This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

A Mother On A Mission!

A Mother On A Mission!

Author
Inactive User
Inactive User (22.6K reputation)Inactive User (22.6K reputation)Inactive User (22.6K reputation)Inactive User (22.6K reputation)Inactive User (22.6K reputation)Inactive User (22.6K reputation)Inactive User (22.6K reputation)Inactive User (22.6K reputation)Inactive User (22.6K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 4 Sep 2019 8:42 AM Visits: 0
Hello there !
My name is Brittnie but I go by Britt. I am hoping to get some answers about my ancestry and roots.
I happen to know that my family came over from Ireland in 1847 by way of Canada and Lake Champlain. I know they settled down in Ticonderoga,Essex County, New York . Their names were Ellen and Miles Norton. I know they had a large family (5-7 children)and that my great great grandmother Catherine may have gone by May or Mary .She married a man named John Lowman and they had a daughter they called May. I have family scrapbooks with photos from the 1800's and early 1900's. Inside are reference to a Margaret and Gertrude Norton. The thing is I don't know where in Ireland they came from. I found a relative or mine who told me they were referenced in a book about Potato Famine Immigrants . I know Ellen died in 1915  in her late 70's or early 80's. She was widowed in 1894 .For the last 2 years I have compiled records and researched every possibility available. I am a trying to put together a family memoir for my 15 month old daughter and plan on writing about my search. I know this is probably silly but I have questions that are burning to be answered. May, my great-great grandmother was born in 1904 or 1905 and she was my great grandmother's Mom. Her name was Cathryn . She died in 1961 when my Grandmother was 11 years old.My Gram died in 2013 when she died part of my world went with her. My Grandmother was like a Mother to me. I spent every other weekend at her house and every day after school. When she passed I was left with boxes of family mementos and albums. Among those mementos was a scrapbook put together that changed my life.I know it sounds silly but inside were photos and descriptions written by May and Cathryn.  Going through it's pages opened up something in my heart. I never knew my Great Grandmother but by the stories my Gram told me. Now my home is littered with love with remnants of my family's past .I've added to the scrapbook as there were still several blank pages available to do so. I cherish this these stories and scrapbook because it gives me a tie to my Grandmother Linda and Great Grandmother Cathryn. All my life I've wondered where my green eyes came from and why I am the only one who has them. Great Gram Cathryn had them . She also had their fair complexion whereas my Gram inherited her father's French Canadian/ Indian roots . I know this could be a futile search and I could be spending my life's time doing so. I need to know if there are still living descendants of the Norton side. I need answers to the questions I have and am praying daily for them.  I am a very sentimental woman with strong pull to family. I know in my heart that somewhere out there is someone who can help me locate living family and help piece together the missing gaps in the memoir I am writing for my daughter.
~Britt Haas

Posted Sun 1 Jan 2017 3:56 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Inactive User (22.6K reputation)Inactive User (22.6K reputation)Inactive User (22.6K reputation)Inactive User (22.6K reputation)Inactive User (22.6K reputation)Inactive User (22.6K reputation)Inactive User (22.6K reputation)Inactive User (22.6K reputation)Inactive User (22.6K reputation)

Hello Britt, 

Family research can be incredibly rewarding and exciting! :) How special that your Gram left such special mementos for you to pass down to your daughter! 

It's important to note that civil registration as we know it today (birth, marriage and death certificates for example) were not introduced in Ireland until 1864. Before then, all records kept were in the form of church and parish records such as baptismal, marriage and burial certificates. Many records from before that time have regrettably been lost over the years to things such as fire and human error, but any remaining records from that time have now been stored with the appropriate genealogical center in each County. 

Now, to access this information you will need to prove your familial connection since the records are not generally open to the public in an effort of preservation. You would prove this by gathering as many birth, marriage and death certificates as you can to establish a solid paper trail. The way to start this is by gathering as many documents as you can from your local registry office and archives, starting with your own birth certificate and then adding those of your parents, four grandparents, eight great-grandparents etc. until you come across your first ancestors who were born in Ireland, like Ellen and Miles Norton.  Once you know when and where in Ireland your first emigrating ancestors were born, you will be able to select the appropriate genealogical center

There is a great Genealogy and Ancestry page on our website with some great links and information on how to get started with your research. You could also consider contacting our friends over at Ireland Family History, who run an advisory Facebook Page, and Ireland Reaching Out, a volunteer group specialized in reconnecting the descendants of Irish emigrants to their roots.  

I hope that this information has been helpful to you.

Lauren

Posted Mon 2 Jan 2017 2:26 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (34.1K reputation)Industry Member (34.1K reputation)Industry Member (34.1K reputation)Industry Member (34.1K reputation)Industry Member (34.1K reputation)Industry Member (34.1K reputation)Industry Member (34.1K reputation)Industry Member (34.1K reputation)Industry Member (34.1K reputation)
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Yesterday @ 8:02 PM Visits: 1.1K
Hi Britt

I know that many emigrants from Ireland and in particular from Cork and from northwest counties of Derry, Donegal and Tyrone entered North America through Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada in 1847.

