This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Birth certiciate

Birth certiciate

Author
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (1.4K reputation)Forum Guru (1.4K reputation)Forum Guru (1.4K reputation)Forum Guru (1.4K reputation)Forum Guru (1.4K reputation)Forum Guru (1.4K reputation)Forum Guru (1.4K reputation)Forum Guru (1.4K reputation)Forum Guru (1.4K reputation)
Great Britain
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2017 6:27 PM Visits: 57
Hi,

I'm trying to get a copy of my mother's birth certificate. i did think I had the original but looks like I was wrong! To get a copy I need my mother's mothers maiden name?

My mother Philomena Quigley, date of birth 30/04/1929,born in Scarriff lived in Tuamgraney as far as I can remember. Her parents John & Mary Margaret Quigley. As I don't know their dates of birth any how I trace them please. I also have a subscription to FindMyPast.

Thanks
Posted Mon 17 Apr 2017 4:10 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (47.4K reputation)Community Expert (47.4K reputation)Community Expert (47.4K reputation)Community Expert (47.4K reputation)Community Expert (47.4K reputation)Community Expert (47.4K reputation)Community Expert (47.4K reputation)Community Expert (47.4K reputation)Community Expert (47.4K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 7:18 AM Visits: 3.6K
Hello David,

Welcome to the community!

Tracing your family tree can be difficult but also very rewarding. There are several community posts already regarding getting information and birth certificates:

Tracing your Irish Ancestors: A Three-step Guide
Looking for Birth, Marriage & Death Certificates
Ireland Family History
Helpful Research Tips

Have a look through these links and see if they can suggest the route for you to take.

I'm sure our community members will also have some hints and tips for you to follow.

Best of luck,

Martin

Posted Mon 17 Apr 2017 5:27 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (1.4K reputation)Forum Guru (1.4K reputation)Forum Guru (1.4K reputation)Forum Guru (1.4K reputation)Forum Guru (1.4K reputation)Forum Guru (1.4K reputation)Forum Guru (1.4K reputation)Forum Guru (1.4K reputation)Forum Guru (1.4K reputation)
Great Britain
Hi Martin,
Thanks for these prompts I'll take a look. 

Hopefully next time I'll even spell certificate correctly!
Posted Mon 17 Apr 2017 7:08 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (30.8K reputation)Industry Member (30.8K reputation)Industry Member (30.8K reputation)Industry Member (30.8K reputation)Industry Member (30.8K reputation)Industry Member (30.8K reputation)Industry Member (30.8K reputation)Industry Member (30.8K reputation)Industry Member (30.8K reputation)
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 11 Sep 2019 4:41 PM Visits: 993
Hi David

As this birth was registered in Scariff registrar's district, County Clare in October-December 1929 it might be a good idea, in first instance, to contact Clare Civil Registration Service, email crs.midwest@hse.ie

Posted Wed 19 Apr 2017 6:55 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Forum Guru
Great Britain
Thank you Brian another option.
Posted Wed 19 Apr 2017 7:28 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Fri 16 Aug 2019 4:15 PM Visits: 133
Hi David, as Brian has suggested your first step is to obtain your mother's birth certificate - as you have her exact date of birth, the names of her parents (if not her mother's maiden name) and the approximate location, this should be enough however some online application forms request the mother's maiden name even though this is often why you want the birth certificate in the first place! Sometimes in these instances it can be enough to write 'unknown' as the form just needs something in that text box. That is why it would be best to contact the Clare office directly through the information Brian has provided. 

Once you receive the birth certificate, it will contain your grandmother's maiden name (as well as the location your mother was born). You will then be able to search for your grandparents' marriage record on www.irishgenealogy.ie which holds historic certificates (births over 100 years, marriages over 75 years and deaths over 50 years). The marriage record usually contains the names of the fathers of the bride and groom which will help you find your grandparents on the 1901 and 1911 census (www.census.nationalarchives.ie) as well as their own birth certificates through www.irishgenealogy.ie. 

To research further than this, we would recommend you visit www.rootsireland.ie which contains Church baptismal records as well as contact the local rootsireland office in County Clare: Clare Heritage and Genealogical Centre,Church Street, Corofin, County Clare, IrelandTel: +353 (0) 65 6837955 Email: clareheritage@eircom.net

All the best with your search. 

Gillian Hunt, 
Research Officer
Ulster Historical Foundation (rootsireland centre for Counties Antrim & Down)
Posted Sat 22 Apr 2017 2:10 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Forum Guru
Great Britain
Hi Gillian,
Thanks for the reply. I didn't realise you could enter 'unknown' on the form!
I think the surname was Ryan although I may be getting confused with the wife of one of my mother's brothers.
All will become clear very soon.
Thanks again 
Posted Sat 22 Apr 2017 6:28 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Forum Guru
Great Britain
Hi all,

Copy certificate received and I did get the maiden name totally incorrect!

Thanks again
David

Posted Wed 3 May 2017 7:26 PM
Question