This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Rent a car without credit card under 24

Rent a car without credit card under 24

Author
Posted Mon 7 Oct 2019 8:41 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm hooked
I'm hooked (412 reputation)I'm hooked (412 reputation)I'm hooked (412 reputation)I'm hooked (412 reputation)I'm hooked (412 reputation)I'm hooked (412 reputation)I'm hooked (412 reputation)I'm hooked (412 reputation)I'm hooked (412 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Great Britain
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 10 Oct 2019 8:18 AM Visits: 20
Hello everyone,

I am going to Ireland in 3 weeks and would like to rent a car, but there are problems :
- I don't own a credit card (I only have a French-issued debit card)
- I am 22 years old, so I can't rent from Hertz (who apparently do accept debit cards)

The information I find about Sixt is a bit blurry, but apparently I can't pay with debit card unless I take full insurance coverage, which is unavailable to me as I am under 25.
What solutions do I have ?

If that's any relevant, I want to rent the car at Shannon airport, I have a French-issued full clean driving license of over 4 years, and I have sufficient funds for the deposit.

Thanks in advance !
Maxime
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 7 Oct 2019 10:21 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (48.4K reputation)Community Expert (48.4K reputation)Community Expert (48.4K reputation)Community Expert (48.4K reputation)Community Expert (48.4K reputation)Community Expert (48.4K reputation)Community Expert (48.4K reputation)Community Expert (48.4K reputation)Community Expert (48.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 9 hours ago Visits: 7.6K
Hi Maxime! 

It's so exciting you'll be here so soon, and I would love to see what I can do to point you in the right direction for more information. There are a few other visitors with the same type of questions, and I have collected them for you below: 

- Best option to rent a car with debit card?
- Car hire without Credit Card
- I'm thinking of renting a car - What do I need to know?

The minimum age for most car rental companies is 21, and usually there are some extra requirements in regards to insurance. I recommend reaching out to the car rental company of your choice before to find out everything about the rules. Have you been in touch with Dan Dooley, Enterprise and Great Island Car Rentals yet? Hopefully they will be able to provide you with some options. 

The Car Rental Council of Ireland represents the car rental industry here, and you can also contact them with the same question. I hope some of the other car rental companies here on the Community will get in touch with you too. :)

What is on your itinerary for your trip so far?

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 7 Oct 2019 10:42 AM
View Quick Profile
I'm hooked
I'm hooked (412 reputation)I'm hooked (412 reputation)I'm hooked (412 reputation)I'm hooked (412 reputation)I'm hooked (412 reputation)I'm hooked (412 reputation)I'm hooked (412 reputation)I'm hooked (412 reputation)I'm hooked (412 reputation)
Great Britain
Hi Melin !

I did see that there were other visitors with the same problem, however the solutions for them are sadly not available to me because of my age.
I did check those companies (Dan Dooley, Enterprise and Great Island Car Rentals), but I am too young to rent from them.

I just contacted the car rental council of Ireland, thanks for the information ! I will keep you updated with their answer.

I plan to arrive at Shannon and spend a few days around, before going to Glendalough and then to Killarney :) 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 8 Oct 2019 1:23 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (620 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 10
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 4:49 AM Visits: 224
Hello Maxime! 

I hope Melin's solutions will help you. Yes please, keep us posted on what the car rental council of Ireland is telling you! 😉

Those three destinations are amazing! I hope you will love your trip. While waiting for more information from the car rental council, here are some nice articles about your trip:
- Shannon corridor
- Glendalough
- Visiting in and around Killarney: one of our members asked a great question about that part of Ireland! 

Recently, Muriel also posted her great itinerary on Community. Killarney was part of the trip, so feel free to have a look: à la quête de la force...

