Hiring a private driver

Hiring a private driver

Author
Posted Sat 4 Jan 2020 8:21 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
My family and I are planning a trip to Ireland July 2020. We will be six persons.Other than the occasional day trip, we want to travel on our own. I am worried about driving and would be more comfortable with a local driver who is used to driving in Ireland. However, I don't know if I want a stranger traveling with us the whole time we are in Ireland. Is it possible to hire drivers by the day?

Also, we would like to hire houses via Air BNB. Many are in rural places, but if we don't have a car, I don't know how to get to restaurants and shops. It's a conundrum. Any advice you can give us would be greatly appreciated.

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 6 Jan 2020 11:23 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Fran, 

It's so exciting that you are thinking of visiting us with your family this summer! :) It's great that you are looking at the several options available for travelling around, and I'd love to provide you with more information, tips and suggestions for your trip. Have you planned out your itinerary yet, or have you made a list of places you'd like to visit? 

Driving on the left side of the road can be a bit strange at first, but most people get used to it quite quickly because the car and whole road lay-out is designed for traffic on this side. It's always a good idea to practice and get accustomed in the parking area before you hit the road, and you can find more helpful tips for first time left side of the road drivers in this thread from Lizabeth.

I completely understand if you prefer to sit back, relax and enjoy the view though, and a local driver who knows everything about the area is the perfect solution for that. There are approved and recommended private driver and chauffeur services all over the island, and I'm sure they would love to tell you more about the possibilities if you reach out to them directly. You can ask them about day tours as well. :)

I have also collected a few helpful threads about hiring a chauffeur or private driver for you below: 

- Private Driver
- Van driver for hire? 
- Personal driver

When visiting rural places a car is usually an easy way to get to your destination. Where are you thinking of staying? A bus or taxi can bring you to and from your accommodation to nearby restaurants or shops as well. 

I hope this was helpful, and that you'll receive more ideas from our other members! 
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 6 Jan 2020 12:36 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Fran,

I hope you are keeping well and am delighted to hear that you are planning a special trip to Ireland this summer! You will have a fantastic time.

I work with Specialized Travel Services and we're a customized travel company who organize trips around Ireland and provide local professional driver-guides. Our customers love the drivers as they have local expertise, insider tips and tell great stories along the way! We'd be delighted to help you customize a trip and can help you with finding suitable accommodation as well. We customize everything around your interests, needs and budget!

My contact details are below if you want to get in touch :)

Dee 
1-800-664-7474
Email: newyork@special-irelannd.com
www.special-ireland.com

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 6 Jan 2020 1:40 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Fran
Many thanks for your enquiry.
I note you are hoping to visit Ireland in July of this year and hope I will be able to help.

We are based in the beautiful heritage village of Tuamgraney Co Clare and operate a 4 Star B & B and a Taxi/Travel Service, so therefore we may be able to accommodate all your requirements. 
All the sights of Co Clare are within easy reach and we're just 45 minutes drive from Shannon International Airport. I can also collect/drop off at any airport in Ireland and I drive an 9 seater vehicle, which would be more than capable of accommodating your group and your luggage.

We operate personalised Day Tours from our base here in East Clare and Our Signature Tour features the Cliffs of Moher while Bunratty Castle & Folk Park, Burren National Park, Aran Islands, Kylemore Abbey/Connemara and the Rock of Cashel etc are also within reach. We also offer a Local East Clare Tour with lots of "Off the Beaten Track" places to see and experience.

Please let me know your approx travel dates, arrival details, specific places you would like to see/visit and I will put together a detailed itinerary and costing for your approval.

Please check out our website www.clarevillehouse.ie for further information and have a look at the East Clare Cabs & Clare Day Tours pages on our website.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards

Derek

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 8 Jan 2020 11:09 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Fran, 

Lovely to hear that you're visiting Ireland later this year. I understand where you're coming from. My passengers often tell my why they’ve opted to be driven around rather than doing it themselves. If you come from a country where you drive on the right hand side of the road, it can be a little scary driving on the left hand side, especially on narrow roads. Being a passenger means everyone in the group can relax and take in the sights. A reputable tour guide will know all the best attractions, including those off the beaten track, and what time of day to visit them. They’ve also tried and tested lunch spots so you’re not taking a gamble with your money or time. Of course you will give your input on the itinerary but you don’t have to do extensive research and planning.

Look for private chauffeur/tour guides with a seven or eight seater vehicle and ample room for your luggage. Quite often you don't have to be with the same driver for the whole country. A driver in one county may recommend a driver in another county when you move on or they may stay with you the whole trip, it's up to you. On a day to day basis, the driver can leave you alone as you explore sites, have lunch etc. or join your group like one of the family - either is up to you and totally acceptable. I find I often make life long friends on my private tours so it's not like a group plus a stranger driving. 

If you make it to County Donegal I offer bespoke tours of the county as well as simple door to door transfers, e.g. airport transfers. I hold all relevant SPSV and Category B&D licences and my 8 seater Mercedes minivan is fully SPSV licenced. I am also a Fáilte Ireland approved Local and Regional Tour Guide. Or feel free to drop me a line and I can put you in touch with some other very reputable contacts throughout the country. 

Best of luck with your planning. 

Henry Doohan
www.DonegalTourGuide.ie