Family Holiday with a Campervan in December

Family Holiday with a Campervan in December

Author
Posted Sat 23 Sep 2017 2:58 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi there, 

We are planning a trip in Ireland in December.  We would like to travel with a Campervan but it appears that most of the camping sites are closed from November.  Could you possibly assist me with a list of places that would be open during this time.  Even if it is only places where we can park for the night that would help too. 

Thanks so much. 

Luzaan 
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 23 Sep 2017 3:52 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hi, Luzann.

It's lovely to hear you plan to be with us in December for a tour in a campervan. We have a plenty of previous community posts regarding Campervans in Ireland which would be helpful to you.

Campervan and driving in Ireland
Campervans and RV's
Caravaning in Ireland

All make reference to Camping Ireland who have a brochure and website listing all year round sites which would be a wonderful resource for you to have a look at.

There is also an article on Travelling by Road that would be useful to you too, giving details on driving laws, Toll roads, and road signs. Have you decided on an itinerary yet or are you still in the planning stage?

I'm sure our Industry partners and fellow members will have some advice also.

Hope this helps get you started,

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 28 Sep 2017 12:02 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Luzann

Dungannon Park in Co Tyrone is open all year round, 70 are park with great amenities, beautiful lake and fully staffed office with great coffee shop onsite. Log onto the following link for full details www.discovernorthernireland.com/Dungannon-Park-Dungannon-P3166
Hope this helps
Regards
Mary
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 28 Sep 2017 11:26 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Luzann,
Follow this link to a page on our website which lists sites that are open all year round. 
http://www.camping-ireland.ie/blog/sites-open-all-year-round

You will also find further details on each of the sites on the website
Regards

Aideen
Camping Ireland

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 28 Sep 2017 3:07 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Everyone, 

Thanks so much for all the replies.  We went ahead and made a booking with Bunk Campers as we are arriving in Dublin.  We are only planning to visit the Republic and not the North as we don't need any visas in that part.  We have not decided on the route or the places we would like to see, it is still a work in progress to keep everyone's ideas in mind.  Thank you for the links for the campsites, I will definitely go and have a look at that.  

Only thing that bothers me about the camper is the fact that everyone says the roads in Ireland are quite narrow.  We would like to drive up the Wild Atlantic Way.  Are there any roads you would say are too narrow to drive with a large camper (we are 6 adults)?

Thanks so much for all the help. 

Kindest Regards
Luzaan 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 29 Sep 2017 9:27 AM
View Quick Profile
Hello Luzann,

This is really amazing!  I'm glad that you've managed to book a campervan to jump into when you arrive in Dublin and begin your exploration.

You may like to take a look at our trip ideas page which has some really great ready-made itineraries, a number of them are specific to the Wild Atlantic Way.  I've had a little look on the Bunk Campers website, and they also appear to have an itinerary available for the Wild Atlantic Way.

Lastly, another great resource is the official Wild Atlantic Way website, there are a lot of great ideas and suggestions there, including a trip planner!

The Wild Atlantic Way is a really popular part of the island for those with campervans, and although I haven't explored it myself by campervan, I am sure some of our other members may be able to shed some light on your specific query.

I would be interested to find out if there are any particular parts of the Wild Atlantic Way you are keen to check out?  There's so much to discover!

All the very best,

Colin
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 4 Oct 2017 12:01 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello from The Shepherds Rest Campsite

We are open all year - except Christmas week.
http://shepherdsrestpub.com/winter-camping-sperrin-mountains-northern-ireland/

Colin
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 21 Nov 2017 11:44 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Luzaan,

How are you?

Your trip is coming up soon! 

I just thought to drop you a message and check if there was anything our community could help with before your travel.
Let us know if you have any question or need of further information.

We wish you and your family a great trip, and are looking forward to hearing from it all! 😊

Elodie