This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

VW Campervan and driving in Ireland

VW Campervan and driving in Ireland

Author
Forum Expert
Forum Expert (951 reputation)
Canada
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 3 Apr 2017 1:36 AM Visits: 7
Hi,

My girlfriend and I are travelling from Canada in July. We thought it would be fun to rent a campervan, but have a few questions about the whole experience.

First off, we would like to rent a VW campervan. Since we're arriving in Dublin on a Monday and leaving early on a Wednesday morning, the only option we've found for renting for nine days seems to be West Coast Campervans (all other companies that we have found near Dublin have fixed rental periods). Has anyone had experience with them? Sadly, online reviews are virtually inexistent for them : would we be making a good choice?

Second, is it easy to get to various tourist destinations with such a van? Will parking be an issue?

Third, should I be worried about theft and damage to the vehicle since we're obviously going to look like tourists?

Fourth, what would our overnight parking options be? It's not quite a tent, so I'm unsure about campgrounds, but I want to stay as close to nature as possible.

Thanks in advance for your valuable help.
Cheers,
Marc

Posted Sat 1 Apr 2017 5:24 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (49.4K reputation)Community Expert (49.4K reputation)Community Expert (49.4K reputation)Community Expert (49.4K reputation)Community Expert (49.4K reputation)Community Expert (49.4K reputation)Community Expert (49.4K reputation)Community Expert (49.4K reputation)Community Expert (49.4K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 11:14 AM Visits: 3.8K
Hi Marc,

Welcome to the community!

What a wonderful way to experience all that Ireland has to offer. I have no personal experience of West Coast Campervans, so I will leave that to our fellow members for their opinions. I have found a link on our website to Camper vans, have a look and see if any of these are useful too.

There are a lot of people these days doing exactly the same as ourselves and using campervans and motorhomes to get about. You certainly won't look out of place on the roads. Most towns have parking areas that will take the sort of vehicle you are thinking of and even larger.

There are several community posts already on the same subject, take a look and pick up some extra tips and hints.

Campervans and RV's
5 Must see camping sites
Motorhome Wild camping
Caravan sites along the wild Atlantic way

A particular favorite route for touring is the Wild Atlantic Way, a beautiful drive from the South coast all the way along the west side of Ireland to the most northerly point. There are plenty of places that you will want to stop and enjoy your evening.

Have a wonderful trip and be sure to let us know how you got on.

Best wishes

Martin

Posted Sat 1 Apr 2017 9:20 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Forum Expert
Forum Expert (951 reputation)
Canada
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 3 Apr 2017 1:36 AM Visits: 7
Hi Martin,

Thanks for the reply! The links were very helpful and we were already planning an itinerary similar to the Wild Atlantic Way, but with some differences. I'm getting very excited for my stay in Ireland.

Do you know of anywhere else I might get some information on the rental company?

Thanks,
Marc
Posted Mon 3 Apr 2017 1:39 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (2.5K reputation)Community Expert (2.5K reputation)Community Expert (2.5K reputation)Community Expert (2.5K reputation)Community Expert (2.5K reputation)Community Expert (2.5K reputation)Community Expert (2.5K reputation)Community Expert (2.5K reputation)Community Expert (2.5K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 6 Nov 2019 8:48 PM Visits: 276
Hi Marc,

As far as further information on West Coast Campervans goes, have you had a look at their Facebook.

Hope this helps! And be sure to tell us how you get on!

Best,

Neil

Posted Mon 3 Apr 2017 11:07 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (4.4K reputation)Industry Member (4.4K reputation)Industry Member (4.4K reputation)Industry Member (4.4K reputation)Industry Member (4.4K reputation)Industry Member (4.4K reputation)Industry Member (4.4K reputation)Industry Member (4.4K reputation)Industry Member (4.4K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 4 Jun 2019 9:09 PM Visits: 158
Hi Marc,

Welcome to the community. It is great to hear that you are considering camper hire as a means for exploring our beautiful country. If you have not already found a supplier we would LOVE to facilitate you holiday. Our company Lazy Days VW Camper Hire is only a stones throw from Dublin in County Wicklow, the garden of Ireland. Reaching us from Dublin is easy with a number of transport links available. We can also organise direct connections from Dublin Airport. Our collection and return days and times are externally flexible, so a Monday to Wednesday hire is absolutely no problem.

Lazy Days campers have heaps of character, each individually designed for touring in style and comfort. The small size of our campers makes them easy to drive, ideal for negotiating Ireland’s typically small roads, towns & villages. Lazy Days campers are the perfect passport to get off the beaten track, meet local people and take full advantage of Ireland’s relaxed approach to camping.

If you need a little help planning your route the team at Lazy Days are happy help you plan a truly unique and adventurous holiday.  We have lots of trip ideas, recommended routes, destinations, and campsites to share with you.  We are only a phone call or email away and are happy to help you throughout your booking and holiday experience.

Access to any tourist destination in Ireland is guaranteed with a Lazy Days camper and parking will never be an issue due to their compact size. Our vehicles are not branded and so far on 10 years of hiring campers we have never had an issue with break-ins.

