Personal driver.

Personal driver.

Author
Posted Fri 22 Feb 2019 2:27 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello. My name is Lisa. My family and I are planning a trip to Ireland, July of 2020. We have decided to rent cars, so we can see what we want and move at our own pace. But to be honest, I am nervous about driving. And quite frankly, would rather pay attention to the scenery. As apposed to making sure I'm on the right side of the road. Can anyone suggest a reputable, reasonable and honest local to do the driving for me for 3 days? Do they offer such a service? Any help is much appreciated. 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 22 Feb 2019 4:24 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Lisa, I would suggest you do what we did.....ask around for friends /family in Ireland. We found drivers twice, just by asking co-workers and friends. You'd be surprised at how many people have relatives in Ireland.
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 22 Feb 2019 6:48 AM
View Quick Profile
Thank you. If you don't mind me asking, what is the going rate for this type of personal driver? I want to be fair but also not taken advantage of either. lol. 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 22 Feb 2019 12:18 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Lisa, 

It is so exciting that you are planning on visiting us in the summer of 2020 with your family! I would love to help you find the best way to travel by road. :)

Hiring a private driver is a great idea, because you get to sit back, relax and enjoy the view while your knowledgeable driver takes you to all the things you would like to see and do. What did you have in mind for your trip so far? Take a look at these suggested itineraries for more inspiration and ideas. 

On the following page you can find an overview of all tourist board approved private chauffeurs and drivers. If you get in touch with them directly they will gladly tell you more about the prices and options.

Have you thought about going on a tour as well? There are many options and destinations, from day trips to small group tours and guided tours for a longer period of time. 

I hope this was helpful, and that you'll receive loads more information and tips from our other members. Just give me a shout if you have any questions! 

Warm regards,

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 22 Feb 2019 2:31 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank you Melin. I have looked into the tours. But several members of my family want to embrace the experience and drive themselves. I personally am not one. haha. I want to fully enjoy the scenery. What I was looking for, is a local who obviously knows how to get to the places we're interested in. That could drive my vehicle and basically be a lead car. So the ones who do want to drive, can safely follow our lead. Our plan is to visit each side of the Emerald Isle, with nothing concrete yet. But quite honestly, I would much rather hire an honest local who could use the money. Over a company. It's more personal that way and most of them have planned itinerary. We want to be able to go where we want. I'm a huge picture taker and would want to stop frequently. 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 22 Feb 2019 3:11 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Lisa,

I completely understand, and it is wonderful to be able to make an unexpected stop whenever you feel like it. :) 

You can also reach out to one of the official tour guides on the island, as they have loads of knowledge and would love to to show you around the island. These certified professional guides are experts in the culture and history of the Emerald Isle, fully insured and dedicated to provide you with an unforgettable trip. 

If you ever need some tips on where to go, please don't hesitate to reach out. I'm always happy to help! :)

Warm regards,

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 22 Feb 2019 8:11 PM
View Quick Profile
Lisa,

In 2012 we paid the driver, a wonderful married woman looking for extra money, $1500. USD. We paid for her room in whatever B & B's we stayed in, but she paid for her own food. She loved having a "working vacation" away from her family for 10 days, and got us a lot of discounts in the price of B&B's by negotiating! She was with us 24/7.
We offered the $1500., not knowing what prices would be.
I did read later that some rental companies will find a driver for you, at a price of $250. per day, but they only work for 4 hrs. per day!

In 2017 we hired a man, who worked in the film industry. We found him through a co-worker who had friends in Ireland. One of those friends asked around, and that's how we found him. We paid him €1000. He stayed with us 24/7, & again, we paid for his room in hotels (not B&B's) and he paid for his food.
We're planning a trip this year also, and like you, will be looking at options.

BTW, don't forget to check out Irish- American newspapers, like Irish Echo, Irish Voice, or any Boston paper, for ads for drivers willing to drive. You can also check with your local travel agent!
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 22 Feb 2019 11:36 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank you so much for the feedback and tips.  It's nice to know there are options. 
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 24 Feb 2019 9:04 PM
View Quick Profile
Heard about Rabbies on other forums.....
https://www.rabbies.com/en/ireland-tours?utm_source=irishcentral&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=february_2019
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 27 Feb 2019 12:48 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Lisa

I think it's always better to have an experienced professional driving you and showing you the hidden gems and off the beaten track spots around Ireland. I don't know anyone to personally recommend but I have always heard great things about this small family business and they have super reviews on trip advisor:  https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attraction_Review-g186605-d3556764-Reviews-Ganter_Chauffeur_Drive-Dublin_County_Dublin.html

I hope this helps! 

Áine