This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Mobility Question

Mobility Question

Author
Inactive User
Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 4 Sep 2019 8:42 AM Visits: 0
My husband and I are planning to visit Ireland in April of 2016. My husband has mobility issues. Can you recommend a company that could rent him a scooter or electric chair, and a company that rents wheelchair capable vans? We would need the van when we get to the airport in Shannon. Thank you.

(Sent in from one of our friends via email)
Posted Thu 14 Jan 2016 4:14 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (16.2K reputation)Supreme Being (16.2K reputation)Supreme Being (16.2K reputation)Supreme Being (16.2K reputation)Supreme Being (16.2K reputation)Supreme Being (16.2K reputation)Supreme Being (16.2K reputation)Supreme Being (16.2K reputation)Supreme Being (16.2K reputation)
Great Britain
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 17 Jan 2019 3:27 PM Visits: 724
It's wonderful to see that you and your husband are planning a holiday to Ireland next April and of course I would be more than happy to help you find all the information you will need to plan the most wonderful holiday.

Ireland has always been a very welcoming country and there has been plenty of effort made to make Ireland accessible to visitors who may have reduced mobility, or rely on the assistance of a care taker. You can find our article about travelling with reduced mobility in Ireland via the following link: http://www.ireland.com/en-us/accommodation/articles/accessibility/

I have put together a list of specialized car rental companies for you here:

Mobility Ireland
Allied Mobility 
Adapted Vehicle Hire (Northern Ireland)

Of course, there are also plenty of helpful companies who rent out scooters and electric wheelchairs, that I have listed for you here:

Mobility Rentals
Mobility Direct
Mobility Hire

Finally, I have also put together a couple of other websites that you might find helpful for your holiday:

http://www.accessibleireland.com/
http://www.wheelchairtaxi.ie/ 
http://www.disabilitytravel.com/independent/accessible-ireland-vacations.htm
http://www.bandbireland.com/home (here you may choose “Wheelchair access” in the second step of your search.)

Hopefully this information is helpful to you.

Posted Thu 14 Jan 2016 4:42 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (15.5K reputation)Industry Member (15.5K reputation)Industry Member (15.5K reputation)Industry Member (15.5K reputation)Industry Member (15.5K reputation)Industry Member (15.5K reputation)Industry Member (15.5K reputation)Industry Member (15.5K reputation)Industry Member (15.5K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Mon 2 Dec 2019 8:03 PM Visits: 789
The previous post has a lot of fantastic information, well done Melin. 

We are often asked if our boats are wheelchair accessible. The answer is that we will do our very best to provide access to the vessels for wheelchair passengers, and each person's mobility is assessed individually.  Able-bodied passengers board via a short gangway, and then there are some steps to the lower deck.  When it is suitable to lift the wheelchair on board, we will remove the side rail of the boat and lift the passenger onboard, where they stay on the top deck.

We always advise passengers to call ahead (+353 65 7075949) or email us with any questions about access, so please do get in touch if you have specific questions.

Enjoy your trip to Ireland!https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/18-01-2016/0971f36e-c781-4d02-8e7d-8548.jpg

Posted Mon 18 Jan 2016 3:29 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)
Hello. I'm glad I found this site!
I've been to Ireland four times (not much compared to my friends). However, my health has declined and yet, I still want to visit. I usually rent a car and go off on my own. I can still drive and do not need a handicapped vehicle, but I'm wondering what places are easily accessible to folks with canes and walkers and such.
Blessings to you all for your support.
PS - I went to the website you suggested for wheelchair access and found it informative, but I'm still anxious. Thanks!

Posted Mon 1 Aug 2016 4:35 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Hello Sharron, welcome to the Community! :)
It is great to see that you're busy planning a trip to the Emerald Isle, as this will be a great opportunity to discover many of Ireland's greatest attractions and make amazing memories.
A great starting point is to checkout AccessibleIreland, as they cover everything from accommodation to hiring a car and what attractions to visit. This link provides an overview of all facilities in each accommodation, such as accessible rooms and parking spaces. This will be beneficial for yourself as you can see what each attraction has for mobility concerns.
We hope this helps. :)

Gareth

Posted Mon 1 Aug 2016 5:03 PM
Question