Ireland boasts a great network of campsites. We would be happy to provide you with a list of recommended campsites. Alternatively you can refer to the Camping Ireland or The Green Guide websites. Camping fees vary from €15 - €30 /night but average at €25/night. Wild camping is also possible and we have a great repertoire of beautiful spots we can share with you.

Just contact Sue on + 353 87 2885771 / sue@lazydays.ie or visit www.lazydays.ie for more information.

Happy planning,
Sue

Posted Mon 3 Apr 2017 11:37 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (20.2K reputation)Industry Member (20.2K reputation)Industry Member (20.2K reputation)Industry Member (20.2K reputation)Industry Member (20.2K reputation)Industry Member (20.2K reputation)Industry Member (20.2K reputation)Industry Member (20.2K reputation)Industry Member (20.2K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 17 Jul 2019 10:52 AM Visits: 272
Dear Marc,
Sounds like a great idea!
Why not go car free and be care free and book a tour with us at Railtours Ireland First Class.
We have one to nine day tours visiting different places all around Ireland!
You can view our tours on our website here: https://railtoursireland.com/
If you have any queries about our tours please do not hesitate in contacting us at info@railtoursireland.com.
Have a great day!:)
Kind Regards,
Ericka

Posted Mon 3 Apr 2017 12:49 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (20.6K reputation)Industry Member (20.6K reputation)Industry Member (20.6K reputation)Industry Member (20.6K reputation)Industry Member (20.6K reputation)Industry Member (20.6K reputation)Industry Member (20.6K reputation)Industry Member (20.6K reputation)Industry Member (20.6K reputation)
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Yesterday @ 4:02 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hi Marc,

I just wanted to let you know about a company called Causeway Campers that is situated in Portrush, a seaside town in the Causeway Coast and Glens region, just east of the northern section of the Wild Atlantic Way.  They rent out a good range of VW Campervans and Motorhome vehicles and these can be picked up from eight pick-up points throughout Ireland, including Dublin Airport.  I spoke to the owner and he would be happy to have the van of your choice delivered to you and also collected from your desired location at the end of your trip round Ireland.  If you would like to find out more about their product, they have a very informative web site: www.causewaycampers.com 

Kind Regards,
Anne

Coleraine Visitor Information Centre

Posted Mon 3 Apr 2017 2:59 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (21.5K reputation)Industry Member (21.5K reputation)Industry Member (21.5K reputation)Industry Member (21.5K reputation)Industry Member (21.5K reputation)Industry Member (21.5K reputation)Industry Member (21.5K reputation)Industry Member (21.5K reputation)Industry Member (21.5K reputation)
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Mon 28 Oct 2019 10:42 AM Visits: 1K
Hi Marc,
sounds really great, your plan to tour around Ireland in a VW Campervan!
It would be phantastic to welcome you to Belfast and/or other fascinating places in Northern Ireland.
You can find a list of campsites in Northern Ireland here Caravanning and Camping in Northern Ireland .
We recommend to check out our website where you can find information about things to see and do in Belfast ( e.g. visit the world famous Titanic Experience ) here Information about Belfast
Information about things to see and do in Northern Ireland ( e.g. visit the world famous Giants Causeway ) you can find here Information about Northern Ireland .
All the best, take care.
Your Visit Belfast Welcome Centre Team

Posted Mon 3 Apr 2017 3:33 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (2.1K reputation)Industry Member (2.1K reputation)Industry Member (2.1K reputation)Industry Member (2.1K reputation)Industry Member (2.1K reputation)Industry Member (2.1K reputation)Industry Member (2.1K reputation)Industry Member (2.1K reputation)Industry Member (2.1K reputation)
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 18 Apr 2018 5:56 PM Visits: 25
Hi Marc

We have a caravan park just 2.5 miles from the Giant's Causeway.  If you fancy a couple of days not driving, we are also have the Causeway Rambler bus calling at the park.  It runs 8 times a day to the Giant's Causeway and Carrick-a-rede rope bridge and also 8 times a day going to Portrush and Coleraine.  It is a great way to see the major attractions on the Causeway Coastal Route without driving.

During August you would need to make a booking in advance which you can do by phoning +44 28 2073 2393. 

Many thanks and hope you have a great holiday in Ireland

Olive

Posted Mon 3 Apr 2017 3:46 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (8.3K reputation)Industry Member (8.3K reputation)Industry Member (8.3K reputation)Industry Member (8.3K reputation)Industry Member (8.3K reputation)Industry Member (8.3K reputation)Industry Member (8.3K reputation)Industry Member (8.3K reputation)Industry Member (8.3K reputation)
Ireland - Portland, Oregon
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 21 Aug 2019 11:24 AM Visits: 169
Hi! I can recommend Lazy Days VW Camper Hire and would add that if you need off the beaten track I'm happy to assist with information on the Wild Atlantic Way or any other part of Ireland, really, that is off beaten track.  My groups are small and I've driven a lot of areas doing genealogy research for the past 18 years, so am happy to give a few suggestions when you have your bucket list organized!  You can also find itineraries for good food as well on the Good Food Ireland website @ www.goodfoodireland.ie  

Happy Camping! 
Ginger
Posted Wed 5 Apr 2017 11:17 AM
Question