This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Moyne Laghey Kee family

Moyne Laghey Kee family

Author
Esteemed User
Esteemed User (2K reputation)Esteemed User (2K reputation)Esteemed User (2K reputation)Esteemed User (2K reputation)Esteemed User (2K reputation)Esteemed User (2K reputation)Esteemed User (2K reputation)Esteemed User (2K reputation)Esteemed User (2K reputation)
Great Britain
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 31 Aug 2017 10:34 AM Visits: 43
Does anyone have any information on the Kee or Moyne Laghey in Cty Donegal please? My husband's Grandad, John Kee, was born there and David would like us to visit his roots as part of a 2 week driving tour of Ireland in July and August. We really hope this will still go ahead as, since booking our flight and car hire David has become seriously ill so we'll be giving this part of the trip first priority now as it feels even more important. John Kee moved to Chesterfield, Derbyshire in 1898 at the request of his cousin Robert Kilpatrick also from Cty Donegal we think, who had moved previously to become Chief Constable of Chesterfield Police. David would love any information on the area or the family please. Also, are Moyne Laghey and Laghey the same place? Thank you.
Posted Wed 21 Jun 2017 7:50 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Thu 4 Jul 2019 1:12 PM Visits: 816
Hello Yvonne,

I'm not an expert in this particular area myself, however, some of our other community members may be able to shed some light on your particular queries.  However, I would like to suggest having a browse of our Tracing Your Irish Ancestors Guide in the meantime.

You will also find some additional resources and contact information to relevant organisations who could possibly assist with your search, over on our Genealogical Resources section.

As mentioned before, I am sure that some of our other community members can provide you with some further information and guidance and I would like to wish you all the best in your search!

All the best,

Colin
Posted Wed 21 Jun 2017 9:08 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (2.9K reputation)Industry Member (2.9K reputation)Industry Member (2.9K reputation)Industry Member (2.9K reputation)Industry Member (2.9K reputation)Industry Member (2.9K reputation)Industry Member (2.9K reputation)Industry Member (2.9K reputation)Industry Member (2.9K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 11 Jun 2019 7:18 AM Visits: 48
Dear Yvonne

I live outside Laghey and know the Kee family and Kilpatrick families. I will reach out to them and let you know who is best to contact.  Moyne is a townland in Laghey, so it is the same place. My email is sinead.McGowan@solishotels.com if you contact me so I can put you in touch with the families
kind regards
Sinead
Posted Wed 21 Jun 2017 3:46 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Esteemed User
Esteemed User (2K reputation)Esteemed User (2K reputation)Esteemed User (2K reputation)Esteemed User (2K reputation)Esteemed User (2K reputation)Esteemed User (2K reputation)Esteemed User (2K reputation)Esteemed User (2K reputation)Esteemed User (2K reputation)
Great Britain
A very big thank you sent by email Sinaed. I also previously put a fuller post on 'General'.
Posted Wed 21 Jun 2017 4:08 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (2.9K reputation)Industry Member (2.9K reputation)Industry Member (2.9K reputation)Industry Member (2.9K reputation)Industry Member (2.9K reputation)Industry Member (2.9K reputation)Industry Member (2.9K reputation)Industry Member (2.9K reputation)Industry Member (2.9K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 11 Jun 2019 7:18 AM Visits: 48
Dear Yvonne
thank you I have received your email.
have been in touch with a number of locals in Laghey hopefully we will have it all sorted for your visit
kind regards
Sinead

Posted Wed 21 Jun 2017 4:32 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Esteemed User
Great Britain
That's so thoughtful - thank you again Sinead, (spelt correctly this time!)
Posted Wed 21 Jun 2017 4:36 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (31.2K reputation)Industry Member (31.2K reputation)Industry Member (31.2K reputation)Industry Member (31.2K reputation)Industry Member (31.2K reputation)Industry Member (31.2K reputation)Industry Member (31.2K reputation)Industry Member (31.2K reputation)Industry Member (31.2K reputation)
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 11 Sep 2019 4:41 PM Visits: 993
Hi Yvonne

Griffith's Valuation, published in this case in 1857, records a household headed by Samuel Kee farming 31 aces in the townland of Moyne, in civil parish of Drumhome, County Donegal (on maps accompanying Griffith's Valuation it is identified as property number 8).

An examination of 1901 census returns of Kee families in Moyne would suggest that you should examine the Church of Ireland (Anglican) registers of Drumhome parish which date back, with gaps, to 1691! Today this parish is known as Drumholm, KIlbarron and Rossnowlagh.
Posted Thu 22 Jun 2017 9:41 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Esteemed User
Great Britain
Thank you so much Brian. I intend to look at these too. We are both so happy with our responses and David has now made contact with a Kee in Moyne Laghey whose great grandfather is likely to be the brother of David's great grandad! We're really looking forward to our visit.
Posted Wed 28 Jun 2017 2:25 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)Community Expert (41.6K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Thu 4 Jul 2019 1:12 PM Visits: 816
Huge thanks to Sinead and Brian for providing their expertise!  This is truly wonderful.  Be sure to let us all know how you get along, Yvonne!

All the best,

Colin
Posted Thu 29 Jun 2017 10:20 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Esteemed User
Great Britain
Hello Colin
You asked that I let you know how we got on with our trip, and David's quest to find out more about his family roots. Well - it couldn't have gone better! We loved Ireland, and drove from Dublin, to Donegal, Derry, the Northern Ireland Coast including the Giants Causeway, Sligo, Ennis, Wexford, Ring of Kerry and Cork, as well as other stop-offs. Before our trip, a number of friends had told us that Ireland was magical, and they were right.
And then - thanks to Sinead responding to this site - we met family members David never knew he had. In Laghey is a Spa petrol station, supermarket, lawn mower showroom, cafe etc, under the Robert Kee umbrella, run by the sons Desmond, John and David (another!) It was confirmed that their great-grandad was David's grandad's brother, so we heard lots of family stories, saw photos and documents, and managed to make sense of some of the family history. Desmond took us to the church in Laghey where David's grandad was christened, which was moving in itself, but it was also a huge moment to be taken to the townland of Moyne to see the homestead (on the photograph), where his grandad, parents and four siblings had lived. Walking down a path, which was probably little-changed, and imagining his 19 year old grandad also walking down it for the last time to go to England, moved David to tears. Another, older cousin, was introduced when we visited her holiday home, a tiny cottage where she was born. So I should mention our trip to Letterkenny Civil Registry, where David got his Grandad's birth certificate, in order to apply for Irish citizenship!
Our big thanks for all the resources of this site and those who responded.
Posted Thu 31 Aug 2017 8:35 AM
Question