This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

searching family tree of strong

searching family tree of strong

Author
Inactive User
Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 4 Sep 2019 7:42 AM Visits: 0
Hi I am trying to find out where my gggrandfather thomas strong was born he and his brother john came to australia as convicts in about 1850, I have all their trial details and their info on them when they came to australia, but I am unable to find out where they were born. Their convict papers say queens county their crime was in lisduff  thomas paid for his mother to come to australia in 1855 mary was also born queens county, they were all roman catholic she was a servant. I found that tomas did pay money to tbe irish relief fund but I do not know anymore info on them. Hoping someone may be able to put me in the right direction.
kaye
Posted Sun 6 Mar 2016 8:36 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Supreme Being
Supreme Being (22.1K reputation)Supreme Being (22.1K reputation)Supreme Being (22.1K reputation)Supreme Being (22.1K reputation)Supreme Being (22.1K reputation)Supreme Being (22.1K reputation)Supreme Being (22.1K reputation)Supreme Being (22.1K reputation)Supreme Being (22.1K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 10 Nov 2016 12:32 PM Visits: 906
Hi Kaye!
You will find that civil registration, as we know it today, was not introduced in Ireland until 1864. All of the records were kept in the form of baptismal, marriage and burial records at local parish churches, and what remains has been collected in genealogical centres assigned to their county. County Laois is part of the Midlands Region and is also located in the province of Leinster, and was formerly known as Queen's County. I would recommend you to get in touch with the Laois Genealogy Centre for more information. Also, take a look at this genealogy thread on our forum as you might find more useful information and tips.
I hope this helps. :)
Posted Mon 7 Mar 2016 4:22 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (1K reputation)Industry Member (1K reputation)Industry Member (1K reputation)Industry Member (1K reputation)Industry Member (1K reputation)Industry Member (1K reputation)Industry Member (1K reputation)Industry Member (1K reputation)Industry Member (1K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 15 May 2018 7:24 AM Visits: 8
Hi Kaye:
Many thanks for your query to Ireland.com.  You can also post this query to Ireland Reaching Out.  Their website address is:  www.irelandxo.com.  I'm a volunteer with County Clare and this project is volunteer based and assists those who want to reconnect with their parish of origin.  If you have any questions, please email me at:  tulla@irelandxo.com
Good luck with your research!
All the best,  Jane

Posted Mon 15 Aug 2016 3:55 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Prestige User
Prestige User (4.8K reputation)Prestige User (4.8K reputation)Prestige User (4.8K reputation)Prestige User (4.8K reputation)Prestige User (4.8K reputation)Prestige User (4.8K reputation)Prestige User (4.8K reputation)Prestige User (4.8K reputation)Prestige User (4.8K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 13 Apr 2017 5:55 PM Visits: 118
Hi Kaye,

Good links from Belen there. I took a look in the 'Tithes & Applotments' archives for Thomas Strong. Basically they are records for people paying tax on agricultural produce. There are nine records by that name but eight of them are in Mayo/Cavan & Donegal which are mainly in the North West of the country. There is one however in Co. Carlow which is neighbouring Co. Laois (Queens County). 

The record dates from 1825. Basically this guy was paying tax on crops 25 years before your deportation date. What age was your Thomas Strong in 1850? Nevertheless is could also be a family member (father?). In any case, that record is from the townland of Clogrennan in the parish of Cloydagh.

Looking on Google Maps, there is a townland now called 'Clogrennane'. It's only 50km from Lisduff. So perhaps it would be worth looking at the parish records for Co. Carlow?

I also found reference to a Thomas Strong in the Griffith's Valuation in 'Queens County' published in 1851 with the location in Mountmellick now in Co. Laois

Here are the links.
Tomas Strong tithes
Thomas Strong Griffiths Valuation

I hope that helps,

Brian
Posted Mon 15 Aug 2016 4:31 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (30.8K reputation)Industry Member (30.8K reputation)Industry Member (30.8K reputation)Industry Member (30.8K reputation)Industry Member (30.8K reputation)Industry Member (30.8K reputation)Industry Member (30.8K reputation)Industry Member (30.8K reputation)Industry Member (30.8K reputation)
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 11 Sep 2019 4:41 PM Visits: 993
Hi Kaye

Check out County Laois (formerly Queens County) database at www.laois.rootsireland.ie which contains transcripts of many Roman Catholic registers as a search of its index reveals prior to 1840 the births of two Thomas Strongs (1824 and 1834) and four of John Strong (1824, 1825, 1832 and 1833).

By taking out a one day subscription to this website you will be able to identify the names of the parents of all of the above children.

With best wishes

Brian
Posted Tue 16 Aug 2016 10:09 PM
Question