This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

I’m going to Northern Ireland and love being outdoors, where should I go for the best views?

I’m going to Northern Ireland and love being outdoors, where should I...

Author
Community Expert
Community Expert (2.9K reputation)Community Expert (2.9K reputation)Community Expert (2.9K reputation)Community Expert (2.9K reputation)Community Expert (2.9K reputation)Community Expert (2.9K reputation)Community Expert (2.9K reputation)Community Expert (2.9K reputation)Community Expert (2.9K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 17 Aug 2016 5:15 PM Visits: 49
If you enjoy the outdoors, Northern Ireland is a gorgeous area to explore, with so many places where the views will take your breath away, we simply stop counting!  

Let me start with County Antrim, a county filled with so many jaw-dropping spots, you’ll wonder what to do first. My personal favourite? Take a leisurely walk down the narrow path leading to the jaw-dropping UNESCO World Heritage site, the Giant’s Causeway. According to Eleanor from the Visitor Centre, “The Giant’s Causeway is the aftermath of volcanic crashing, burning and cooling. An epic 60-million-year-old legacy to lava. Over 40,000 basalt columns. Interlocked.” Wow doesn’t doesn’t come close to doing it justice.

Some may argue that this next spot is even better than the Causeway itself, but we’ll put that down to the adrenaline rushing through their veins while they cross a swaying rope bridge hanging 100ft high above the crashing waves. Yes, it’s the Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge, so put on your sturdy boots and walk the .7 miles from the car park to the bridge itself. But, oh, when you get there, the views are simply sublime... These are moments that will make your heart beat slower and faster at the same time.

Speaking of adrenaline. You’ll need another dose at this next place – a trail that is about as close as you can get to walking on water. The Gobbins is a cliff path that wraps its way the Antrim coastline, and is a pretty stunning architectural feat, given its creators erected this over 100 years ago.

Inland, there’s even more to enjoy. Walk along the Dark Hedges – otherwise known as the Kingsroad for HBO’s Game of Thrones fans. This eerie tree-lined stretch of road is simply beautiful during as the sun sets. Finally, it was Percy French, who memorialised the Mourne Mountains beauty as they ‘swept down to the sea’ – and when you make your way to county Down, you’ll certainly understand how he chose this natural landscape to memorialise in his lyrics.

Of course, this is just the tip of the iceberg – the Fermanagh Lakelands, the Sperrins and Portrush are all picture perfect, too. One thing’s for sure, the fresh, clean air anywhere you go will make any trip outdoors worth the walk.

Enjoy!

http://www.ireland.com/en-us/destinations/northern-ireland/

Posted Wed 10 Aug 2016 4:23 PM
Question