Can someone read these county names please?

Can someone read these county names please?

Author
Posted Tue 9 Jul 2019 8:49 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Its right under the name Ann Cain on the upper right and right after the word County. I'm needing to know what county this is. Also, it shows James Miller as being born in a County I can't make out either. 

Thank you so much!!https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/09-07-2019/b3d47739-aec8-4db5-ba5a-8917.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 10 Jul 2019 9:04 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Caren,

Thanks for sharing the copy of the page with some of the information you have found out.

It looks to me like Charlemont, County Armagh for James Miller and also the same for Ann just with an abbreviation for the county name A/.

Hopefully, Brian will have some ideas too!

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 10 Jul 2019 3:44 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thank you for responding!! 
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 10 Jul 2019 6:36 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Caren

I agree with Martin that James Miller born 'near Charlemont in the County of Ardmah' refers to the town of Charlemont in the parish of Loughgall in County Armagh. A description of Charlemont can be read in the Topographical Dictionary of Ireland of 1837 at https://www.libraryireland.com/topog/C/Charlemont-Armagh-Armagh.php .

I suspect that Ann Cain 'born in the County Afsaid' [i.e. abbreviation for aforesaid] means that Ann was also born in County Armagh.
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 10 Jul 2019 6:39 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank you so much!! 
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 11 Jul 2019 8:43 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Caren,

Many thanks to Brian for his extra information and confirming what I thought regarding the county name!

Hopefully, this will help you with your further searches as parish records are where you will find any more details.

Please keep us informed of any progress, we love to hear about family searches and how far back in time these lead.

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 11 Jul 2019 3:22 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank you. I'm hoping researching here, will lead me to the generation we're missing to connect our family lines. If that makes sense. We're pretty sure we have the family there in Ireland through DNA connections, and we have the family in Kentucky from the 1800's until now, just needing that connection between 1795-1825. Father's name was James Cain and son's name was John Cain. So many James and John Cain's. We know not everyone went by their birth names, so it's been some work. We are NOT giving up. haha. 

I ordered some books about the Quakers from Ireland. Can't wait to get them!!

Thank you!! I'll be back with more questions I'm sure.

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 11 Jul 2019 6:10 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Caren

The first Quaker Meeting in Ireland was held in Lurgan, County Armagh in 1654. You can access the Irish Quaker Collection of over 1.5 million records at https://www.findmypast.co.uk/quakers

John Grenham provides a detailed list of Quaker Records for County Armagh at https://www.johngrenham.com/records/county_church_full.php?county=Armagh&search_type=full&denomination=Quaker

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 11 Jul 2019 7:28 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Caren, 

That's the spirit! :) I hope that you're able to discover more about your Caine ancestors with the help of the tips from Brian and Martin already posted in this thread. 

Keep us posted on your findings, we would love to hear what you're able to find! 

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 11 Jul 2019 8:41 PM
View Quick Profile
Will do. I hope I do too :)