Oliver St John Gogarty's Hostel

Oliver St John Gogarty's Hostel

Author
Posted Tue 2 Nov 2021 2:29 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Nov 2021 12:19 PM Visits: 4
Hi,
We're visiting Dublin at the start of December. We've stayed at Gogartys for the last 5/6 years and we're booked in for this year as well. Unfortunately after weeks of no contact from them I suspect they've never reopened sice the lockdown measures have been eased. Could anyone shed some light? We're in the process of booking alternative accommodation but will be dissappointed if we've lost out on our money as we paid in full some time ago.

Many thanks, David.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 3 Nov 2021 2:33 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hello David,

Thank you for reaching out about this upcoming trip, though I am very sorry to hear about this trouble. I'd certainly be happy to help point you towards resources that may be able to help! 

If you're not able to reach management at Gogarty's through their website, what I would recommend is to reach out to Fáilte Ireland and inform them about your experience. As the National Tourism Development Authority, they're the ones supporting tourism businesses on the ground and are monitoring the situation in the current climate. For the sake of Irish Tourism, Fáilte Ireland actively advocates and promotes best practices for the benefit of all concerned.

I should add that as all tourist accommodations are provided by the private sector, they are free to interact with their public however they see as appropriate to their business objectives. While Fáilte Ireland does have a role in regulating accommodation, the legal contract of sale is between the guest and the accommodation provider. Unfortunately, Fáilte Ireland can't hold responsibility for how the private sector interacts with their customers.

In addition, these websites may be of interest as well:

The Competition and Consumer Protection Commission 
The European Consumer Centre 

I do sincerely hope that this helps! If you need any help finding new accommodations, please do feel free to stop by again. We might just be able to point you in the right direction.

Warmly,
Rochelle
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 4 Nov 2021 12:20 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)Gaining Respect (173 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Nov 2021 12:19 PM Visits: 4
Thank you very much Rochelle, your advice is much appreicated.

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 5 Nov 2021 9:36 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi David, 

We're so happy to see you've received so many helpful tips and recommendations from Rochelle! If you ever have any other questions, the Community is here to help! 

Keep us posted on your plans and trip. We'd love to hear more! :)

Warm wishes, 

Melin