Lost family history

Lost family history

Author
Posted Thu 11 Jul 2019 12:26 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi
I am having problems finding my mother's family. The problem is that she died when I was young, I don't know of any of her family that might still survive. I know that her parents were Irish. Her family name was McAvoy and her aunt / uncle's family name was O'Reilly. She was born in 1932, the story is that she was born on the boat coming over to Scotland from Ireland. I've tried searching some Irish databases but can find no birth record, and I have tried searching the births in Glasgow, again I can find no record. Anybody any idea where I might be able to find some information? Family is not an option. Thanks
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 11 Jul 2019 1:17 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Jacqueline

A birth certificate for 1932 will not be held online. You will have to apply to the appropriate General Register Office, namely

General Register Office of Ireland
Government Offices, Convent Road, Roscommon, Ireland
Telephone: 00353 90663 2900
Website - www.groireland.ie
Email - gro@health.irlgov.ie

General Register Office of Northern Ireland
Colby House, Stranmillis Court, Belfast, BT9 5RR, Northern Ireland
Telephone: 028 9151 3101
Email: gro_nisra@finance-ni.gov.uk

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 11 Jul 2019 4:02 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hello Jacqueline, 

Thank you so much for letting us be a part of your journey into your family's history. 

We have a few wonderful resources that might help you. Specifically, there's a Three-Step Guide here on the community with very thoughtful advice on how to start your tracing your roots. There's also a tips as tricks thread, where you can learn some secrets about how to make the most of different genealogical resources. 

As was mentioned already, the General Register Office, or GRO, might be the best place for you to get started, based on what you've told us so far.

Another resource you could try is Ireland Reaching Out, a volunteer group with a passion for helping people learn more about their Irish ancestry.

And if you do get stuck, there's just one last resource I'd suggest: Our Community.

Feel free to pop back by for a bit more advice, encouragement, or just to share what you've learned.

We can't wait to hear where this adventure takes you.

Warm wishes,
Rochelle
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 18 Jul 2019 10:09 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)Industry Member (5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 16
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 26 Jul 2023 11:55 AM Visits: 193
Hi Jacqueline, do you know the names of any of your aunts and uncles - you may be able to find birth records for them which would provide more information on your family. 

Alternatively do you know where your mother might have been living in 1939? If she was in Scotland and you have an idea of her address, it may be worth obtaining her 1939 National Register which will give you her date of birth as well as the names and dates of birth of her parents. There is a fee to obtain it from Scotland - you can find out more here: https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/statistics-and-data/nhs-central-register/about-the-register/1939-national-identity-register-and-how-to-order-an-official-extract. (If she was in England or Wales, the 1939 National Register is now available on www.findmypast.com). 

Best wishes,

Gillian Hunt
Research Officer
Ulster Historical Foundation