It so happens that we in Derry Genealogy transcribed and indexed the names and address of 22,000 emigrants from northwest Ireland who emigrated to North America between 1847 and 1867 on the ships of J & J Cooke, timber and emigration merchants of Londonderry, Northern Ireland and they were published by Genealogical Publishing Company (Baltimore, USA) as 'Irish Passenger Lists 1847-1871'. I checked this book and it records that a Catherine Norton of Manorcunningahm sailed on ship Portland from Londonderry to Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada in 1847! Manorcunningam is located in County Donegal, 12 miles southwest of city of Derry (also known as Londonderry).

Interestingly Professor Peter Toner's index to 1851 census of New Brunswick records two Norton households in that Canadian province in 1851; namely Thomas (age 60, emigrated 1820) and Alice (age 40, emigrated 1837) Norton in Chatham; and Michael (age 27, emigrated 1846) and Mary (age 24, emigrated 1846) Norton in Saint John itself. 

It is estimated that in the first half of the 19th century, some 80% of passengers who sailed to North America from Irish ports landed in Canada (as this was the cheapest passage) though half that total then went on to the US.

Posted Mon 2 Jan 2017 8:54 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Hi Britt, don't know if  this is the same family but there is a Miles Norton born Ireland baptised St Mary's cathedral Dublin on 29th Feb 1836 His wife is Ellen Norton nee Carr born 8th June 1937 Ireland  He died in Moriah Essex  New York in 1894. They had the following children Michael C 1857- 1925 born Vermont. Bernard J 1859-1932 Margaret A 1861 Miles Jnr 1863 Katie 1869 Mary 1875.  I found the info on Ancestry hope it is of use to you. 

Regards 
carol Boult
Posted Tue 17 Jan 2017 11:39 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (34.1K reputation)Industry Member (34.1K reputation)Industry Member (34.1K reputation)Industry Member (34.1K reputation)Industry Member (34.1K reputation)Industry Member (34.1K reputation)Industry Member (34.1K reputation)Industry Member (34.1K reputation)Industry Member (34.1K reputation)
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Yesterday @ 8:02 PM Visits: 1.1K
Carol's information is very interesting.

A great website for checking Dublin church registers, for free, is http://www.irishgenealogy.ie.

For example, it records the following baptismal entry of a Miles Norton in St Catherine RC, Dublin city:
Baptised: 3 March 1843 - Miles Norton of James and Catherine. Sponsor Mary Collins

Posted Wed 18 Jan 2017 12:07 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (105 reputation)Gaining Respect (105 reputation)Gaining Respect (105 reputation)Gaining Respect (105 reputation)Gaining Respect (105 reputation)Gaining Respect (105 reputation)Gaining Respect (105 reputation)Gaining Respect (105 reputation)Gaining Respect (105 reputation)
Canada
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 13 Dec 2019 4:13 PM Visits: 14
Hello Britt

There's a Canadian based website which may help you with the Canada connection for your search. The webmaster has done a ton of research on immigration from Ireland to Canada and even the US, especially to the Ottawa area. It's www.bytown.net
Posted Sat 7 Dec 2019 2:14 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (29.5K reputation)Community Expert (29.5K reputation)Community Expert (29.5K reputation)Community Expert (29.5K reputation)Community Expert (29.5K reputation)Community Expert (29.5K reputation)Community Expert (29.5K reputation)Community Expert (29.5K reputation)Community Expert (29.5K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 4:42 PM Visits: 4.7K
Thanks, Nohra.
We hope this will help Britt with her research.

Did you also look into your ancestors, Nohra?
Posted Mon 9 Dec 2019 10:50 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (105 reputation)Gaining Respect (105 reputation)Gaining Respect (105 reputation)Gaining Respect (105 reputation)Gaining Respect (105 reputation)Gaining Respect (105 reputation)Gaining Respect (105 reputation)Gaining Respect (105 reputation)Gaining Respect (105 reputation)
Canada
My brother has done a lot of research on our ancestors, especially on our dad's side. Our family name is Collins, so there's no shortage of them. My mother was an O'Meara.
Posted Mon 9 Dec 2019 1:49 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (35.5K reputation)Community Expert (35.5K reputation)Community Expert (35.5K reputation)Community Expert (35.5K reputation)Community Expert (35.5K reputation)Community Expert (35.5K reputation)Community Expert (35.5K reputation)Community Expert (35.5K reputation)Community Expert (35.5K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 3:33 PM Visits: 6.7K
That's amazing news, Norah! It's wonderful that your brother has done so much research, and that you now know more about your Irish roots. :)

How far back have you been able to trace your ancestry, and is there still any information you're on the lookout for?
Posted Tue 10 Dec 2019 11:09 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Canada
My brother has been able to trace our Collins ancestors to our great grandfather, Timothy Collins, b. 1791, d. 1873, who emigrated with his brother Patrick (1785-1867) from Timoleague to the Ottawa area of Canada about 1828. He has never been able to find the brothers' parents' names.
Posted Wed 11 Dec 2019 6:40 PM
Question