This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Cycling a bit of Eire

Cycling a bit of Eire

Author
I'm hooked
I'm hooked (533 reputation)I'm hooked (533 reputation)I'm hooked (533 reputation)I'm hooked (533 reputation)I'm hooked (533 reputation)I'm hooked (533 reputation)I'm hooked (533 reputation)I'm hooked (533 reputation)I'm hooked (533 reputation)
Great Britain
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 3 Aug 2016 11:36 AM Visits: 9
I have put together a little multi destination cycling trip for myself to try,I plane on going it in stages or legs. The first being from Dublin down to Wexford. Could anyone please help me with this as it is a bit of a long first leg so might need a bit of a bath when i get there.LOL.
I would be undertaking this little self test next September,I have time to prepare just need some help with good advice.

Thanks. John
Posted Thu 28 Jul 2016 10:39 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (9.1K reputation)Supreme Being (9.1K reputation)Supreme Being (9.1K reputation)Supreme Being (9.1K reputation)Supreme Being (9.1K reputation)Supreme Being (9.1K reputation)Supreme Being (9.1K reputation)Supreme Being (9.1K reputation)Supreme Being (9.1K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 29 Jul 2016 5:57 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hi John and welcome to the community!

That is indeed a long first leg between Dublin to Wexford. What kind of advice are you looking for? Is it accommodation suggestions or the route you need to take?

Posted Thu 28 Jul 2016 11:48 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (1.2K reputation)Industry Member (1.2K reputation)Industry Member (1.2K reputation)Industry Member (1.2K reputation)Industry Member (1.2K reputation)Industry Member (1.2K reputation)Industry Member (1.2K reputation)Industry Member (1.2K reputation)Industry Member (1.2K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 21 Feb 2018 10:04 AM Visits: 57
Hi John,

Welcome to the Community.

Your cycling trip sounds fantastic! Hopefully you'll get nice weather to make it a little bit easier.
As you'll be travelling around Ireland, our selection of hotels might be perfect for you to choose from as you can contact us to make all of the bookings in our member hotels. We have hotels in Dublin, Wicklow, Wexford and all over Ireland (55 hotels as part of Manor House Hotels & Irish Country Hotels) so there will be plenty of options.

You can contact our team to check location and rates - reservations@manorhousehotels.com or check out our websites for more info on locations to suit your journey - www.manorhousehotels.com & www.irishcountryhotels.com.

Best of luck with the cycling!

David C 

Posted Thu 28 Jul 2016 12:06 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (9.6K reputation)Industry Member (9.6K reputation)Industry Member (9.6K reputation)Industry Member (9.6K reputation)Industry Member (9.6K reputation)Industry Member (9.6K reputation)Industry Member (9.6K reputation)Industry Member (9.6K reputation)Industry Member (9.6K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Mon 29 Jan 2018 3:11 PM Visits: 429
Hi John,
Your trip sounds fantastic!
My advice would be to read our blog interview with a cyclist who tackled your route.
He actually traveled the country staying in Bed and Breakfasts enjoying Irish hospitality at its best.
http://goo.gl/cpvpDu
Karen

Posted Thu 28 Jul 2016 3:20 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
I'm hooked
I'm hooked (533 reputation)I'm hooked (533 reputation)I'm hooked (533 reputation)I'm hooked (533 reputation)I'm hooked (533 reputation)I'm hooked (533 reputation)I'm hooked (533 reputation)I'm hooked (533 reputation)I'm hooked (533 reputation)
Great Britain
Hello Ghyslaine.

Yes it is a long first leg but i thought it might get into my stride better,I am putting in my hoped for route and an approximate amount of time.
I hope to complete each leg.

What would be good would be Bed and Breakfast establishments along the way or Pubs that have accommodation,that would give me marker points and goals to reach on each leg of my ten day trip. On the shorter legs i could use the time to look around local points of interest.

So here is my route.

Leg One  Dublin to wexford 7 to eight hours distance of 133 KM

Leg Two  Wexford to Waterford 3 to 4 hours 52KM

Leg Three  Waterford to Clonmel. 3 to 4 hours 48 KM

Leg Four  Clonal to Cork. 5 to 6 hours 92 KM

Leg Five   Cork to Killarney 6 hours 84 KM

Leg Six.   Cork to Tralee 3 hours 33 KM

Leg Seven  Tralee to Limerick 6 hours 100KM

Leg eight.  Limerick to Galway 6hours 95 KM

Leg Nine   Galway to Athlone 5 hours 86 KM

Leg Ten    Athlone to Mulinger 3 hours 50 KM

Leg Eleven  Mulinger to Dublin  5 Hours 86 KM

Once again thanks for any help,as you can imagine getting a budget together is also one of my little jobs.O;-)

John

Posted Fri 29 Jul 2016 11:15 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (9.1K reputation)Supreme Being (9.1K reputation)Supreme Being (9.1K reputation)Supreme Being (9.1K reputation)Supreme Being (9.1K reputation)Supreme Being (9.1K reputation)Supreme Being (9.1K reputation)Supreme Being (9.1K reputation)Supreme Being (9.1K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 29 Jul 2016 5:57 PM Visits: 1.6K
Oh wow, that is a nice list! We have a very handy tool on our website that allows you to select B&B's on location and you can spot them on the map for your route.

There are a few fun things you can check out on the way. When you are doing your 2nd leg and if you have time, check out Hook Head Lighthouse on the Hook Head peninsula. It's a stunning lighthouse. And if you are brave enough one of the most haunted mansions of Ireland, Loftus Hall

I think leg 6 will bring you through Killarney National Park, which is a great stop to take a wee break and enjoy this amazing national park.

Clonmacnoise is a bit out of the way from your 9th leg but if you want to dive in to Ireland's Ancient East, this is a great place to do so.  

Posted Fri 29 Jul 2016 6:01 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (676 reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Fri 5 Aug 2016 10:34 AM Visits: 18
Hi John,

That's a great plan - you will get to see SO much of the country.
The last 2 legs of your journey could give you some really interesting off -road opportunities if that suited you?
Athlone - Mullingar has been developed as an off-road cycling/walking route. It was an old railway track, there is a video on YouTube you could check out called the 'Old Rail Trail: Mullingar - Athlone Greenway' - this will give you a sense of it.

Additionally from Mullingar to Dublin the towpath of the Royal Canal will give you a fabulous off-road insight to both rural and urban Ireland from the hidden side - the canal. The towpath runs right into the centre of Dublin, crosses over the Liffey and links up with the Grand Canal in the centre of the city. There are many videos on YouTube about it. Its called the Royal Canal Greenway.

Should more off-road routes also be of interest to you, IrishTrails.ie is the website of the National Trails Office, and while some of their routes are walking only, some others could give you a new way of looking at the itinerary you have planned.

Hope you have a wonderful trip, if there is any more information I gan give you, delighted to help. All the best

Katrina

Posted Wed 3 Aug 2016 10:19 AM
Recommendation
View Quick Profile
I'm hooked
Great Britain
Thanks Katrina i will certainly look up the ideas you have given me,I am particularly interested in the canal towing path part i did not know they had a canal in Dublin,LOL thanks again

John
Tags
Posted Wed 3 Aug 2016 11:37 AM
Question