I can’t wait to visit Belfast, but I’d love to explore more of County Antrim, what else can I do?

I can’t wait to visit Belfast, but I’d love to explore more of County...

Author
Posted Thu 19 Sep 2019 8:19 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Just a two-hour drive from Dublin, Belfast is a great place to explore on a day trip. This bustling hub is the perfect place for foodies and it’s full of activities. But there’s more to County Antrim than just Belfast, here’s what else you can do in the Glens of Antrim! 

Naturally people flock to Belfast, Northern Ireland’s capital. It’s here that you’ll find the Titanic Belfast visitor attraction, located where the Ship of Dreams was built. Close by is HMS Caroline, a ship that saw battle in the First World War, and is now a museum dedicated to telling the stories of those who served aboard. Or, you can tour the Ulster Museum, home to incredible exhibits, and fascinating historical artefacts. 

If you’re looking for a road trip of epic proportions, they don’t get much better than the Causeway Coastal Route. Stretching from Belfast all the way to the historic Walled City, you’ll find golden sands, crashing waves and coastal cliffs as you drive along the narrow lanes and winding roads. Be prepared to make a million stops along the way, as you’ll find an interesting diversion around every corner. Think majestic castles, the oldest licensed distillery in the world, and eagle-eyed fans may find some Game of Thrones® spots situated on the route. 

If you’re looking for a pulse-pounding adventure, then you have to try The Gobbins Cliff Path. Originally designed in 1902 and closed in 1954,  it’s now open for visitors to enjoy again after extensive renovations. At some points the bridge hangs only 10m above the Irish Sea, so brace yourself for the smell of sea salt, and spot the many fish that swim below.  

You’ll find one of Northern Ireland’s most iconic castles on the Antrim coastline. The medieval Dunluce Castle attracts thousands of visitors every year, and it’s not hard to see why. It is said that these ruins were the inspiration for Cair Paravel, the royal castle in CS Lewis’ Chronicles of Narnia. A guide will talk you through the history, including the myths and legends that surround these castle walls, and the two clans that occupied and built the castle as you see it today! 

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/19-09-2019/c2b39b07-9965-4664-97e0-412d.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 19 Sep 2019 10:18 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)Industry Member (29.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 28 Mar 2024 11:42 AM Visits: 2.4K
“There is so much to see around here; we’ll have to come back and explore it properly!” 
That is a comment we hear very frequently in the Visitor Centres of the Causeway Coast and Glens area.  (This area takes in the north of Counties Antrim and Londonderry.)  With more days at your disposal you will come to realise that not only is the Causeway Coastal Route worth travelling, but so too are some of the roads off it. 

For instance, to really capture the feel of life in the Glens of Antrim you can take the scenic route up Glendun from Cushendun.  The Glendun Road hugs the course of the river of the same name.  Both go under the arches of the tall viaduct, and as the road begins to rise, the river gets progressively narrower.  Near the head of the glen you turn right taking the Altarichard Road towards Armoy.  This road weaves its way over the Antrim Hills and at one point you get the most fantastic view all the way down Glenshesk and across the sea to Rathlin Island. As you start to descend the other side of the mountain there is a small car park on the left, from where you can look out over the Bann Valley, towards the Sperrins on the other side, with Lough Foyle and the Inishowen Peninsula clearly visible.  Provided the weather is good,of course!  Turning right along the Coolkeeran Road takes you to a junction with the scenic Glenshesk Road leading to Ballycastle.  The remains of a round tower can be seen beside the church at this junction.  Or if you wish you may turn left to Armoy, go on to the Dark Hedges or on up to the coast. The distances are not far, but the drives are lovely.  And we haven’t even mentioned the Giant’s Causeway or Carrick-a-rede Rope Bridge!  

Take the time to explore; you will see so much more!

Mary.
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 29 Sep 2019 1:35 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (10.2K reputation)Community Member (10.2K reputation)Community Member (10.2K reputation)Community Member (10.2K reputation)Community Member (10.2K reputation)Community Member (10.2K reputation)Community Member (10.2K reputation)Community Member (10.2K reputation)Community Member (10.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 21
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 20 Jun 2022 4:15 PM Visits: 3K
Una de mis paradas favoritas de la Ruta de la Calzada es el puerto de Ballintoy.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/29-09-2019/25ea6fd7-c840-4dce-aaa9-9eb4.jpg

Recomiendo aparcar el coche cerca de la iglesia blanca que se ve en la colina y continuar la visita caminando, ya que la carretera que llega al puerto tiene bastantes curvas y no es demasiado ancha.

Una vez que se ha llegado al puerto, hay 2 posibles caminos, hacia la derecha se encuentra la zona pesquera, con los botes amarrados y una coqueta cafetería para reponer fuerzas. 

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/29-09-2019/6267db40-af6b-4748-a557-cae8.jpg

Siguiendo por el paseo de la bahía, se podrá disfrutar de unas vistas preciosas hacia el mar turquesa.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/29-09-2019/987437d4-18e5-4ac4-a5bd-9b96.jpg

Volviendo sobre nuestros pasos y continuando hacia la izquierda, nos encontramos con una playa llena de formaciones rocosas que fue escenario de Juego de Tronos representando Pyke, en las Islas de Hierro.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/29-09-2019/382cd536-8395-4bba-9e46-1c7e.jpg

Tags