towards Derry.  Letterkenny is about a 40 minutes beyond Derry.

I hope you have a wonderful road trip!

Anne

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 11 Oct 2018 9:41 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thank you very much Francesco and Anne for your reply and help!!

I plan this road trip with 7-8 days duration and my problem in this is that I cannot estimate the time we will need to see the local attractions (the most of them). For example Anne, by taking the Causeway Coastal Route, one day is a good estimation for seeing a few local attractions as you said?
Can I have some help about this trip planning, please? Can I put my road trip here as I have it in my mind in this period? I am trying to complete it because I will have to book our airbnb places after that and I am afraid about this. If I have a wrong time estimation I will have a problem with the sleeping places - houses...

Thank you very much for your help once again!! 

Have a nice day!!
Aleksandra
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 11 Oct 2018 3:29 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello Aleksandra!

It would be a fantastic idea for you to post your road trip here, along with your possible time frames and even the general areas you're interested in staying nights at.

Time spent at different sights is just so personal - where one visitor might be ready to go in an hour, another might be so enthralled, they want to spend the entire day! 

Once you've shared your route, it would be super helpful for our members who have explored these spots to chime in with their thoughts and suggestions. From their experiences, you can pull together some accurate timing ideas. 

Have a great day!

Sionaínn

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 11 Oct 2018 9:52 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello everyone!!

Thank you very much Sionainn for you reply!! You have right about the time estimation..I am in a difficult position and I have to think a lot about this..
I hereby attached a word (.doc) file where I have a brief plan of our trip. In 2nd day I have an alternative plan as Anne said before in this conversation.
I know I have to think and organize a lot about this trip that's why I would like to have your help.
I am waiting for your ideas and extra information for helping me make this trip so perfect as I imagine it!!
Please, feel free to suggest whatever you have seen and you think that I have to do or see in this trip!!

Thank you very much in advance!!
Aleksandra :) 
Attachments
Ireland_Trip_7days_Brief.docx (724 views, 28.00 KB)
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 12 Oct 2018 11:24 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Aleksandra,

We have had a look at your itinerary and we think that you have realised how many wonderful things there are to see and do on the island of Ireland!

On your drive up from Dublin, a visit to Belfast Castle before seeing the sights of Belfast City would be a super idea.

Day two, Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge, the Giant's Causeway, driving on towards Dunluce Castle and Mussenden Temple would give some wonderful views of the Causeway Coastline before heading into Derry~Londonderry for a walk around the walls before finishing in Letterkenny for the evening. The Gobbins is a super place to visit but we usually say allow at least 3 hours for the time there. If you intend on staying in the area for a few days, this would be perfect along with the other ideas you have.

Day three, Glenveagh National Park, Slieve League, Donegal Town would be high on the list before driving on to Sligo and passing Ben Bulben, visiting Sligo Abbey ending the day at Castlebar.

Day four looks wonderful, Kylemore Abbey, Connemara National Park, Cong if you like the film Quiet Man, afternoon tea at Ashford Castle would be delightful too before the evening in Galway city with all of its many places to visit.

Day five, Dunguaire Castle and the Cliffs of Moher are definitely places to spend your time, maybe the Medieval Banquet at Bunratty Castle if you fancy a wonderful evening experience.

Day six, the whole of the Killarney National Park is a great place to visit, Ross Castle, Muckross House, Torc waterfall perfect choices before making your way to Cork for the night.

Day seven, a lovely coastal drive up to Waterford followed by a drive through the Wicklow Mountains National Park before ending up back in Dublin is perfect.

If you start with these as a basis for your days and just see what fits in as you travel, your experience with us will be full of adventure leaving you with a sense of the island of Ireland and all there is to see and do during a visit.

We hope this helps and you have a wonderful time with us. Please feel free to come back to us if you need some more help with your plans.

Speak soon,

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 12 Oct 2018 11:46 AM
View Quick Profile
Hello Martin!!

Thank you very much for your reply and for your time spending in my .doc file. I really appreciate this, your replies and your help!!
It was very helpful that you gave me a time estimation for The Gobbins and of course I will see the extra places you said to fit them in my travel!!

I feel relieved and really excited about your confirmation in my plan!!

Thank you very very much!!
Have a nice day and a even better weekend!!
Aleksandra :)
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 2 Apr 2019 11:00 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Aleksandra, 

I'd love to hear more about your trip in Ireland last month! Did you get to see everything you set out to see along the Causeway Coast, including The Gobbins? :) 

If you'd like to share more about your adventures here, please feel free to share them on the Tell Your Story section as well. I'm sure our other members would love to read all about it too! 

Warm regards,

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 25 Jul 2019 10:51 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)I'm into this (301 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 10
India
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 5 Oct 2021 7:42 PM Visits: 131
It's superb to see you're arranging a 7-day road trip around Ireland! As you want to rent a car at Dublin airport and travel around the island of Ireland, then I would like to share my travel experience. I have recently visited Ireland and as I was there for a very limited period oftime. I did not go for the tour package, but I preferred driving myself allthrough the Atlantic Way to reach the Cliffs of Moher. It really has got breathtaking sights, especially when the Sun is setting. I also took a CityKayaking that runs 2-hour at Dublin. Luckily it was a sunny day and I enjoyed it to the fullest. For self-driving, I booked my car from Dooley car rentals. Before payment, all terms and conditions were explained to me. Even afterhanding me the car, they had made it sure that I get acquainted with left-side driving.