This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Hurling and Gaelic Football

Hurling and Gaelic Football

Author
I'm hooked
I'm hooked (506 reputation)I'm hooked (506 reputation)I'm hooked (506 reputation)I'm hooked (506 reputation)I'm hooked (506 reputation)I'm hooked (506 reputation)I'm hooked (506 reputation)I'm hooked (506 reputation)I'm hooked (506 reputation)
Norway
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 31 Mar 2017 1:33 PM Visits: 1
Hello

I'm traveling to Dublin from May 30th until June 4th. And during my stay i'm hoping to catch a Hurling or Gaelic football match. 
But since im not familiar with, well, anything in Ireland, i'm clueless as to how i go about finding fixtures and/or getting a ticket or anything.

So... i was sort of hoping someone could help point me in the right direction..

-Kristian Enersen
Posted Fri 31 Mar 2017 1:37 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Thu 4 Jul 2019 2:12 PM Visits: 816
Hi, Kristian!  

Thanks for joining us here on the Community!  

It's very exciting to hear that you'll be visiting Dublin very soon!  A great place to browse for match fixtures and to obtain tickets would be on the official GAA website, which you can locate here.

I hope this helps and should you have any additional questions about visiting Ireland, I would be more than happy to help you along the way!

All the best,

Colin
Tags
Posted Fri 31 Mar 2017 1:52 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 10 May 2018 12:06 PM Visits: 222
Hi Kristian,

Finding exact information on GAA fixtures at this time of year can be really difficult even for people living in Ireland so you're definitely not clueless. There's some good and bad news though.

For the weekend that you're in Dublin, there are no fixtures set for Croke Park which is the main (73,500 capacity) stadium in Dublin. There is however, one Gaelic football match provisionally set for Parnell Park which is the smaller (13,500 capacity) stadium on June 3rd. 

You can see the exact fixtures here. It shows that Meath vs Louth is set for Parnell Park on that date but only if Louth win against Wicklow on May 21st. In other words, you won't know for certain if there is a match taking place in Dublin until May 21st. Once the fixtures are confirmed, you can then buy tickets through this website.

Apologies if that's all a bit complicated but please let me know if you have any other questions.

I'd be delighted to help in any way I can,
Gary Reilly
yourwayireland.com
Posted Fri 31 Mar 2017 4:33 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Prestige User
Prestige User (4.6K reputation)Prestige User (4.6K reputation)Prestige User (4.6K reputation)Prestige User (4.6K reputation)Prestige User (4.6K reputation)Prestige User (4.6K reputation)Prestige User (4.6K reputation)Prestige User (4.6K reputation)Prestige User (4.6K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 13 Apr 2017 6:55 PM Visits: 118
Hi Kristian

Given that you're in Dublin, it's worth also looking at the Dublin GAA website for the Dublin County. http://www.dublingaa.ie/

I can see there is a Dublin vs Galway fixture on May 28th which is 'SHC' the Senior Hurling Championship - it's the elite competition each year. I don't see anything for the following week in Dublin. 

I've also looked at the GAA Master Fixture List for 2017 Master Fixture List but there doesn't seem to be much on that week. See P6 on the schedule (Bealtaine is May, Meitheamh is June)

There is an Under 17 tournament on Wednesday May 31st but I don't know where the matches are being held. I've called the contact in the GAA and asked her to email me. If she gets back I'll post it here. http://www.gaa.ie/celticchallenge/

For GAA I'd also recommend visiting Croke Park which is the GAA headquarters and the stadium where the finals are held each year. They have a very good museum covering the history of the games and the organisation https://crokepark.ie/

Also if you want to get stuck in and try some Gaelic Games you could try 'Experience Gaelic Games' while in Dublin. It's a fun day to try it all out. http://www.experiencegaelicgames.com/who-is-it-for/ 

All the best,

Brian

--
Quick update. I got email back from Caoimhe in the GAA about the 'Celtic Challenge' tournament:

In relation to the Celtic Challenge the following fixtures may be suitable for your client on the 31st May:
Unfortunately, we have no games scheduled for Dublin on that date. All games commence at 7.30pm. 

Posted Fri 31 Mar 2017 4:34 PM
Question