This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Finding living relatives in the Belfast area

Finding living relatives in the Belfast area

Author
I'm into this
I'm into this (390 reputation)I'm into this (390 reputation)I'm into this (390 reputation)I'm into this (390 reputation)I'm into this (390 reputation)I'm into this (390 reputation)I'm into this (390 reputation)I'm into this (390 reputation)I'm into this (390 reputation)
United States
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 27 Mar 2017 11:10 PM Visits: 7
Hi.  I'm trying to find any relatives I might have in N. Ireland.  My paternal grandfather grew up in Belfast and his brother, John McKeown, returned from the US to the Belfast area to live.  My grandfather communicated with John's granddaughter, Anne F. Davey, as late as the 1980s.  I have sent a letter to the last address he had for her, but the street, Sheriff St., does not appear on a Belfast map (at least not on a Google map) and I have not had a response.  Does anyone know if Sheriff St. existed or what happened to it?  Or any other way I can attempt to trace Anne Davey?  I have tried Facebook, but the results are for much younger women.  We also know the family attended St. Matthews Roman Catholic Church in Ballymacarrett in the late 1800s and early 1900s.

I will be in Belfast for a few days in late June and want to connect with any relatives.  Any assistance you can provide, including the names and contact info for people who help find relatives, would be greatly appreciated.

Joseph McKeown
Posted Mon 27 Mar 2017 7:02 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (42.7K reputation)Community Expert (42.7K reputation)Community Expert (42.7K reputation)Community Expert (42.7K reputation)Community Expert (42.7K reputation)Community Expert (42.7K reputation)Community Expert (42.7K reputation)Community Expert (42.7K reputation)Community Expert (42.7K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 3 hours ago Visits: 3.4K
Hi Joseph,

Welcome to the community!

It's great to hear that you are planning to come over in June and would like to meet up with some of your relatives.

Sheriff Street did indeed exist but it has been demolished some years ago. I have a link to the Belfast Forum, that has some interesting information. Please take a look and see if it helps you further your research.

There is another community post regarding tracing family in Northern Ireland. have a look at the link for some additional resources.

I'm sure our other members may be able to assist you too and welcome them to chip in with some helpful advice.

Best of luck

Martin
Posted Mon 27 Mar 2017 10:16 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (28.4K reputation)Industry Member (28.4K reputation)Industry Member (28.4K reputation)Industry Member (28.4K reputation)Industry Member (28.4K reputation)Industry Member (28.4K reputation)Industry Member (28.4K reputation)Industry Member (28.4K reputation)Industry Member (28.4K reputation)
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Fri 19 Jul 2019 4:14 PM Visits: 937
Hi Joseph

In 1984 street map of Belfast, Sheriff Street ran off Mountpottinger Road towards Newtownards Road, close to Short Strand.
Posted Tue 28 Mar 2017 12:06 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (7.4K reputation)Industry Member (7.4K reputation)Industry Member (7.4K reputation)Industry Member (7.4K reputation)Industry Member (7.4K reputation)Industry Member (7.4K reputation)Industry Member (7.4K reputation)Industry Member (7.4K reputation)Industry Member (7.4K reputation)
Ireland - Portland, Oregon
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 2 Aug 2018 4:09 PM Visits: 144
Hi Joseph,

You should also try the Ireland Reaching out website and post there for living relatives. www.irelandxo.com   This is a good forum, and also if you have an Ancestry.com membership, you could post there or perhaps find someone else tracing the same family.  I'm happy to give you more guidance and direction via my email @ info@timetraveltours.com   Feel free to reach out and I'm happy to help for free. 

The other thing you could do is go to PRONI (public records office of Northern Ireland) now easily accessible by researchers on a day basis and it is located in the Titanic Quarter. Parking is ample and the only ATM in the area is located directly at the arena where you park in case you need money for parking or printed records.  It doesn't cost anything to join and there are lockers located within PRONI to store your things while you do research. 

I hope this gives a little help. 

