This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Searching for information on John Devine, Cashel Irelalnd

Searching for information on John Devine, Cashel Irelalnd

Author
Posted Sat 27 Aug 2016 8:28 AM
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 4 Sep 2019 8:42 AM Visits: 0
My family history indicates that our relative John Devine came from Cashel Ireland and emigrated around the time of the potato famine or after.  Cannot trace very far to find him.  Any assistance would be great.  K or Catherine Elizabeth Devine was a child. 
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 27 Aug 2016 11:45 AM
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 4 Sep 2019 8:42 AM Visits: 0
Hi Lola! It's so great that you’ve taken such an interest in researching you Irish family history! :D

While it is exciting to see that your family’s roots in Ireland go back as far as the 1800’s, sometimes this can make your research journey a little bit trickier, given that fact that civil registration was not introduced in Ireland until 1864. As your relatives may have emigrated from Ireland before this date, a good starting point would be to get in touch with one of the local genealogical centres here in Ireland. There are located all throughout the island of Ireland, and here you will find any surviving church records (birth, marriage, death certificates, etc.) which pre-date 1864. To find details for the local genealogical centre in Tipperary, please click here.

I actually took a further look into your family name too, and according to House of Names, the Devines have a long history in Ireland, with the name first originating in Derry~Londonderry.  Perhaps it would be a good idea to reach out to the genealogical centre there too?

There are lots of other fantastic online resources outlined here in our step-by-step research guide. I would encourage you to check them out if you haven’t done so already, as who knows; it might help you find the next big breakthrough in your search!

I hope this helps you, Lola, and please let us know how you get on! :D

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 27 Aug 2016 8:37 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)Industry Member (38.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 18
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Fri 24 Jul 2020 5:28 PM Visits: 1.2K
Hi Lola

I would recommend that in the first instance you search passenger arrivals records on websites such as Ancestry or FindMyPast for possible immigration reference for John Devine.

Also look for further information about John in USA, such as census returns etc to see if you can find clues to names of John's parents and approximate date of birth.

Then you can follow this up with searches of Irish family history databases such as www.irishgenealogy.ie and www.irishroots.ie.

With best wishes

Brian