This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

independent touring

independent touring

Author
Inactive User
Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 4 Sep 2019 8:42 AM Visits: 0
My husband & I are planning to tour Ireland in October for our 40th wedding anniversary. We would like to go right around but would like to stay in historic accommodation - manor houses, castles, et.  While we are on a fixed budget, we are wondering if there are suggestions of places we might stay that are affordable, yet outstanding (e.g. four star)? We are planning on spending about 14 nights driving around from Dublin to Dublin. As it is our first visit, we want to see most of the outstanding sights.
Posted Sun 14 Feb 2016 5:13 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (13.1K reputation)Industry Member (13.1K reputation)Industry Member (13.1K reputation)Industry Member (13.1K reputation)Industry Member (13.1K reputation)Industry Member (13.1K reputation)Industry Member (13.1K reputation)Industry Member (13.1K reputation)Industry Member (13.1K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Fri 10 May 2019 2:05 PM Visits: 174
Hi Glenda,
Congratulations on the wedding anniversary, 40 years, that's amazing! You will have a great time in Ireland, there are plenty of options for you. We have a number of castle hotels around the country that you can look at. Here are some of my favourite four star castle hotels:
Dublin : Clontarf Castle (slightly north of City Centre) and Kilinney Castle (to the South of Dublin City)
Cavan : Cabra Castle 
Meath : Dunboyne Castle - good for last night's stay as not too far from airport
Kerry : Ballyseede Castle - about a mile and a half out from Tralee
Causeway Coast : Ballygally Castle - if you watch Game of Thrones, it's not to far from the Iron Islands!!
Waterford Castle : The hotel is five star (on it's own island) but they do have four star self catering houses on the island that are really high spec and a good value option.
There are a number of other options, you can check Blue Book Hotels, Relais & Chateaux Hotels and Be Our Guest websites, I think you should have all options covered then.
14 days is a good length of time to hit most main points, you'll want to give yourself some time to explore though and not spend every day driving. Have a great time!
Sandra.

Posted Mon 15 Feb 2016 10:35 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 10 Jan 2017 3:51 PM Visits: 52
Hello Glenda, 

We would love to help you plan your special vacation in Ireland for your 40th Wedding Anniversary (congratulations)! 
We have a diverse spread of accommodations under our 2 hotel collections, Manor House Hotels & Irish Country Hotels.  

Manor House Hotels are special historic castles and country house hotels set in beautiful coastal locations or on their own lovely wooded estates.   You can check through the range of hotels here https://manorhousehotels.com/hotels/

Irish Country Hotels are family owned and run 3 &4 start accommodations - again they are in stunning coastal locations, or in Ireland's most popular towns such as Killarney and Westport.  These hotels are not as expensive as the Manor House Hotels so we can book a mix of both for you.  You can have a look through the Irish Country Hotels here  https://irishcountryhotels.com/hotels/

We can book all your accommodation for your trip through our central reservations office so you won't need to contact all the hotels separately.   Do you have your dates set yet, have you booked your flights?     Once we have the dates, we can work out your itinerary. 

We look forward to hearing from you! 
Kind regards
Mary
Tags
Posted Mon 15 Feb 2016 10:44 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)Industry Member (3.1K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 10 Jan 2017 3:51 PM Visits: 52
Sorry Glenda, that Manor House link doesn't seem to be working, please try this one instead https://manorhousehotels.com/hotels/

Posted Mon 15 Feb 2016 10:46 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (23.7K reputation)Industry Member (23.7K reputation)Industry Member (23.7K reputation)Industry Member (23.7K reputation)Industry Member (23.7K reputation)Industry Member (23.7K reputation)Industry Member (23.7K reputation)Industry Member (23.7K reputation)Industry Member (23.7K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Fri 11 Oct 2019 3:10 PM Visits: 452
Hi Glenda,
Sounds like a fantastic trip!
Autumn is a lovely time of year to visit Ireland.
One of the most authentic ways to experience Ireland is to stay in a bed & breakfast
B&Bs offer you the opportunity of staying in an Irish family home. We host over 800 different types of B&Bs on our website - town, country, farm and historic homes. The B&Bs are all independently owned and reflect a charming diversity of style and character where quality and service are paramount. All our B&Bs are rated by the tourist board from approved to 3,4 and 5 star. With the B&Bs all ideally located close to Ireland's most visited tourist attractions, you'll be right in the heart of things. B&Bs start from €35 per person sharing. Here is the link to our website for you to have a look at the different homes we have.  
B&B Ireland
http://www.bandbireland.com

Tags
Posted Mon 15 Feb 2016 10:48 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (6.8K reputation)Industry Member (6.8K reputation)Industry Member (6.8K reputation)Industry Member (6.8K reputation)Industry Member (6.8K reputation)Industry Member (6.8K reputation)Industry Member (6.8K reputation)Industry Member (6.8K reputation)Industry Member (6.8K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 27 Aug 2019 10:32 AM Visits: 158
Hello Glenda,
What a great celebration, your 40th Wedding Anniversary.  Congratulations to you both. Indeed Ireland is beautiful in the Autumn.  The earlier in the month that you can travel the better to take advantage of the daylight hours.  
I note all ready that you have had a response from Manor House Hotels which is the perfect "one stop shop" to plan a 14 day touring programme and stay in historic Manor Houses around the country.   No doubt your research will inform you that there is so much to see and experience in the South West of Ireland.  This is where the hotel that I work for is situated.  Parknasilla Resort and Spa - www.parknasillaresort.com - Parknasilla a member of the Manor House Hotel Collection is the perfect base to discover the Ring of Kerry, Killarney National Park, The Southern Section of the Wild Atlantic Way incorporating Skellig Michael and Valentia Island, The Beara Peninsula and the lovely towns of Kenmare & Bantry. 