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 8 Oct 2019 1:47 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm hooked
Great Britain
Hi ! I didn't get a reply from the car rental council of Ireland yet, however as I kept looking everywhere and contacting car rental companies, I haven't found any option to rent a car on my own in my situation.
The only solution I found so far is to have someone else who does have a credit card rent the car from Sixt and put me as an additional driver. After contacting Sixt about it, it is apparently okay. There's a few questions I had which they answered and might help someone in the same situation as me :
- The additional driver(s) may drive the car without the main driver being present
- The additional driver(s) may return the car at the end of the location without the main driver being present
- The driver and the additional driver(s) have to be present when picking up the car
- If the additional driver(s) are under 25, age restrictions apply even if the main driver is over 25, which means that the full coverage insurance is unavailable, some vehicles (especially luxury ones) are unavailable, and the young driver fee has to be paid
- Having an additional driver on a rental costs about 10€/day

While this solution is far from ideal, and may prevent me from going to Wicklow, it is the only one I could come up with as I am not in my home country right now and thus can't get a credit card, and the only potential options I found for renting a car with a debit card would require me to be older. Hope it helps !
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 9 Oct 2019 11:39 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (7.3K reputation)Community Expert (7.3K reputation)Community Expert (7.3K reputation)Community Expert (7.3K reputation)Community Expert (7.3K reputation)Community Expert (7.3K reputation)Community Expert (7.3K reputation)Community Expert (7.3K reputation)Community Expert (7.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 18
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 9:30 AM Visits: 957
Bonjour Maxime,

Thanks for sharing your solution with us! I'm convinced it will be useful to others in the future.

Since the main driver (and therefore credit card owner) has to be present to pick up the car, you might run into issues renting the vehicle on your own. I would suggest you to contact Sixt again to make sure you can pick up the car alone upon arrival.

If you cannot find a solution, it remains possible to go to Co. Wicklow by bus from Shannon Airport.

A bientôt 😊
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 9 Oct 2019 12:15 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm hooked
Great Britain
Hi Antoine,

No problem, and I do hope it helps someone !

I think maybe you misread? I did say that:
"- The driver and the additional driver(s) have to be present when picking up the car"
Maybe the wording isn't right, but what I meant is that the main driver as well as the additional driver(s) have to be present when picking up the car, however any of the drivers may return the car at the end of the location :)
So no, I'm actually not renting the vehicle on my own, I'm having someone rent it for "us" (but actually me) and paying them back. However it costs extra, as adding additional drivers costs money, for the same thing, but that's the best I can do.
It does require to have someone who can do it and who would be ready to do it for you, so I'm lucky in that matter :)

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 10 Oct 2019 8:17 AM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (620 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 10
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 4:49 AM Visits: 224
Salut Maxime ! 

The solution isn't ideal, but I'm so glad you could find one. 😊It's a lot of difficulties on the way, which means you will enjoy your trip even more! 

Thank you for your time and for letting us know how you found a solution. It could be helpful for other travellers who are in the same situation. 

Did you plan everything else for your trip to come? 😉

Please, let us know if you encounter any other problem. We'll do our best to help! 

Bon voyage 😁

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 22 Oct 2019 8:49 AM
View Quick Profile
Forum Expert
Forum Expert (630 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 14
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 4 Nov 2019 11:27 AM Visits: 34
I think you should contact the car Car Rental in Ireland. I like to give some reference as below
https://www.autoeurope.ie/
https://www.rentalcars.com/
for any car insurance-related query in Ireland, you can contact to 
https://www.brittoninsurance.ie/car-insurance.html
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 7 Jan 2020 4:54 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (35.7K reputation)Community Expert (35.7K reputation)Community Expert (35.7K reputation)Community Expert (35.7K reputation)Community Expert (35.7K reputation)Community Expert (35.7K reputation)Community Expert (35.7K reputation)Community Expert (35.7K reputation)Community Expert (35.7K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 10:23 AM Visits: 5.2K
Hi Maxime,

So how was your adventure in Ireland?

Also, Bonne Année! 😉