I'd love to visit the Ring of Kerry, what are the highlights around the area?

I'd love to visit the Ring of Kerry, what are the highlights around...

Author
Posted Thu 20 May 2021 12:59 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)Community Expert (202 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 14 Dec 2022 3:59 PM Visits: 1.1K
The Ring of Kerry is no ordinary road trip! And with such incredible natural beauty, you’ll understand why they call Kerry ‘The Kingdom’.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/20-05-2021/06d4031b-a849-4313-a0fe-8a8c.jpg

Your journey starts and ends in Killarney, so a visit to Killarney National Park should be first on your agenda. This park is full of hidden gems like Torc Waterfall and Ross Castle.  Soak up the mountainous landscape and its staggering beauty at one of the park’s best lookouts, Ladies View, overlooking the Lakes of Killarney. And in the middle of all this wild beauty sits Muckross House & Gardens – a 19th century Victorian mansion and a true treat for the eyes. Explore the finest luxury inside and find the very room where Queen Victoria stayed during her visit to the Ring of Kerry in 1861. For a show stopping panoramic view of it all, drive along the mountain pass of Moll’s Gap – warning: you may find it hard to keep your eyes firmly on the road!

Nothing quite beats the charm of an Irish village and the Iveragh Peninsula has plenty to potter around. A few minutes from Moll’s Gap is the village of Kenmare, which is packed with cafes, craft shops and small galleries to explore. Or take a breather in Sneem and admire all the colourful houses that make up this picturesque village. While Waterville takes the culinary prize for some of the most superb local food fresh from the sea – we’re talking mouthwatering lobster, mussels, salmon and prawns.

Kerry just has that star factor… No, really! It’s home to one of just three Gold Tier International Dark Sky Reserves in the world. Kerry’s Dark Sky Reserve in Ballinskelligs is recognised for its pristine clear skies, filled with thousands of twinkling stars and several shimmering planets on a clear night. What better way to end an evening than getting lost in the stars?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/20-05-2021/6aac5f3f-fae6-4069-914c-fbe2.jpg

But we’re not the only ones that think Kerry’s beauty is out of this world… Take a small detour off the Ring of Kerry route to the village of Portmagee and explore where the Star Wars cast and crew stayed whilst filming Star Wars: The Force Awakens. What brought the world-famous team to this pretty village? None other than Skellig Michael, of course! A remote, monastic island dating back to the 6th century, which fans will recognise as Luke Skywalker’s Jedi retreat. The Skellig Islands are just a short boat ride off the coast of Portmagee, so you can get up close and personal with this incredible sight, too.

You can’t visit the Wild Atlantic Way and not at least dip your feet into the water! Take a break from the road and stretch your legs on Derrynane Beach; one of more peaceful beaches along the Ring of Kerry route. Not too far away is another taste of paradise at Castlecove Beach, known for its white sand and remarkable turquoise coloured water. And tuck in for a spot of lunch at its popular beachside bar, O’Carroll’s Cove, before you hit the road again.

Do any of our Community members recall a memorable spot they’d recommend along the Ring of Kerry?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/20-05-2021/c69eae28-8096-4cb3-ada1-5f02.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 26 Jun 2021 12:47 PM
View Quick Profile
I'm into this
I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)I'm into this (205 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 11
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 26 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 41
Waterville was definitely a highlight of our stay on the Ring of Kerry drive. Did you know that the first transatlantic cable connecting Europe and North America came ashore nearby? You can even book a stay in the historic Telegraph Station.
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 27 Jun 2021 9:37 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
A super tip for anyone looking for somewhere different to stay!

As a point of interest, it is hoped that Skellig Michael is open for visitors again soon after some much-needed clear up and installation of toilet facilities.