Visiting for 3 months

Visiting for 3 months

Author
Posted Sun 12 Nov 2017 2:55 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I will be in Ireland for 3 months between February 24th and May 20th.  I have my plan for staying in Dublin for the first month, I have booked an Airbnb.  I am wondering after this how easy it is to get around the rest of Ireland.  I don't really want to rent a car, so I am wondering if busses will go to many of the different towns and sites that are available to see.  
How easy it is to get around without a car I guess would be my question?  
Thank you for any insights that you may have regarding this. 
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 13 Nov 2017 12:50 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Robert,

The main train and bus networks link the major cities. However Dublin is generally the main hub and in most cases you have to travel back to Dublin to connect elsewhere. Here are the links to the main intercity service providers: The train provider is Irish Rail and the main coach/bus provider is Bus Éireann. From the major cites there are scores of independent bus companies that you can use to connect with your destinations.

If you are planning 2 months traveling the highways and byways of our beautiful country then a Lazy Days VW Camper may be just what you need to access the whole country. Our fun colorful modern campers have bags of character; they are a manageable size and very easy to drive, perfect for negotiating the typically small roads, towns & villages in Ireland.

Two months is wonderful amount of time to get off the beaten track and discover the real Ireland. There are three distinct regions for you to choose from:The Wild Atlantic Way, Ireland's Ancient East or Northern Ireland including the Causeway Coastal Route.

If you need a little help planning your route the team at Lazy Days are happy to help you plan a truly unique and adventurous holiday. We have LOTS of trip ideas, recommended routes, destinations and campsites to share with you. We are only a phone call or email away and are happy to help you throughout your booking and holiday experience.

Happy planning!

Best wishes,
Sue

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 13 Nov 2017 3:38 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)Industry Member (11.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 9:20 AM Visits: 5.9K
Hi Robert

Three months in Ireland sounds like an amazing trip!

As Lazy Days VW Camper Hire has explained; Bus Éireann and Irish Rail provide great options for bus and rail travel throughout Ireland. However, if you were considering travelling towards Northern Ireland and places such as Belfast, Giant's Causeway Coastal Route, the Walled City of Derry-Lononderry, as well as the many spectacular regions to visit, then Translink and NI Railways would provide suitable public transport options. 

Translink and NI Railways provide the option to purchase their iLink Card which allows for unlimited travel throughout Northern Ireland on any of their bus and/or train services. These cards can be purchased at daily, weekly and monthly rates which provide an extremely efficient and convenient method of travelling throughout Northern Ireland. More information on the Translink iLink Card can be found here

Translink operate regular bus services from the Busáras Bus Station in Dublin to both Belfast and Derry-Londonderry. The X3/X4 Translink bus service to Derry-Londonderry is perhaps the quickest way of getting to the city as this is a direct service. If you decide to also visit Belfast on your travels you may be interested in taking the train journey from Belfast to Derry-Londonderry. This has been described as one of the most scenic train journeys in the world as it hugs the beautiful Northern coastline which includes a series of marvellous landscapes. 

In the Walled City of Derry-Londonderry, you are spoilt with a choice of visitor attractions steeped in history. These include the likes of the 17th Century City Walls, Guildhall, World Famous Murals, St Columb’s Cathedral as well as many fascinating museums and exhibitions. The city also provides great options for tours, leisure, shopping and dining as well as excellent accommodation options should you choose to spend the night here. The city provides the perfect base for exploring Ireland as we are located on the gateway to Donegal/Wild Atlantic Way and the Causeway Coastal Route. More detailed information on what the city has to offer can be found in our official visitor guide here.

We would also invite you to contact us should you have any inquiries or questions at all. We are more than happy to help.

Kind Regards

Barry 

Web: www.visitderry.com
Tel: +44 (0) 28 7126 7284
Email: info@visitderry.com 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 14 Nov 2017 11:19 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Robert,

It seems you got some great information already!

As Sue and Barry mentioned, you have the Bus and Train network that covers the Island. 
Using public transport can be a great way to meet the locals or other travelers along the way.

This article about public transport in Ireland, does include great information including the link to a Journey Planner App that could be useful in your case. 

Are there any places you particularly want to visit?

Elodie
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 14 Nov 2017 11:45 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Elodie,
I am interested in seeing as much as I am able in the time I am there.  
I am very excited about my visit.
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 14 Nov 2017 2:58 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)Community Expert (39K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Robert,

In 3 month you should be able to explore the island for sure! Is this your first time in Ireland?

If you want we can check together things to do or places to visit in and around Dublin. As you will be based there for the first month, it seems like a right place to start.
Maybe some of the suggestion will help you decide where to go next.

How does that sound to you?

Elodie

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 15 Nov 2017 3:18 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Elodie,
Are you based in Dublin? I will be there for a month and will use this time to get my bearings and figure out the best way to get around.
Do you run a tour group? I will take any help I can get finding out ways to make my visit a very good one.

Thank you for the offer!
R
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 15 Nov 2017 1:24 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Island of Ireland
Hi Robert,

I am part of the Tourism Ireland Community Expert team, here to help with our member's questions. 😀

You have loads to see and do in Dublin!
Personally, I love the atmosphere in the Temple Bar area, the music, the arts, easy to spend days just enjoying the atmosphere of the city. The food is also fantastic, from traditional Irish dish to food of the world. I can never get enough of Deep Fried Brie with Cranberry sauce! 
But this is not even a third of what you can enjoy in this city!

On top of all the things to do and see in Dublin, you can visit some famous landmarks and sites on day tours. This will might be a good option for you, what do you think? You could, for example, visit Glendalough in Wicklow or even Newgrange in the county Meath.

To avoid me sending you many different links, we could gather ideas for your trip using a Scrapbook. It is easy to use!
You can save the things you like or are interested in from Tourism Ireland's website by just clicking on the "heart" on the left-hand side. 
I have already started one and added some useful articles, including "what to pack for Ireland," an overview of Dublin and the list of day tours you could join. Here is the scrapbook "Robert's Holiday."

Many of our members know a lot about Dublin, tours and much more. I am sure they will also have excellent suggestions to add.

Elodie

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 25 Nov 2017 6:36 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Elodie, 
I am wondering if you could shed some light on car rentals.  I am currently planning my budget and am thinking that renting a car will certainly allow me to get to see way more things while there.  
I am wondering if you can recommend a rental place for me that is a good one.  

Thank you, 
Robert
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 25 Nov 2017 6:44 PM
View Quick Profile
And thank you for the scrapbook.  The "What to Pack" was very helpful and uplifting!