This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Aran Islands

Aran Islands

Author
I'm into this
I'm into this (383 reputation)I'm into this (383 reputation)I'm into this (383 reputation)I'm into this (383 reputation)I'm into this (383 reputation)I'm into this (383 reputation)I'm into this (383 reputation)I'm into this (383 reputation)I'm into this (383 reputation)
Australia
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 29 Feb 2016 9:56 AM Visits: 3
I am travelling to Ireland in May and am hiring a car after doing a 10 day organised tour. I would like to go to the Aran Islands and would like to know what is the best way to get there. Is it worth going to all the islands, and can you get to them all in a day? If you need to stay where is the best place to stay and should I book ahead?
Posted Mon 29 Feb 2016 9:59 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (15.5K reputation)Supreme Being (15.5K reputation)Supreme Being (15.5K reputation)Supreme Being (15.5K reputation)Supreme Being (15.5K reputation)Supreme Being (15.5K reputation)Supreme Being (15.5K reputation)Supreme Being (15.5K reputation)Supreme Being (15.5K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 29 Jul 2016 5:57 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hi Jodie! Welcome to the forum. :)

Our member Doolin2Aran Ferries has the perfect answer to your question, you can read up on it on this thread. There are a lot of fun things to see on the Aran Islands so you might want to take your time there. On the biggest of the three Inishmore, you can find the prehistoric fort Dún Aengus. It lies just on the edge of the cliffs and you have some amazing views from there. 

The famed Aran sweaters originate from these islands too, every fisher family had their own pattern.
Posted Mon 29 Feb 2016 12:26 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (1.5K reputation)Forum Guru (1.5K reputation)Forum Guru (1.5K reputation)Forum Guru (1.5K reputation)Forum Guru (1.5K reputation)Forum Guru (1.5K reputation)Forum Guru (1.5K reputation)Forum Guru (1.5K reputation)Forum Guru (1.5K reputation)
Idaho Falls, Idaho-USA
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 14 Mar 2016 5:20 PM Visits: 28
Hi Jodie. I am very envious of your upcoming holiday. I was in Ireland in August for my second time and the day I landed back in the States I was missing it. Inis Mor, the largest of the islands is lovely. B n B's are, to me, the best places to stay for the price. I think you can get to all of the islands in one day but it will be exhausting. We sailed from Doolin when we went and spent the night on Inis Mor. Joe Watty's is an excellent pub to eat at by the way. On our way back we did the ocean view of the Cliff's of Moher which was awesome. If you can you may try to do that. Then take in the land view. Have a lovely holiday.
Posted Thu 3 Mar 2016 9:45 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (8.9K reputation)Industry Member (8.9K reputation)Industry Member (8.9K reputation)Industry Member (8.9K reputation)Industry Member (8.9K reputation)Industry Member (8.9K reputation)Industry Member (8.9K reputation)Industry Member (8.9K reputation)Industry Member (8.9K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 18 Dec 2018 10:12 AM Visits: 160
Hi Jodie,

You will have a great time during your trip to Ireland, I've been to Inishmore a few times, personally, I think it's best to pick one island and enjoy it at a slow pace. You get a better feel for it rather than racing around. Hire a bike at the pier and cycle around, it's about 4 1/2 miles from the pier up to Dun Aonghusa fort. If you take the low road, it's mostly flat except for a small bit of a hill at the end. The beaches are amazing so take your time and enjoy the clean air, you'll be starving by the time you get back to Joe Whatty's Pub !
Enjoy your time, I'm planning on heading out there myself for a few days in June and I can't wait!

Sandra.

Posted Mon 7 Mar 2016 11:20 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (1.5K reputation)Forum Guru (1.5K reputation)Forum Guru (1.5K reputation)Forum Guru (1.5K reputation)Forum Guru (1.5K reputation)Forum Guru (1.5K reputation)Forum Guru (1.5K reputation)Forum Guru (1.5K reputation)Forum Guru (1.5K reputation)
Idaho Falls, Idaho-USA
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 14 Mar 2016 5:20 PM Visits: 28
I think that the very best advice one can get, regardless of where one goes, is to take your time. Ireland has so much to offer and one really needs to just relax and take it in. I made the mistake of doing way too much the last time I visited. Next time will be spent exploring a few select areas. If you have the chance, Blarney Castle is lovely.
Posted Mon 7 Mar 2016 5:07 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Prestige User
Prestige User (3.8K reputation)Prestige User (3.8K reputation)Prestige User (3.8K reputation)Prestige User (3.8K reputation)Prestige User (3.8K reputation)Prestige User (3.8K reputation)Prestige User (3.8K reputation)Prestige User (3.8K reputation)Prestige User (3.8K reputation)
United States
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 12 Aug 2016 7:20 PM Visits: 61
My wife and I went to Inis Mor last June and absolutely loved it.  We were a bit pressed for time so we took the flight from Connemara Airport - all of 17 minutes and we took the scenic route!  You may already know the Aran Islands are a Gailtacht area.  Irish is spoken as the first language, but everyone I met also spoke English.  We took a pony and trap ride around the island and Patrick, the driver, was a treasure.

I will summarize this way.  We had an amazing time in Ireland and came home with tons of photos many memories and a strong desire to return (June again this year!), but my best memory is Inis Mor.
Posted Fri 11 Mar 2016 4:09 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (9.3K reputation)Industry Member (9.3K reputation)Industry Member (9.3K reputation)Industry Member (9.3K reputation)Industry Member (9.3K reputation)Industry Member (9.3K reputation)Industry Member (9.3K reputation)Industry Member (9.3K reputation)Industry Member (9.3K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: 14 hours ago Visits: 571
Hi Jodie
@Ghyslaine thank you for your mention (especially as you are a Supreme Being ;) )

Posted Fri 16 Nov 2018 3:56 PM
Question