Parknasilla enjoys one of the most spectacular locations of any hotel in Ireland.  We are on a 500 acre estate located overlooking the Atlantic Waters of The Kenmare Bay.  I would recommend a three day stay in one of our sea view rooms either a Manor Sea View Room or a Superior Double Room.
You can check all this out on our website and our reservation team are on hand to assist you with your reservation or the reservation team at the offices of  Manor House Hotels.  

Good wishes and "Happy Travel Planning"
Carmel

Posted Mon 15 Feb 2016 11:18 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)Inactive User (9.8K reputation)
Glenda,

40 Years, that's some achievement. Congratulations! When you are visiting Ireland make sure you spend some of your time driving along the Wild Atlantic Way http://www.wildatlanticway.com/home/ 

You must check out the Atlantic Drive, an inspiring and dramatic experience. Start from Mulranny in Mayo this drive takes you along a very rugged coast, dramatic rough seas and cliffs. You’ll be surrounded only by sheep and rough terrain as you make your way along the windy road which provides spectacular views of Clew Bay and its 365 islands. Why not take a break from the car and walk or cycle to experience The Great Western Greenway which connects two of Mayo's premier tourist locations, Westport and Achill Island. The Greenway offers an award-winning, family friendly, biking and walking trail with stunning scenery, historic villages, ancient ruined abbeys, arts and crafts, the Gourmet Greenway and Mulranny's famous goats.

Accommodation in Mayo is plentiful and varied, why not treat yourself to a 5 star experience in the multi award winning Ashford Castle.This magnificent Castle is set in 350 acres, on the picturesque shores of Lough Corrib and dates back to 1228. Other accommodation choices can be found here http://www.mayo.ie/accommodation I hope you will find what you are looking for.

Happy planning!

Anne Claire

Posted Mon 15 Feb 2016 11:49 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
First of all Glenda, congratulations to you and your husband! Ireland is the perfect place to celebrate such a special occasion! There are so many great recommendations here already, but as I am a hopeless romantic, I would love to make a few suggestions for you too! :)

There are lots of fabulous castle hotels here in Ireland which I think would be perfect for your romantic trip around the Emerald Isle. These include the Ballygally Castle Hotel, situated along the incredible Causeway Coastal Route and Ballynahinch Castle Hotel in Connemara, a beautiful and wild region in the west of Ireland. Cabra Castle Hotel is another great option, as Hello Ireland Tours mentioned above. This County Cavan hotel is located in Ireland's Ancient East region and therefore presents plenty of opportunity to immerse yourself in Irish history and heritage!

As you are on a fixed budget, you might also like to consider staying in a historical house. Newpark House is a real hidden gem located just outside Ennis in County Clare. The house is thought to have been built in the middle of the 18th century and would be the ideal home away from home if you wish to visit the Cliffs of Moher.  The Old Cable House in Waterville, County Kerry would be a fascinating place to stay as it was once the site of the first transatlantic telegraph cable from Ireland to the United States back in the 1860's. It is located deep in the south-west of Ireland, surrounded by breath-taking landscapes, and would be a great base for exploring the Ring of Kerry.

These are just a few suggestions for you Glenda, and you can find lots of other wonderful places to stay throughout the island of Ireland by taking a look at this website. As for Ireland's outstanding sights, I think this article may give you and your husband lots of inspiration!

I hope this helps you with your travel plans! If you need any more ideas, please just let me know! :)
Posted Mon 15 Feb 2016 12:27 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (6K reputation)Industry Member (6K reputation)Industry Member (6K reputation)Industry Member (6K reputation)Industry Member (6K reputation)Industry Member (6K reputation)Industry Member (6K reputation)Industry Member (6K reputation)Industry Member (6K reputation)
Portrush, Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 17 Jan 2019 11:26 AM Visits: 106
Hi Glenda
We are not a castle, but we are historic, affordable and outstanding!  Plus we are the perfect base from which to explore the stunning Causeway Coast in the North of Ireland.  We would love to welcome you and your husband to our home as part of your 40th anniversary celebrations.  Check us out at:  Shola Coach House B&B Portrush
Look forward to welcoming you here for your Ruby Anniversary.
Best Wishes
Sharon & Dave

Posted Mon 15 Feb 2016 8:51 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (3.6K reputation)Industry Member (3.6K reputation)Industry Member (3.6K reputation)Industry Member (3.6K reputation)Industry Member (3.6K reputation)Industry Member (3.6K reputation)Industry Member (3.6K reputation)Industry Member (3.6K reputation)Industry Member (3.6K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 12 Apr 2018 1:16 PM Visits: 44
Hi Glenda,
Congratulations on your wedding anniversary . You are onr of the lucky ones to have sailed through these wonderful 40 years.
I am just behind you with 36 years,,,
Well, I would suggest that you start your tour with a guided tour of Dublin to better appreciate our lovely country( not with me as I do only tours for French speakers). There is an historical tour starting from Trinity college with a very competent guide. look for " historical tour of Dublin"
For hotels, I would recommend to choose a mix of castle, manor house, B&B, to have a real feel of what we can offer.
Take your time, avoid the motorways( when possible), scenery and coast roads are best, but could be time consuming.
Don't forget to stop on one of our beaches for a walk.
Enjoy!
Best wishes for many more years
Mireille
Posted Tue 16 Feb 2016 6:55 AM
Question