This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

WAW northern half - road restrictions?

WAW northern half - road restrictions?

Author
Posted Fri 16 Oct 2020 12:01 PM
View Quick Profile
Forum Expert
Forum Expert (662 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 8
Group: Community Member Last Active: Yesterday @ 2:38 PM Visits: 47
Thanks for all your replies so far!!!
But the more I look the more questions come. You stated that the WAW roads are good for our big camper. But I just read some text about the Mamore Gap on the Inishowen Penninsula which makes it out as pretty tricky. So again my question: is that possible to drive with a camper of these dimensions 7,30m length, 2,20m-2,30m width ?
Cheers,
Martina

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 16 Oct 2020 1:20 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (50.7K reputation)Community Expert (50.7K reputation)Community Expert (50.7K reputation)Community Expert (50.7K reputation)Community Expert (50.7K reputation)Community Expert (50.7K reputation)Community Expert (50.7K reputation)Community Expert (50.7K reputation)Community Expert (50.7K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 5:15 PM Visits: 8.6K
Hi Martina, 

I completely understand your question!

The Mamore Gap is indeed a steep and windy road, and it can be quite narrow at some points. There are people who have driven this route with a similar-sized motorhome, and they recommend to drive from the Buncrana side as the route up from Lenan is twistier and with a steeper climb. They also recommend to take it slow and to take your time. 

What are your plans so far for the Inishowen Peninsula? There might be a different or alternative route available where you're still able to enjoy all the sights. :)
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 16 Oct 2020 2:07 PM
View Quick Profile
Forum Expert
Forum Expert (662 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 8
Group: Community Member Last Active: Yesterday @ 2:38 PM Visits: 47
Hi Melin, I don't have any plans yet, beside the overall plan to travel the WAW wherever this is possible, take in the highlights and take time for sightseeing along the way up from Galway. We may also continue further on the Causeway Coastal Way, for example visit The Gobbins and maybe Newgrange if time permits (I have a little over 5 weeks) before having to take the ferry from Dublin again.
Cheers,
Martina

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 17 Oct 2020 9:40 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (50.7K reputation)Community Expert (50.7K reputation)Community Expert (50.7K reputation)Community Expert (50.7K reputation)Community Expert (50.7K reputation)Community Expert (50.7K reputation)Community Expert (50.7K reputation)Community Expert (50.7K reputation)Community Expert (50.7K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 5:15 PM Visits: 8.6K
Good morning Martina, 

Thanks for clarifying! :) It's wonderful that you have five whole weeks to travel around, and if you have the time you should definitely include the Causeway Coast into your itinerary. You can find some ideas here

The Causeway Coastal Route has signs which say 'Scenic Route' and these are generally not accessible by larger vehicles. A lot of the small roads along the Northern Irish coast will have signs which mention these restrictions as well, but you'll still be able to reach most of the highlights, like the Giant's Causeway, without any issues. 

Take a look here for more information about the Gobbins. The visitor centre is easily accessible, and from there on you hop on a bus to the cliff path with your tour guide. 

In general, the roads on the island that are closer to the coast can be more steep and narrow, but the main roads that Cindy mentioned in her earlier reply should be fine. :) For the areas that aren't accessible, you could always choose to go on a guided tour so you won't miss out on any of the sights. 

I usually find that Google maps gives you a good idea of what the road looks like and this way you can judge if you'd be comfortable driving there. If you'd like to look into the accessibility of any of the individual routes and sightseeing spots, I'm always here to help!