This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Irish coastguard records

Irish coastguard records

Author
Inactive User
Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 4 Sep 2019 8:42 AM Visits: 0
Ireland Family History Expert Session with Ireland Reaching Outhttps://www.facebook.com/IrelandFamilyHistory/

We host Expert Sessions regularly on the Facebook page so keep an eye out for the next one!

Question from Catherine Quinn:
Robert McHenry (or McKendry) from Ballycastle, Co. Antrim, was my great-grandfather. On his daughter's death certificate and his son's marriage certificate his occupation is shown as Coast Guard. What would he have been doing and where could I find out about it? (I can't find any reference to him at all in searches of databases on the internet so far.) I believe the family had some connection to Rathlin Island, but can't find any evidence of this except for family stories. Any ideas on how to pursue this?

Answer:
Have you accessed any potentially relevant records on the PRONI website? It may be worth checking out the national archives website at Kew, UK; they have certain records relating to the establishment and maintenance of Coast Guard services in Ireland - they may also have some pension records available.

Posted Fri 12 Feb 2016 8:46 AM
Question