This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Over 75s renting a car

Over 75s renting a car

Author
Forum Expert
Forum Expert (771 reputation)
Great Britain
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 17 Feb 2017 1:44 PM Visits: 5
Does anyone know can you rent a car in Ireland if you are over 75?
Paul, UK
Posted Fri 17 Feb 2017 8:50 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (4.9K reputation)Industry Member (4.9K reputation)Industry Member (4.9K reputation)Industry Member (4.9K reputation)Industry Member (4.9K reputation)Industry Member (4.9K reputation)Industry Member (4.9K reputation)Industry Member (4.9K reputation)Industry Member (4.9K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Mon 14 Jan 2019 9:57 AM Visits: 138
Hi Paul,

I understand you would like to know if a 75 year old can rent a car in Ireland. Well, I am not sure about all car rental companies but with Car Rental Ireland you could.
 However, the policy is that: 
if drivers are aged 75 and over will need to provide a printed medical certificate which states that they are fit to drive and a letter from their insurance company stating that they are currently driving and have not had an accident within the last 5 years. This information must be received at least 5 working days in advance of your rental.

I hope this information is helpful.

Regards
Tai

Posted Fri 17 Feb 2017 9:51 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Thu 4 Jul 2019 1:12 PM Visits: 816
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for reaching out to us to assist you with this query.

As Car Rental Ireland has kindly suggested, this may likely differ depending on the rental company that is used.  They may have their own restrictions or policies in place or may require specific documentation and it would be advised to reach out to a number of car rental companies to query this with them directly.  

I would also like to provide you with a few other rental companies that you could reach out to here in Ireland to follow up on this query. Feel free to reach out to Europcar, Avis or Budget to name a few. You can find their direct contact information by clicking on the links provided.

Furthermore, hopefully, some of our other community members will also be able to provide some helpful information to assist you along the way.  

Lastly, we have a couple of similar posts here on the Community that you may wish to take a look at:

Car Rental in Ireland
Restrictions for seniors renting cars

I hope this helps!

Regards,

Colin

Posted Fri 17 Feb 2017 10:44 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Mon 15 Apr 2019 12:23 PM Visits: 70
Hi Paul,

Great question! Basically, there are no age limits in Ireland, however drivers over 75 can be asked to meet additional requirements. All the different companies will have different requirements.  

With Europcar, we ask drivers over 75 to provide a medical certificate which states they are fit to drive. We also look from a letter from your car insurance  provider, confirming you are currently driving and have not had an accident within the last 5 years. 

You can see the Europcar Terms & Conditions here. 

If I can answer any more questions on car rental in Ireland, please do not hesitate to ask!

Ronan 

Posted Fri 17 Feb 2017 11:20 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Forum Expert
Forum Expert (771 reputation)
Great Britain
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 17 Feb 2017 1:44 PM Visits: 5
Thanks Tai and Ronan,

Maybe it's different in the UK, where I live, but there is no such thing as a medical assessment certifying fitness to drive.  We British have drivers licences to ascertain and certify that.  They are renewed at the age of 70 and from then on every 3 years, so a 75-year-old will have been assessed fit to drive just two years previously.  Can a UK drivers licence be used in lieu of other certification of fitness to drive in Ireland?

Regarding insurance companies, they are not usually so accommodating to write personalised letters for customers: many don't even have a contact centre except for accidents, and all admin is done online.  Also, they wouldn't know if an insured customer actually drives except it is probably inferred by the fact that they are paying for insurance.  However, they do confirm in writing duration of no claims once a year.  Can this letter and an insurance certificate be used instead to confirm that one drives and had no recent accidents?

Paul.

Posted Fri 17 Feb 2017 11:51 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Mon 15 Apr 2019 12:23 PM Visits: 70
Hi Paul,

A medical certificate could be obtained from your GP. Regarding the letter from your insurance company - this is similar to getting your insurance company to confirm your no claims bonus. 

We have many UK customers fulfilling these requirements. Let me know if I can be of any other assistance. 

Ronan 
Posted Fri 17 Feb 2017 1:27 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (158 reputation)Gaining Respect (158 reputation)Gaining Respect (158 reputation)Gaining Respect (158 reputation)Gaining Respect (158 reputation)Gaining Respect (158 reputation)Gaining Respect (158 reputation)Gaining Respect (158 reputation)Gaining Respect (158 reputation)
Great Britain
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 6 Feb 2019 9:57 AM Visits: 7
Some companies indeed do require a medical certificate, others do not. The policies surrounding drivers over 70 differ in every country however we (https://indigocarhire.co.uk/senior-car-hire/) have managed to secure suppliers in Ireland who will hire up to 99 without a certificate, just a valid licence.
Posted Wed 23 Jan 2019 1:59 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)Junior Member (95 reputation)
Great Britain
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 10 Feb 2019 8:03 AM Visits: 2
Hey Rob,

That is me, one of the the people that have held senior drivers rent car in Ireland for the past 19 years, always a pleasure to be able to tell clients yes they can rent a car being over the age of 75 come to it over the age of 90 if they wish without restriction or the imposition of having to get medical evidence they are able to drive!

And yes for clarification I am a booking executive of Indigo Car Hire for clarity and am proud to help people discover all of the wonders that the Island or Ireland has to offer.

Happy travelling to all!
Posted Sun 10 Feb 2019 8:03 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)New Member (39 reputation)
Netherlands
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 19 Jul 2019 12:31 PM Visits: 14
Yes you can hire a car in both the Republic of Ireland & Northern Ireland up to 99 years of age with no additional  fees or medical certs required with  Airport Car Hire.com once you have a valid licence. Enjoy the trip
Posted Fri 12 Jul 2019 1:37 AM
Question