This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Walking Coast-to-Coast Across Ireland

Walking Coast-to-Coast Across Ireland

Author
Posted Wed 12 Apr 2017 9:21 PM
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 4 Sep 2019 8:42 AM Visits: 0
In June 2017, I will be coming to Ireland to walk coast-to-coast across this beautiful country. However, I am having difficulty finding a premier guide book with route maps, distances and accommodations (no camping).

Can someone please make a suggestion or offer counsel?

With gratitude...

Shawn

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 13 Apr 2017 1:21 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (47K reputation)Community Expert (47K reputation)Community Expert (47K reputation)Community Expert (47K reputation)Community Expert (47K reputation)Community Expert (47K reputation)Community Expert (47K reputation)Community Expert (47K reputation)Community Expert (47K reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 20
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Thu 4 Jul 2019 2:12 PM Visits: 816
Hi Shawn,

Thanks so much for joining us here on the Community!

What an adventure this will be and certainly a fantastic way to explore some of the beauty that Ireland has to offer.  I'm not too sure of a guide book that is available, although some of our community members may have some helpful suggestions in that regard.  

Although, I would like to suggest having a browse at the Irish Trails website.  They have a great tool on their website that allows you to locate suitable trails throughout Ireland, with information such as difficulty, duration, distance, etc.  They also have a very handy mobile phone app that indicates nearby attractions during your trail.  You can also find some helpful downloadable publications on their website that you may find useful in assisting with your plans, here.

I hope this helps a little bit more with regards to your question and I am sure that other members will have some information to share.  Be sure to let us know how your coast-to-coast adventure goes!

All the best,

Colin
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 13 Apr 2017 3:57 PM
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)
Dear Colin...

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your insight and offer such valuable tips. Your Irish hospitality is shining brightly all the way to California, U.S.A.!!

YOU are an "A+" gentleman.

With gratitude and appreciation...

Shawn

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 13 Apr 2017 6:08 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (10.1K reputation)Industry Member (10.1K reputation)Industry Member (10.1K reputation)Industry Member (10.1K reputation)Industry Member (10.1K reputation)Industry Member (10.1K reputation)Industry Member (10.1K reputation)Industry Member (10.1K reputation)Industry Member (10.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 16
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Sun 22 Mar 2020 9:55 AM Visits: 305
Hello Shawn.

Colin has given you some good advice there.

Can I also suggest - your arrival Airport could be Shannon on the West Coast. From there rent a car - if you go South, you are heading for West Cork, "Sheep's Head", "Beara", "Ring of Kerry" and "Dingle" Peninsulas. Google these and you will get plenty of information on designated routes - maps - accommodations and all made every easy and user-friendly.

North of Shannon - go for the Clare Coast, Cliffs of Moher and the Burren walks. North of Galway "Westport" "Achill Island" and again North to "Donegal" -  Each of these areas North and South of Shannon has coastal walking routes and you could spend 3 to 4 days in each area. Google these destinations and you will get a menu of suggestions and activities to choose from.
Enjoy your visit and walk.
Conor
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 13 Apr 2017 6:50 PM
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Thank you so much, Conor. I am grateful for you "going the extra mile" and responding. One of my self-given rules when I walk across countries is that I do EVERYTHING with only my two feet. From the moment I set "foot" in Ireland, it's the goal to get from one of your beautiful coasts to the other just with my sneakers.
There is no better way, in my mind, to see a country and meet the people.
Thank you again for your guidance.
With gratitude...
Shawn

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 19 Apr 2017 3:46 PM
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Dear Shawn

You are set for an amazing adventure in Ireland. 

We would be absolutely delighted if you would consider spending some time in Donegal, there are many wonderful walks you could explore here. You can fly directly from America to Donegal Airport via Dublin and we can provide you with further details on request.

You might want to consider following the International Appalachian Trail .This Trail runs from west Donegal in the Republic of Ireland to Larne, Co. Antrim in Northern Ireland. The route starts at the spectacular Sliabh Liag sea cliffs - one of Donegal's Signature Points on the Wild Atlantic Way and continues through the Bluestack Mountains then crosses into Northern Ireland. Here it picks up the Ulster Way where it passes the Giant’s Causeway, the stunning northern coastline before traversing the Glens of Antrim.

Please feel free to contact us if you had any further questions.

Best wishes
Iga Lawne
Donegal Tourism Ltd
www.govisitdonegal.com
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 21 Apr 2017 7:21 PM
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Dear Iga...

Thank you soooo much for going the extra mile and sharing a couple of links shining a light on beautiful Donegal. You definitely do your job very well...and I appreciate your effort very, VERY much.

Thank you for your kindness.

Create a happy and relaxing weekend!

With gratitude...

Shawn

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 24 Apr 2017 10:36 AM
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Hi Shawn,

Sounds like a bit of a trek you have planned.
Regarding accommodation, we recommend our youth hostels as they are most often used by walkers, hikers and adventurous sorts. Many of our hostels are located along the walking trails and provide accessibility to some of the remotest places in Ireland.
We are part of the global brand Hostelling International and although each of our hostels are as diverse as the counties you will pass through, they must each reach a level of safety and cleanliness for travellers. Along with dorm rooms for budget travellers we also provide private rooms and accommodation in many of the hostels.
One thing is sure, you will be guaranteed to meet plenty of like-minded folk to share routes and tips with on your travels.
If you are going to Northern Ireland you should also check out Hostelling International Northern Ireland.
Hope that helps.

Roy

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 18 May 2017 2:38 PM
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Hi Shawn,

here are a few links to walking and accommodation in Northern Ireland.
There are some great coastal walking on the entire NI coastline. See some links below.
Hope your coast-to-coast trip goes well.

Thanks Brian
http://www.walkni.com/walks/186/causeway-coast-way/ this once is a linear coastal walk towards the Giant's Causeway, mostly off-road.
https://discovernorthernireland.com/things-to-do/activities/walking/walking/
http://www.walkni.com/walks/2/north-down-coastal-path/
http://www.outdoorni.com/blog/2015/03/12/beyond-the-giant-s-causeway-walking-the-causeway-coast-way/
http://www.walkni.com/http://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/Walking-A110

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 24 May 2017 5:20 PM
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Dear Brian...
Thank you very much for the courtesy of your reply and counsel.
YOU are awesome and appreciated.
Thank you for "going the extra mile."
With gratitude...
Shawn