This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Question: Using Bus Tours to add Flexibility

Question: Using Bus Tours to add Flexibility

Author
Forum Expert
Forum Expert (867 reputation)
Canada
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 20 Apr 2017 2:26 PM Visits: 12
Hello, since I've discovered that age-related surcharges make car rental uneconomic for me I'm looking at a way to add flexibility to a vacation in Ireland. My wife and I would like to visit both the majestic popular sights and lesser known jewels that pique our interest. I know we could use public transit and walking tours in the major cities but I'm wondering how best to get to other places.
I'd like your opinion on using a combination of bus tours - both day trips and longer - to access the Island and get from one area to another. For example, we could use a day trip out of Galway to access the Cliffs of Moher but how would we get from Galway to say Killarney then onward?
Major bus tours - selected in our home country (Canada) - can take us to all the "tourist" places but I'd also like to visit some locations that have a more personal link to my past or perhaps match more closely with our interests.
Any and all ideas are welcome.

Posted Mon 17 Apr 2017 4:32 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (49.5K reputation)Community Expert (49.5K reputation)Community Expert (49.5K reputation)Community Expert (49.5K reputation)Community Expert (49.5K reputation)Community Expert (49.5K reputation)Community Expert (49.5K reputation)Community Expert (49.5K reputation)Community Expert (49.5K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 6 hours ago Visits: 3.8K
Hello Ken,

Welcome to the community!

Great to hear that you are planning a visit soon and are interested in using some public transport to get around. Bus Eireann is the largest bus operator in the Republic, so is a definite place to start to look. There are other more local bus companies and I know of these two organizations, the 32ccgroup and The Coach Tourism & Transport Council of Ireland, who represent private bus/coach operators all over the country.

We also have a list of Irish based Tour Operators who, I'm sure would be able to either put together a package for you or certainly inform you of some excellent choices.

I will leave it to our fellow community members to add anything else that would be of interet and help.

Enjoy your stay,

Martin
Posted Mon 17 Apr 2017 6:16 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Forum Expert
Canada
Martin, thank you for the suggested links. I would never have known about those possibilities. I'll have a look at what's possible.

Posted Mon 17 Apr 2017 6:28 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (12.9K reputation)Industry Member (12.9K reputation)Industry Member (12.9K reputation)Industry Member (12.9K reputation)Industry Member (12.9K reputation)Industry Member (12.9K reputation)Industry Member (12.9K reputation)Industry Member (12.9K reputation)Industry Member (12.9K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Fri 10 May 2019 2:05 PM Visits: 174
Hi Ken,

I think you should get in touch with Railtours, they would be a great way to see the country and would give you the flexibility that you need. You can contact them at www.railtours.ie. I travelled with them last year and they are a great quality operator. Have a great time in Ireland and don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any further questions,

Sandra.
Posted Wed 19 Apr 2017 11:20 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (20.2K reputation)Industry Member (20.2K reputation)Industry Member (20.2K reputation)Industry Member (20.2K reputation)Industry Member (20.2K reputation)Industry Member (20.2K reputation)Industry Member (20.2K reputation)Industry Member (20.2K reputation)Industry Member (20.2K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 17 Jul 2019 10:52 AM Visits: 272
Hi Ken and thanks Sandra for your recommendation!
We would be delighted to welcome you on one of our tours.
Our tours are Car Free, Care free, we operate tours from Dublin to all over Ireland using a combination of Rail and Coach.  Our tours start from one day tours all the way up to nine day tours and everything in between.  Please have a look at our website www.railtoursireland.com for full listings of all our tours and special offers.  We have free upgrades for guests who book directly through our website and we also include a free Dublin City Hop On/Hop Off ticket per adult when booking one of our extended tours. If you have any questions or queries, please dont hesitate to contcat us.  You can email us directly at info@railtoursireland.com or by telephone at +353 1 856 0045, toll free from Canada at 1-877-451-4783. 
We look forward to hearing from you, Kind Regards, Jennifer

Posted Wed 19 Apr 2017 1:11 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Forum Expert
Canada
Thank you, Sandra and Railtours. I'll keep that option in mind.

Posted Wed 19 Apr 2017 1:37 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)Industry Member (2.2K reputation)
United States
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 31 Jul 2018 9:36 PM Visits: 46
Hello Ken,

You might find our Irish Rail & Chauffeur Tour of interest for your trip - its a great independent tour for those who do not want to drive but want to see the some of the most loved areas of Ireland. 
This is you own tour so you choose the dates ... the tour can also be customized to your requests.
Full Tour Details can be found here: http://www.special-ireland.com/deluxe-chauffeur-drive-ireland/irish-explorer/ 
Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further information you might need: mary.oregan@special-ireland.com or 1-800-66-IRISH. 
Best regards,
Mary O'Regan, Specialized Travel Services. 
Posted Wed 19 Apr 2017 3:50 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)Industry Member (5.2K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Mon 26 Feb 2018 1:01 PM Visits: 78
Enjoy!
fun times ahead :-)
Posted Thu 20 Apr 2017 11:32 AM
Question