Best wishes,
Ginger 
Posted Tue 28 Mar 2017 1:13 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (20K reputation)Industry Member (20K reputation)Industry Member (20K reputation)Industry Member (20K reputation)Industry Member (20K reputation)Industry Member (20K reputation)Industry Member (20K reputation)Industry Member (20K reputation)Industry Member (20K reputation)
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 21 May 2019 1:22 PM Visits: 981
Hi Joseph,

Welcome to the forum.  There are a number of agencies in Belfast / Northern Ireland who may be able to assist you with your ancestry search. 

Family Ulster
24 Moyne Park
Belfast
BT5 7QT
Tel: 028 9079 8551
www.familyulster.com

General Register Office of Northern Ireland
NISRA
Colby House
Stranmillis Court
Belfast
BT9 5RR
Phone: 0300 200 7890 (028 9151 3101 if calling from outside Northern Ireland)
www.nidirect.gov.uk/gro

Land and Property Services Northern Ireland
1st Floor, Lincoln Building
27-45 Great Victoria Street
Malone Lower
Belfast
BT2 7SL
Tel: 028 9049 5827
www.lpsni.gov.uk

Public Record Office of Northern Ireland
2 Titanic Boulevard
Titanic Quarter
Belfast
BT3 9HQ
Tel: 028 9053 4800
www.proni.gov.uk

Ulster Historical Foundation
The Corn Exchange,
31 Gordon Street,
BT1 2LG
Tel: 028 9066 1988
www.ancestryireland.com

Hopefully they will be able to help you get some more information to find your family roots.

Visit Belfast

Posted Tue 28 Mar 2017 1:29 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (129 reputation)Gaining Respect (129 reputation)Gaining Respect (129 reputation)Gaining Respect (129 reputation)Gaining Respect (129 reputation)Gaining Respect (129 reputation)Gaining Respect (129 reputation)Gaining Respect (129 reputation)Gaining Respect (129 reputation)
United States
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 15 Sep 2018 11:42 PM Visits: 8
Looking for relatives in Belfast. My grandfather was George Clare, born to James Clare and Caroline Carins. He was born Sept 1 1889. He had 10 brothers and sisters. My great grandfather, Jame's father, was William Clare married to Mary McGowan. James Clare lived on Coniston St Atrium No. Ireland. 
Caroline Carins' father was Andrew Carins, married a Jane Glenn.
Want to know if any of the 10 children married and had kids and are there relatives still there or here in the USA.
I recently got my Irish Citizenship and want to meet my family and know if they have any pictures of my great grandparents and others. 

Thanks 

Linda Clare

Posted Mon 28 May 2018 1:22 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (19.5K reputation)Community Expert (19.5K reputation)Community Expert (19.5K reputation)Community Expert (19.5K reputation)Community Expert (19.5K reputation)Community Expert (19.5K reputation)Community Expert (19.5K reputation)Community Expert (19.5K reputation)Community Expert (19.5K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 7 minutes ago Visits: 5.3K
Hi Linda,

So happy to read that you've received your Irish citizenship! :) It would be absolutely wonderful if you were able to find out more about your living Irish relatives on the Emerald Isle. 

There are already a lot of helpful answers in this thread, but please feel free to post your own thread so our Community experts can take a look at your question. You can post a thread by clicking on 'start a conversation' in the upper right corner of the Community Homepage, and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any questions! 
Posted Mon 28 May 2018 9:16 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (2.7K reputation)Industry Member (2.7K reputation)Industry Member (2.7K reputation)Industry Member (2.7K reputation)Industry Member (2.7K reputation)Industry Member (2.7K reputation)Industry Member (2.7K reputation)Industry Member (2.7K reputation)Industry Member (2.7K reputation)
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Fri 19 Jul 2019 3:30 PM Visits: 108
Hi Linda, that is wonderful that you know so much about George's family and that you have been able to obtain your Irish citizenship! :-) 

You may find records relating to your family on www.rootsireland.ie

We offer a range of research services and would be delighted to carry out research into George's siblings. You can find out more about our services here: www.ancestryireland.com/research-services/

Best wishes, 

Gillian
Research Officer
Ulster Historical Foundation
Posted Mon 11 Jun 2018 10:30 AM
Question