This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Cycling a bit of Eire

Cycling a bit of Eire

Author
New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)New Member (27 reputation)
Belgium
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 9 Jan 2020 11:43 AM Visits: 8
Hello John,
My wife and me are planning a 2 week vacation to Ireland.
We know more or less what we want but have some issues.

We want to make 2 cycling tours (self guided max distance of 40 miles (65 km) a day):
- one from Cliffs of Moher , Doolin, The Burren, Galway (Connemara), Clifden, Inishbofin (visit) , Kylemore Abbey, Leenane, Westport.
- the other in the Donegal County From Donegal via the Wild Atlantic way (Slieve League), national park Glenveagh, Letterkenny

We take the flight from Brussels - Dublin, and we also want a day visit in Dublin (the day before return flight).

Questions:

Biggest issue is our Luggage. We do not want to take them all the way on the cycling tours.
Can we hire bicycles from start and leave them at the finish of our tour ?
Do we need to book B&B in advance ?
In your opinion can we manage this program in 2 weeks ?

Have you any interesting insider information.

We are so looking forward to our stay in Ireland :-)

Thank you already,
Steven & Kathy

Posted Thu 9 Jan 2020 11:48 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (42.3K reputation)Community Expert (42.3K reputation)Community Expert (42.3K reputation)Community Expert (42.3K reputation)Community Expert (42.3K reputation)Community Expert (42.3K reputation)Community Expert (42.3K reputation)Community Expert (42.3K reputation)Community Expert (42.3K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 9 hours ago Visits: 7K
Hallo Steven! 

It's wonderful that you and your wife are thinking of exploring the island by bike! When are you thinking of visiting? 

If you are seasoned cyclists, the number of kilometres per day should be doable, but it's always a good idea to plan your route for the day. This way you can prepare for hills that might take longer, as well as wonderful places to stop along the way. 

I have collected a few helpful threads about cycling for you below:

- I love cycling, and can't wait to explore when I visit. Where can I find the best cycling trails?
- Cycling Holidays Mayo
- Best road types for cycling
- Set route with recommended B&B's (This thread has some great tips on accommodation along the way)

For more general information, as well as bicycle rental, take a look on the following page.

Depending on when you are visiting it can be handy to book your accommodation ahead so you're sure you'll have a place to stay after a full day of cycling. Do you want your luggage to be moved for you from location to location, or would you like to store it in one place? 

I hope our other members will be able to provide you with more tips, and we're always here if you have any questions. :)

Vriendelijke groet,

Melin

Posted Fri 10 Jan 2020 11:21 AM
Question