This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Patrick Hassett born circa 18870 - 1880

Patrick Hassett born circa 18870 - 1880

Author
Posted Thu 14 Jul 2016 8:14 PM
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 4 Sep 2019 8:42 AM Visits: 0
I am looking for details regarding my great-grandfather Patrick Hassett who left Ireland for the Cape of Good Hope (South Africa in the late 1800's or 1900-1901.  he married a lady called Johanna Catherin Jane (who was apparently a French Jewess) - can find no record of the marriage.  They had a daughter Esther Maria Ruby (my grandmother) who was born on 19th September 1901. Can find no record of her birth.  She was baptised into the Catholic Church in Kimberly South Africa (Beaconsfield Parish) in January 1902.  Any information would be helpful.  There were cousins with the name Reilly or O'Reilly.  Looking for Passenger lists for ships sailing from Ireland to South Africa (Cape).
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 14 Jul 2016 9:49 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 18
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Fri 24 Jul 2020 5:28 PM Visits: 1.2K
Hi Linda

If you have not already done so, check out Rootsireland website (http://www.rootsireland.ie) as a search of their indexes reveals 4 marriage records of a Patrick Hassett between 1895 and 1900 (in counties Galway, Laois, Limerick and Tipperary).

As passenger departures from Ireland to South Africa from 1890 to 1922 are recorded in Board of Trade records you should be able to find Patrick's entry in passenger departure leaving UK and Ireland 1890 to 1860 in online subscription websites such as Ancestry and Findmypast.

Good luck with your research.

Brian Mitchell
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 15 Jul 2016 8:51 AM
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)
Thanks so much Brian.  I am absolutely useless on these search machines - I have registered with roots.ireland now, but cannot proceed further.  I think I need to look for someone who does this for a living.... I have been battling with this for months now :(
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 15 Jul 2016 10:23 AM
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Hi Linda! If you're interested in hiring a professional, there are some great organisations out there. I would suggest that you reach out to Accredited Genealogists Ireland (AGI), Association of Ulster Genealogists and Records Agents (AUGRA), or the Society of Genealogists Northern Ireland (SGNI). In the meantime, there's some great tips on another thread on our Community which might help you continue your research at home: Helpful Research Tips I hope this helps! :)

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 15 Jul 2016 10:55 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Fri 24 Jul 2020 5:28 PM Visits: 1.2K
Hi Linda

Just checked Ancestry Library edition in my local library and it records in UK Outward passenger lists 1890-1960 the following interesting entry:

Mr P. Hassett, age 26, Irish, departed Southampton, England on 2 April 1898 on ship 'Greek' for Cape, South Africa

This would make sense as bulk of Irish emigrants in second half of 19th century destined for South Africa, Australia and New Zealand would have made their way by steamer across the Irish Sea to the big British ports such as Liverpool, London, Plymouth, Southampton etc.

With best wishes

Brian

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 15 Jul 2016 4:00 PM
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Ah thanks so much Brian.  That would mean then that my grandmother was born in South Africa (not what I wanted to hear) but they seem to have no record of her birth here.  Thanks so much for your help.  I would like to find a record still of his marriage - I am sure he married in Ireland.  Will continue my search.  Thanks so much, you have been extremely helpful. 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 27 Sep 2016 12:27 PM
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Dear Brian
You mentioned a passenger Patrick Hasset on the ship "Greek".  Was there a Mrs Hassett as well?  He was married to a lady who first names were  Johanna Catherine Jane.  Can find no record of his marriage.  Their child was baptized in the Cape in January 1902.... Kind regards,
Linda
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 30 Sep 2016 7:17 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Derry~Londonderry
Hi Linda

From recollection no other people with surname Hassett were travelling with the Mr P. Hassett, age 26, who departed Southampton, England on 2 April 1898 on ship 'Greek' for Cape, South Africa.

However, as genealogical research is as much about elimination as it is finding an ancestor I would recommend that you use Ancestry Library Edition in your local library to examine all Hassetts listed in British Outward passenger lists for South Africa.

All the best

Brian